Your Favourite Airline To/from LOS

Flummoxed

Read my post first.....  

723 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been flying with EVA for about three years now, ever since I learned of their deluxe economy class. I think this is good value for the money. I like their timing, my flight leaves YVR at 0100 or so by which time I have been up all day and am ready for sleep, then the final leg lands in BKK around noon, so you have the whole afternoon and evening for fun. When I flew over in November, I used my points to upgrade to their super business class and it was wonderful, I wish I could afford to fly up there all the time.

They did cancel my outgoing flight on Dec. 5, but when I went to their office the next day they were very helpful in re-booking me for the 10th - whoopee, four more nights of fun in BKK, and staying for free in the Imperial Queens Park too, courtesy of the Thai gov't. Also they gave me a free upgrade to Premium Laurel for the BKK-TPE flight, bless them.

I could get cheaper flights from Canada, but I'll stick with EVA, I like their service.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Interior2-LearJet-40.jpg

learjet45_mickbajcar.jpg

otherwise QATAR AIR or ETHIHAD

.... I think it depends very much where the destination is....

Qatar or Etihad, definitely.

Sri Lankan is good in business class, and there is a way to get upgraded (that I'm not going to publicize unless they take it away!)

I also went EVA Air with the family (Premium Economy) and they were very good to us.

If you go Business with Qatar, you won't care about the connection time in Doha, the Premium terminal is great!

I'd fly Singapore every time if I could afford it.While we're on the topic I may has well mention the worse.It has to be Air France by a distance.I've been more comfortable on a Greater Manchester double decker bus going into town.Has for the airport in Paris(when the roofs not fallen down)thats another story.

• 2 weeks later...

its a toughy.

qatar - my first trip to thailand was with qatar airways and a good return trip it was. the food was excellent 2 meals per each leg of the journey and the odd snack and drink which i thought was good for economy. the inflight entertainment was brilliant with up to date films and t.v programmes like friends and family guy, the cabin crew were excellent and everything was done with a smile. the only bad thing was the stopover in doha, i like getting off a plane at where im supposed to be not half way there

e.v.a - their planes were very spacious and the inflight entertainment was brilliant especially the documentaries and films. the cabin crew were the best on any airline i have ever flew with. but the food was bog standard and i had to wait 6hrs inbetween each meal without a snack which i thought was rough.

i would say e.v.a is the best.

really nervous about flying with thai airways with all the bad comments i have seen on here about them.

• 4 weeks later...

While my fav is Sing Air, from the US its 50% longer in time of travel. I like to travel Korean Air as its the quickest for me in travel time. Only one stop in Seoul for 4 hours. Also maybe the cheapest to travel from Atlanta.

For the first 10 years of flying to Thailand I used the airline I worked for (free tickets)

I guess no one here ever flew Cargolux airlines B747/200F Luxemburg-Dubai-Hong Kong-Bangkok-Abu Dhabi-Luxemburg (or Luxemburg-Dubai-Sillipore-Kuala-Lumphur-Bangkok), we had that most beautiful female Hong Kong FA on that route sometimes!

Also flew Qantas, BA, Luftwaffe, Swisair, China Airlines, KLM, Qatar and Etihad from bad to better.

Nowadays I fly mainly Etihad business class out of Brussels, which is closer to my second home than CDG for Qatar. No direct flights Brussels-BKK, so Etihad seems to be the best choice price/service wise, be it cattle class or business. I enjoy the 2-3 hours half way rest stop in Abu Dhabi, now with their excellent new business lounge in terminal 3.

ETIHAD have e-mailed me a quote of 23,000 baht, excluding tax, for Sept/Oct to London and back.

It shows a 09.15 departure from BKK, one hour in Abu Dhabi, and an 18.25 arrival at LHR.

Return trip is an overnight flight LHR-AUH, all day (including accommodation) in Abu Dhabi, and an overnight flight AUH-BKK.

Looks good. I am hoping to read of peoples' experiences of their flights on ETIHAD.

Etihad is probably the nicest airline on the BKK to UK route and I've tried them all on probably 40 return flights over the last 6 years. They are the only airline to give club class quality food in their cattle class complete with real cutlery, not plastic. Emirates and Qatar are not far behind and Gulf is ok'ish too. All the Middle East airlines have top-notch fleets and I rarely have the problems of IFE (in flight entertainment) not working that plagues so many of the other carriers, particularly BA I'm afraid to say, being a Brit. Oil money and it shows.

