Your Favourite Airline To/from LOS

Flummoxed

Read my post first.....  

723 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gulf Air is awful, never again!

agreed.

airlines I've used to thailand:

BA

air france

qatar

etihad

gulf air

china airlines

phuket air

I know they take alot of stick but I think BA were the best. they are horrendously over-priced though with poor ticket flexibility.

qatar and etihad were good value. flexible tickets and I'd use both again.

china airlines were ok but the flight times were rubbish.

air france were ok but over-priced, generally rude staff & poor ticket flexibility too.

worst? phuket air. I was involved in the sharjah grounding in 2005 - when I fully understood the term 'you get what you paid for'.

As the OP was targetting Europe - BKK flights I've voted for my favourite flyer on that route which is BA. Loads of people love to bitch and whinge about BA service but that's only because they are Brits and it's in most of their genetic codes :o . BA have always provided an equivalent service to other carriers on that route and fly the most convenient times. If Singapore airlines flew that route then maybe they'd take my vote but they don't unless I fly via Changi which would be pretty stupid as my target is a direct flight (no hangovers - sorry stopovers - at scruffy raghead airports for me).

In reality my favourite airline is the one flying from my current location to/from Bangkok. Currently that is PB Air from/to Da Nang but previously it was a choice of AirAsia or Malaysian from/to KL despite GH's safety concerns. My only bitch is that as PB Air are the only carrier on that route the cost is rather high at around $300+ return. The other slight irritation is they only fly three days a week but the days fit in with anything from a long weekend upwards so it's no real bother.

If anyone flys Vietnamese airlines the service is okay but watch for the seat stealing Vietnamese. On the last two flights I specifically asked for a window seat, as I always do, only to find it taken by a local sat there looking dumb. So I shrug my shoulders and settle in the aisle seat and I sit there, solid as a rock, until the plane lands and comes to a complete stop and the fasten seat belt sign is off. Boy does that irritate the sh1t out of them. I could call the stewardess and cause a fuss to get my allotted seat but prefer the Asian way of dealing with jerks. :D

BA are ok if you get one of the premium classes, but ordinary economy is too cramped. Fly WT+, and it's better and there's always an outside chance of being put in Club World.

Personally, I think EVA can't be beaten from London, at least in premium economy ("Elite" class). Unless I manage to get a cheap business class with someone else, EVA will be my default in future.

Emirates - somewhat biased as the wife works for them in Dubai, but they offer decent enough economy service/meal/entertainment considering the crew on any given flight speaks up to twenty different languages and involves a mix of cultures.

Etihad - very similar in many respects to Emirates. The downside is that they fly to far fewer destinations and most flight involve a change in Abu Dhabi's airport circus/Odeon cinema/night bazaar. It's calmer on a Saturday afternoon in Jatujak!

TG - not the most modern aircraft or the best when it comes to entertainment options, but the crew are excellent and service invariably comes with a smile.

Malaysia - used them twice and reasonably impressed. A good option if your favourite is booked up.

Singapore - agree with Mr. Toad, although haven't flown on them for 5 years. Used to fly to/from the UK on Singapore when they were cheaper and represented excellent value for money. Didn't mind the wait in Singapore Airport ... like having to wait around in a nice hotel lobby.

• 4 weeks later...
In regards to Airlines my list is for Business Class Travel

Very Good

Qatar Airways

Qantas

New British Airways

Good

Emirates ( depends on plane )

Cathay

Bad

China Airlines

To Avoid

Thai Airways

I know we all have differing opinions but how in gods name can you put Qantas and BA in V.Good!?!?? Then Thai Airlines in Avoid I really do not understand!!!

Yes I am talking about Business class travel. The numerous times I have made the Thai air Business class travel it has always been excellent, Malaysia is pretty much on par also but get a mark down for not providing any toiletries (minor I know).

As for BA/Qantas . . . :o . . . personally I avoid both airlines like the plague both Biz and Cattle.

Emirates and Qatar are both outstanding. New jets, obedient and helpful staff, comfortable lounges (business & first class) I think Qatar wins the lounge award, they have their own separate building that your bussed over too for Business and fist class passengers, its huge with good food and not as crowded as Emirates in Dubai.

