Your Favourite Airline To/from LOS

Flummoxed

Read my post first.....  

723 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been flying to Thailand from the United States, from Saudi Arabia, from the Philippines and from Okinawa.

I've made 35 trips in all since 1971.

My favorite airline is EVA. I like the Deluxe Class which is very affordable (just $180 or so above coach fare from Los Angeles or San Francisco) and I like the short layover in Taiwan. Small airport, easy to navigate.

I've travelled to 39 countries and visited all 50 United States during my 68 years of life. Worked overseas for about 1/3 of my adult life.

My favorite all time airlines in order would be:

Singapore Airlines

Cathay Pacific

EVA

Scandinavian

Believe it or not, I have NEVER flown Thai Int'l. Main reason is pricing. They have ALWAYS been much higher than EVA, China, and Northwest, United, American, Delta, Continental, Philippines, Malaysian, Cathay Pacific, Japan, ANA, etc.

My worst flight into/out of Bangkok was on Northwest and 2nd worst on United. American carriers just don't get the customer service idea and seem to be too wrapped up in "union" issues. For them, it is a "me first" attitude IMHO.

Hope no matter what airline you take to get to the Land of Smiles, you just keep making the trips as often as possible.

Ken Bower

Visiting Pattaya Beach since 1971

Mostly fly Emirates Economy unless I get a free upgrade. The main gripe is the seat pitch and that they squeeze 10 seats across instead of the usual 9. Doesn't really bother me though as I'm 5' 6" non hefty female. I'd feel differently if I was a large 6'2" male I expect. The layover at Dubai is a pain though. anything from an hour to four hours. Usually around 3 hours.

Food very good for Economy, service and IFE good too and they fly from Gatwick which is far more convenient than Heathrow for me.

Other carriers I've tried in recent years were:

Royal Jordanian - Never again. The flight attendants are the surliest unpleasant b*tch*s I've ever come across. The pervading attitude of ground and air staff to passengers is one of utter disdain and uncalled for rudeness. The planes are ancient and shabby. The only good thing is the seat pitch. You'd certainly have to be starving or a masochist to eat the inflight meal. As for the 'Entertainment' I've had more fun watching paint dry.

The layover at Jordan was 6 hours of sheer misery. Mainly because the place is a toilet.

They are one of the cheapest however. Personally I 'd rather walk than fly with them ever again.

Sri Lanka Air - OK all round and the flight attendants are really lovely. They're part of Emirates now so food etc comparable.

Gulf air - Everything OK and a good deal for the ticket price. I rather like that they come round after dinner with coffee, brandy, liqueurs and fruit bowl. We poor cattle in Economy don't get many of the elegances inflight. They also served tea and scones half way as well as the usual 2 meals.

I'm trying Eva Air next week as it's a non stop flight and their Evergreen deluxe seems to be quite a bargain.

:o Qantas used to mean Queer and Nice Types of Australian Stewards...not sure if its changed......

Fitting Ptv's to all seats in a 744 costs around 1.5 mill Us$ so not cheap as it means putting in a LAN.ciao

or

Quick And Nasty Typical Australian Service....

I hate Northwest, but always take their flight to LOS. I live right by their Detroit hub. I can get flights on other airlines to domestic locations, but all the International flights are Northwest. *sigh*

The only good news is that their miles program is okay. Two round trips to LOS in one year gets you Silver Elite status, which gives you a 50% bonus on all miles flown. An annual round trip thereafter will sustain Elite status. Also, you can use those miles to upgrade either the trip there or back to Business Class, (not both) and pretty much keep an even miles balance once you get that 50% bonus.

In coach, the food is good to Narita, but sucks from Narita to BKK. The food in Business Class rules; real cloth napkins, real white tablecloths for your tray table, real silverware and china instead of plastic and paper, stemmed glasses for your wine.

The service is terrible, except in Business class where it is excellent.

The coach seats are too small, with no leg room, and I'm only 5'4" so I don't need a lot of leg room. In Business Class, the seats are roomy with about 5 feet of leg room.

Worst of all is the cost. It's about $1400 coach, over $3000 Business Class.

it was polled here a few months ago ,

however Eva is tops

and Gulf Air is absouletly diabolical .

broke down in both directions , big delays , no compensations , seatback videos not working , terible food, toliets in a very filthy state , idle cabin crew , bad stomach after eating an ice cream that they gave out . no ground staff to explain the delays .

never again with Gulf Air ...they are the pits

however Eva is tops

broke down in both directions , big delays , no compensations , seatback videos not working , terible food, toliets in a very filthy state , idle cabin crew , bad stomach after eating an ice cream that they gave out  . no ground staff to explain the delays .

however Eva is tops

broke down in both directions , big delays , no compensations , seatback videos not working , terible food, toliets in a very filthy state , idle cabin crew , bad stomach after eating an ice cream that they gave out  . no ground staff to explain the delays .