The only downside to Etihad is their hub which was grotesquely small and crowded at 3am in the morning. I say 'was', because the new terminal may have opened by now. I once stuck a complaint form in that airport's comment box saying it sucked (cannot for the life of me remember the name of their hub and have never stopped to look at the Middle east which does not interest me in the slightest). When I got back home 9 hours later there was already an e-mail from them saying 'we do get it and we are working on it' - great customer service.

In truth the difference between the airlines is not so great that you should stick to one. If you are a slightly tolerant individual that likes to sleep on planes then look for the cheapest flight with the shortest stopover (3 to 4 hours at even the nicest Middle East airport is soulless and breaks your sleep pattern too much) - or if a direct flight is only $100 more expensive take that. Stick your i-pod in your ear, ignore the sometimes arrogant staff (all airlines have them on that route, it's just luck of the draw) and go to sleep. Spen the difference on a nice hotel when you get to the other end.

Having said that I am amazed by the support on this thread by EVA. They must have changed their economy seats in the last 3 years since I flew with them - they were tiny and made for Taiwanese bums. The only airline I failed to get a few hours sleep on.

My only last thought is that I wish Branson was operating the BKK route - now there's a super airline that makes you feel young to fly. Maybe Virgin will buy the slots when BA finally crashes and burns I hope metaphorically not physically. BA deserves to crash and burn after 10 years or more of being one of the mediocre airlines of the world, following 10 years under Lord King as being the best airline in the world. I have been growing old with BA staff for far too many decades and too many of them are far more bitter and twisted than I am!

Edited by SantiSuk

No option to vote for Etihad or Qatar then - probably my number one and two choice - or is my eyesite failing me. A number of punters seem to share good thoughts about Etihad

I flew Eva to London at Xmas. Great except for the smell throughout the plane in the last half of the flight. They really needed to change the cabin air, far too much wind. Is that common with Eva

or a one off? I imagine it's a cost saving exercise -reheating high altitude air but.........

regards Bojo

I hate all airlines and airports equally. It's not the airlines fault. I just hate to travel. One air port stands out as the one I hate the most and that would be LAX.

This thread is 5 years old and the list of airlines for the poll is incomplete. A number of new budget airlines are flying to Thailand now, and some on the list possibly arn't. The voting would possibly not reflect members current thinking.

If anyone really gives a stuff perhaps they could start a new poll on the subject? (someone who can spell Qantas) :)

Edited by Old Croc

Another factor for me when choosing an airline is their arrival and departure time from Bangkok. Who wants to arrive into BKK at midnight, especially if you are going on by taxi to Pattaya or somewhere in the north. I prefer to arrive early morning and jump on one of the buses.

Also, who wants to check-in for a long-haul flight at 6.00am? That means little sleep and forced travel before your flight and few shops open flight-side.

Using a bus to and from the airport can save about 60 quid which is worth factoring in to that 'cheap?' air ticket.

Edited by syd barrett

fly between NZ and Thailand 4 times a year and all in economy. IMHO I rate the carriers as follows.

1: Thai New Aircraft, Clean aircraft, good food, great staff, plenty of room and soft seat. Now can do return trip 20 000 Baht

2: Emarites same as Thai Air, but best price is aprox 28 000 Baht

3: Singapore Air same as above but with bigger seats and more room. 32 000 Baht

4: Air NZ. Never used as the best price I could get has been 48 000 Baht

5: Air Asia. Hidden charges, but overall always got new aircraft and the staff have always been plesent. Bone hard and skinny seats.

6: QANTAS / Brittish Airways. Absolute <deleted>. Staff were rude and spent 80% of thier time pushing duty free products, aircraft was filthy (rubbish on floor and in back of seats when we boarded) Old aircraft; ie no tv in back of seat, food was foul tasting. Limited supply of clean headphones. All this and it still cost 33 000 baht. :)

• 1 month later...
From Scandinavia,,,,Thai airways :D and Finnair :) !

Are you having a laugh?

Finnair are the only airline to charge for spirits (hard liquor) on long haul flights.

(Apart from the budget airlines).

If you had a planeload of Finns you'd understand. :D