Emirates and Qatar are both outstanding. New jets, obedient and helpful staff, comfortable lounges (business & first class) I think Qatar wins the lounge award, they have their own separate building that your bussed over too for Business and fist class passengers, its huge with good food and not as crowded as Emirates in Dubai.

middle row in Emirates business has three seats :o

middle row in Emirates business has three seats :o

THREE SEATS in the middle! :D:D

I've never flown Emirates but I'd be horrified to board and see this! The Business class de-rigour is 2 seats together - I always take the upstairs also if on a 747.

Anyone BUT Thai Airways since I was told to F*** off when I tried to book a ticket direct in London :o .

Made a written complaint about attitude and language and never even received a reply. :D

I was a 6 flight a year regular with them. The cabins are old and very basic but for me the timings were convenient and the price often good.

However EVA Air beats them hands down ! Modern, courteous, easy to deal with but often booked up which doesnt surprise me given the price is excelllent and standard of service is so high.

middle row in Emirates business has three seats :D

THREE SEATS in the middle! :D:D

I've never flown Emirates but I'd be horrified to board and see this! The Business class de-rigour is 2 seats together - I always take the upstairs also if on a 747.

a number of airlines who bought 777s ordered three seats in business middle row. applies also to Cathay Pacific :o

Northwest or United Air lines for me.. :o:D:D

Same to me too.

I have been flying to BKK with Northwest exclusively since the 80's. I always satisfy when flying with them, the flight crews are very profesional, they usually get things done or things (if the problem rises ) under control, it easy to deal with them.

I feel safe when flying with these folks. :D

Unlike some airlines that employ model-like crews, they may look easy in your eyes but dealing with them is another story.

In latest years, occasionally I found myself flying to BKK with United or Korean, quite happy with this choice :D too.

Anyone BUT Thai Airways since I was told to F*** off when I tried to book a ticket direct in London :o .

Made a written complaint about attitude and language and never even received a reply. :D

I was a 6 flight a year regular with them. The cabins are old and very basic but for me the timings were convenient and the price often good.

However EVA Air beats them hands down ! Modern, courteous, easy to deal with but often booked up which doesnt surprise me given the price is excelllent and standard of service is so high.

Almost all of TG staff in every departments both on air and grounds are off-springs of people from middle-upper to upper classes who have very good connections with high ranking personnels working for TG or politicians. Just imagines these people never have to struggle on anything since they were born with silver spoons so forget expecting any services they are supposed to give you just because it's their jobs. They don't care. They will never be fired.

You know the other day I saw their commercial ad on TV and I had to laugh at their "Khun Ka" campaign. It's just totally opposite to what's actually happening in their organization. The ad shows passenger checking-in then they hear the word "Khun Ka" calling out to them, they look up to the sky, then the scenes show TG staff in their beautiful uniforms from check-in counter, chef in the kitchen with all the sous-chefs, mechanic checking the planes, to about 50 reservation people in one room (and you have to wonder how come they let you wait for hours before they take your call). Then it says something like TG's always there to serve you the best service or something and ends with its old-time slogan "Rak Khun Tao Fa". And I had to laugh....and I laughed really hard.

I used to like them a lot and I flew with them all the time but I had to give up they became really bad and the really bad thing is they do know what's going on but they don't really focus on fixing their personnels instead they decided to spend a lot on ad campaign. I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on to a much better service from EVA Air.

Hmmmm so what did you say to provoke that response? Sorry but there is always 2 sides to the story in the past I've spoke with Thai air on an untold number of occasions and have always recieved courteous replies.

My last conversation was the other week after booking tickets for my parents in Jan they made the schedule changes that completely screwed up their travel arrangements, after a conversation with the reservation staff they passed on the info to the Communcation and Marketing manager in the UK who replied and arrange a full refund. I then rebooked the tickets to suit.

People just seem to want to whinge about anything Thai.

As for Thai 777s I flow back from Sydney late last year in Biz on the 777s and can confirm there is only 2 seats in the middle aisle. :D

Nice to know about the Cathay and Emirates - if I ever end up booking with them in Biz I'll be checking the seating layout when choosing my seat!

Hmmmm so what did you say to provoke that response? Sorry but there is always 2 sides to the story in the past I've spoke with Thai air on an untold number of occasions and have always recieved courteous replies.

My last conversation was the other week after booking tickets for my parents in Jan they made the schedule changes that completely screwed up their travel arrangements, after a conversation with the reservation staff they passed on the info to the Communcation and Marketing manager in the UK who replied and arrange a full refund. I then rebooked the tickets to suit.

People just seem to want to whinge about anything Thai.