Sounds like a completely different airline! My experience was very good but perhaps it's a different route. Mine was London HR - Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing the annual pilgrimage back to the states with wife and little piglet early in December. EVA as far as they'll take us, LAX, then American Airlines from there. Would gripe about AA, but they were quite decent last year, perhaps having a little piglet helps.

Economy Deluxe on EVA both ways and hopefully the lounge. I say hopefully because this was a non-flight year for me and my card reverts from Silver to a lower status if I don't travel before end of November. The very nice lady at their Bangkok office is trying to help me with that. Hope she succeeds. Little Piglet is going to need an overhaul in Taiwan. :o:D

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'2" and not skinny, so if it's economy it has to be Thai (for the legroom). I do miss the seatback TVs, but I've got a gold card with them so console myself with the 40kg baggage allowance...

The ideal economy class (made up from other economy classes) would probably be

Thai's legroom, and cabin staff for how they look after the kids, and the fact that, one time, they actually moved people to give me 3 seats together so I could lie down (I'm assuming because of my gold card)

Thais food (except breakfast)

KLM's breakfast

BAs radio (especially the comedy channel)

South African Airlines TV system. (lets you watch movies when you want to watch it, pause them when you go to the toilet, etc as each screen is independent. i.e. not on a shared loop with all movies starting at the same time so that you end up with a 40 minute wait if you watch the short movie).- Although here, anybody's is better than Thai's...

I've not flown SIA (as I prefer direct flights where available)

There's been a bit of talk about airline quality the last few days so I started this poll.

What is your current sweetheart airline? Why is this so?

Which airline do you hate? What terrible crime did they commit to earn your wrath?

I've done my best to include all of the carriers but there's a choice limit in the poll. Also, as I fly regularly to and from Europe, that is the route I'm interested in.

Personally, I've only recently started using Thai air after years of long haul flights with other airlines. My first impression was favourable. Economy class has plenty of legroom although I'll fly business class next time. Bit dissapointed there were no TV's in the back of the seats though. Sexy little air hostesses however but a bit dizzy. Landing was as 'Smooth as silk'.

I loved Cathay Pacific when I lived in Hong Kong.

Sri Lankan used to be great when I bobbed between HK and BKK but now I think they've gone downhill.

Air New Zealand....F**kin' crap, Cabin crew had appauling attitude. Will never fly with them again.

Do you fly direct with the businessmen or penny pinch on the stopover routes with all the lager louts from England. As far as I can tell, there are only 3 or 4 airlines that fly direct to/from LHR (crap airport)....

....comments about Thai Air are particularly welcome.

:o

I fly from Athens to BKK once or twice a year. Generally use Thai International as they lowest price flying direct on that route. (Singapore highest, Olympic Air -Greek- next, Thai lowest) Love Singapore Air. Thai was better a couple of years ago, gone downhill lately. As to the TV's in seat backs on Thai, depends on the plane type, some have them and some don't. Used to fly Copenhagen to BKK on SAS which was good service. Once flew KLM from Amsterdam to BKK, which went thru Saudi Arabia. Spent about 90 minutes on ground in Dahran(sp?). Wouldn't let us off plane, no air-con while they were refueling. Was night time but still hotter than H*LL on plane. Worst flight I was ever on (not to BKK) was an Egyptian Air. Bad food, poor service, and a stewardess that I swear had a hunchback hump. Can't believe somebody actually voted for Delta and United as best airlines. NEVER use an American airline.

:D

P.S. last three years been flying business class...so don't know what Thai economy class like since then.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You forgot Northwest, significant as one of the only two US carriers to service Bangkok.  Not that many people will pick them as the best.

No, they are pretty awful. But, they and Asiana are the only choices when you fly from Saipan, where I live now, to LOS.

Actually, the new sleeper seats in business class on NW are pretty good. Absolutely flat and almost horizontal. That said, the service sucks, especially when provided by one of the aging Minnesota cows who wants to spend the flight sitting in the galley reading her romance novel and eating her brown bag lunch!

My vote goes for Emirates closely followed by Singapore and Malaysian airlines.

Thai has great service even if the aircraft are dated. Silver frequent flyer card in 4 weeks. The lady seated next to me on a flight from Oz to BKK won a return trip NZ-London in one of their free inflight draws.

I won’t touch BA (sardine airlines + arrogant lazy staff) or Qantas (arrogant lazy staff) unless there are no other options available.

Luckily Saudia don’t fly to BKK anymore. They take the cake for the worst airline I’ve ever been forced to fly with.

