Aussie pensioner just wants the Thais to lend a hand to keep their country clean

rooster59

Aussie pensioner just wants the Thais to lend a hand to keep their country clean

20210226_164254-1024x559.jpg

Thai media 77kaoded caught up with a 62 year old Australian pensioner who was busy keeping her neighborhood in Krabi in the south of Thailand clean by picking up trash.

Kate N. said she had retired to the area with her husband and came to live in the Nong Talay area.

She didn't want to apportion blame for the mess caused by the litter she just wanted to keep the place clean and encourage others to do so too.

Attempting to explain herself in a few Thai words she said she was married and wanted to make the area "suay maak gwaa" or more beautiful.

She didn't think it was worth trying to get the locals not to litter in the first place.

But she wanted them to help clear it up.

I would like the Thai people to help me", she told a reporter. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-27

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

If she wants to clean up, good for her, but saying " I would like the Thai people to help me"is  insulting IMO

I think many Asians have issues with this sort of implication. They view it as negative (petty IMO) rather than seeing the positive in it alongside helping out.

Edited by Solinvictus

28 minutes ago, giddyup said:

She's leading by example and encouraging the Thais to help, she's not preaching in the slightest. If things don't change Thailand will just be one huge garbage dump in 10 years, but I guess some people don't mind living like that.

The Thais don't care, so why should anyone else? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

No idea what you are getting at. 

I'm not surprised. My point is people can change and change can be brought about in various ways. Singapore used to be an absolute sh*thole, not any longer. Wonder how that happened?

• Like 1

I get a gang of kids together once a week, and we all go down the village streets picking up rubbish. Whoever gets the most gets Bht 20. It works, although I wonder whether some of the kids go on a Friday depositing rubbish themselves so they get the most at weekend. LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Stupid statement. Somebody who is making an effort and leading by example is deluded?  So why don't we all sit on our ars*s and let the place go to hell. Just move on when this dump is full.

I don't much care to be honest.  I am only here, curtesy of the Thai Government and its rules, for a maximum of 12 months.  Why should I care when they don't. Its not my country, as they make abundantly clear each extension renewal day.  Loyalty and commitment should work both ways.  They have none to me and I return that feeling.   I look after my own rubbish and recycle my own stuff, but I sure as hell will not do theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I'm not surprised. My point is people can change and change can be brought about in various ways. Singapore used to be an absolute sh*thole, not any longer. Wonder how that happened?

By government dictate, it will not happen here.