As for Thai 777s I flow back from Sydney late last year in Biz on the 777s and can confirm there is only 2 seats in the middle aisle. :D

Nice to know about the Cathay and Emirates - if I ever end up booking with them in Biz I'll be checking the seating layout when choosing my seat!

My crime was to question why they were giving me different information to that stated on the Thai website booking information and was told " My system is more up to date if you dont like it F*** Off ! we're busy !"

After becoming fed up with US carriers, I will now fly almost any international carrier before I choose Northwest (soon to be Delta) or United. Take your pick, Eva, JAL, Thai, KAL - any of them and likely others.

ETIHAD have e-mailed me a quote of 23,000 baht, excluding tax, for Sept/Oct to London and back.

It shows a 09.15 departure from BKK, one hour in Abu Dhabi, and an 18.25 arrival at LHR.

Return trip is an overnight flight LHR-AUH, all day (including accommodation) in Abu Dhabi, and an overnight flight AUH-BKK.

Looks good. I am hoping to read of peoples' experiences of their flights on ETIHAD.

Flown a few times with Eithad no problems whatsoever and the food was the best I've had in economy on long haul.

Having flown from the UK lots of times to LOS, Etihad knocks spots off the lot, Business class is superb, massage seats that fold down to a full bed even I can lie flat out in .

The stop at Abu Dhabi can be a nuisance but I like the couple of hour break to stretch my legs.

If you want to go non stop then Singapore Airline is still ok.

BA, Thai, KLM are very hit and miss, hate to say it but Thai was the pits and that was business class.

I flew EVA premiun and it is fine.

China Airlines are crap......and their safety record about the worst in the business. look up the net for their accidents and worry.

I flew business for 2 years with them One day the flight to Ams was late. No one at Ams to sort out the missed flight (I had a through ticket from CA only), London did a little after 100 euro in calls. They refused to put me in First that day and said they could not guarantee to ly me the next day either. I got myself onto a KLM flight..economy (really really bad!!). I paid CA business and they flew me econ.

Would you believe CA refused at first to fly me Business for my next flight if I paid econ??? Took months and hours of my time. I am finished with them after I use my upogrades.

:o:D:DAVOID CHINA AIRLINES. :D:D:D

I am thinking of trying ETIHAD this September (see 'New Kid on the Block, on this section of this Forum).

About seven years ago, I came LHR-?-BKK with a Middle East airline, whose name I can't remember (may have been GULF, but we didn't change at Abu Dhabi).

New plane, good service, overnight LHR-?, hotel room for the day in a small and rather scruffy town whose name I can't remember, then ?-BKK overnight.

I thought it was quite good, and would have been even better in the reverse direction as BKK-? would have been a daytime flight, then a night in a hotel, and another day flight to LHR.

Does anybody recognise the above route/airline?. If so, please tell me. (It wasn't Qatar).

Not to remember who I have flown with, and to where, must be a classic sign of age!!!

Gulf Air is based out of Bahrain, Abu-Dhabi, and Oman, so you could have transited any of the aforementioned cities if you flew GA.

I mostly whent with SQ to Brussels till they stopped there direct flights to there so I change to TK (turkish) which as a good layover time at istanbul about 2 hours to connecting flight to BRU same on the way back BRU-IST-BKK the only problems is There cabincrew are not so friendly almost cannot smile, food so so if lucky you got a plane with full entertainment.there pricing is good let see how it will go up they joined star alliance

gdk

EVA now.

I used to fly TG but after my last flight with lost luggage (thank you Star Alliance) and realizing there was no difference between the B777 configurations or Bizz class service, save for the $1,000.+ lower cost on EVA I said F-it. As others have said, most of TG's fleet is decrepit and filthy with food that is on par with EVA's.

True, I don't get my star alliance points and even though I have quickly made Gold Status on EVA, which gets me nothing, I realized that the money I save on airfare more than compensates for the off chance I might score a bizz class reward ticket.

I loved SQ but the $2,000+ additional cost compared to EVA doesn't warrant my ticket purchase.

As many have noted, EVA is tight on the alcohol, the food is mediocre (like I want to eat pig trotter special, or sea cucumbers), the reward tickets are next to non existant and no one speaks english coherently. However, if you add up the money you save after 3 roundtrips in J class, you can buy another ticket compared to to all the other airlines except China Airlines. EVA can even transfer your bags to a connecting TG flight so it works for me.