I’ve just flown 4 long haul and 2 short legs on Cathay for the first time. I enjoyed their service although the crew on the trip from Bahrain to Riyadh was a bit on edge.

I fly TG regularly, bit of a sucker for the air-miles now!

Has anybody been with Phuket Air? I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I think they fly direct from Gatwick, which is a bit of a trek for me. They're around £400 direct, which is good value but maybe you get what you pay for?

You forgot Northwest, significant as one of the only two US carriers to service Bangkok.  Not that many people will pick them as the best.

No, they are pretty awful. But, they and Asiana are the only choices when you fly from Saipan, where I live now, to LOS.

Actually, the new sleeper seats in business class on NW are pretty good. Absolutely flat and almost horizontal. That said, the service sucks, especially when provided by one of the aging Minnesota cows who wants to spend the flight sitting in the galley reading her romance novel and eating her brown bag lunch!

I've used NW plenty of times going to and fro Saipan. Their connecting flight times are ok though. Arrive Narita from BKK and the Saipan flight has already left so get to stay a free night in Narita. Arriving Narita from Saipan their BKK flight is already leaving so another free night in Narita. Nice little breaks but can get boring after a while. Good for the kids to take them to Ueno zoo on the Saipan - BKK stretch.

I've used NW plenty of times going to and fro Saipan. Their connecting flight times are ok though. Arrive Narita from BKK and the Saipan flight has already left so get to stay a free night in Narita. Arriving Narita from Saipan their BKK flight is already leaving so another free night in Narita. Nice little breaks but can get boring after a while. Good for the kids to take them to Ueno zoo on the Saipan - BKK stretch.

I used to enjoy those overnights as well. In fact, I even put up a popular web page on what to do:

Narita Layover Page

Now that NW has the Saipan/Nagoya/Narita flights that arrive in time for the Narita/Bangkok flight you no longer get those free overnights at the Radisson....

Hi All

British airways are the best, forget about the in-flight service this is not the real issue.

The issue is what the air line will do when things go wrong .

tickets and luggage are the main things that get <deleted>#### up.

after many years of long hall flights I can tell you all Ba are the stars of the lot

they are a bit snobby in the air but they come through when it matters

Ba are a great air line,

And no I don?t work for them, I just recognize a very good service when

Things go down. and they do when you travel a lot.

Quote bob a job

".....British airways are the best, forget about the in-flight service this is not the real issue.

tickets and luggage are the main things that get <deleted>#### up......"

I think you just gave a good excuse to stay away from BA in your reply.

In my many years of travel, apart from Saudias excellent record of delays, cancellations and lost and damaged baggage, the only other airline to have lost my luggage, provided poor leg room, poor service, delayed flights, bumped me off due to overbookings and given me ticket problems has been BA.

Maybe this is the reason BA is so good at dealing with ticket and luggage problems. They are well experienced with it. :o:D

Cheers

NL

Hi All

British airways are the best, forget about the in-flight service this is not the real issue.

tickets and  luggage are the main things that get <deleted>#### up.

after many years of long hall flights I can tell you all Ba are the stars of the lot

they are a bit snobby in the air  but they come through when it matters

Ba are a great air line,

And no I don?t work for them, I just recognize a very good service when

Things go down. and they do when you travel a lot.

55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

555555555555555555555555555555 :o:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Bob a job, best laugh I've had all week. You were joking, weren't you? :D

I once (in 1986) flew BA from LHR to SIN, because my company had booked me on it without asking me.

Awful. The engineer sitting beside me and I had just finished writing a notice in our best draughtsmanship, in the hope that it would pass as official, when we landed at SIN with a real bump. A suave voice came on "This is your Captain apologising for the heavy landing. It was due to circumstances completely outside my control. I am not able to do anything about the complete ineptitude of the First Officers that they roster with me".

I guess he already had his Early Retirement package in the bag!!

We pinned up the notice as we disembarked. It said "Advice to passengers: If you would prefer a tastier meal, please feel free to ignore our food and eat the plastic tray".

Emirates Emirates Emirates.

How the ###### is Thai riding so high in poll.

B A are the worlds most hated airline.

So for me Emirates everytime, good service, always get an upgrade exept when travelling with the wife and good airmiles system with Skywards.

mike

I fly from the West Coast of the US (SFO). I would have to say EVA because of good arrivals and the seat configuration in Delux. If flying economy, I would have to say Cathay. Their planes are immaculate as are their attendents. The worst I have flown was United. Terrible arrivals and the entertain systems are lacking.

As for as airports, I like Changi (Singapore) followed by Hong Kong. The worst on my travels are Narita and Chiang Kai-Shek (Taipei).

So I take to take my favorite airline through my least favorite airport to get to my favorite place, LOS.