Bike Insurance (Pattaya) - Recommendations?

Hi guys, 

I'm about to buy a Honda Click 125cc (2021) and since this is my first bike I'm kind of lost in terms of insurance. Where would you suggest me go? Have a vague memory of 'AA Insurance'. 

In regards to coverage. Doesn't have to be triple-AAA, just decent enough protection for me and my opponent. 

Again - I'm completely lost here, so any help would be appreciated. I'm going to Mityon and buying my first bike on monday coming week. 

45 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thank you @scubascuba3!

Bless. 

You actually answered my second question as well - compulsory insurance. This is paid and registered via the dealer? I'll make sure it's the compulsory insurance I sign and not the added one, then. ????

Thanks again! 

Yes dealer will arrange tax and compulsory insurance, both around 500 baht total. 

I only got 1st class for the first year. Most 1st class is only available for the first 3 years anyway and 2nd and 3rd class is similar price but nowhere near as good, so I just switched to compulsory insurance only 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most 1st class is only available for the first 3 years anyway

Not even remotely true.

2014 PCX - 2001 HD - 2014 CB650F

All on First Class since I bought them

Anyone who does not have First Class better keep a plane ticket out of the country ready and waiting - run into a 4 million Merc and see what happens.

26 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Not even remotely true.

Anyone who does not have First Class better keep a plane ticket out of the country ready and waiting - run into a 4 million Merc and see what happens.

3rd class insurance pays for third party property damage, so 1st class doesn't make much sense on a cheap bike.

35 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Until you have an accident

Buying a replacement for my cheap bike doesn't break my bank, which is why I call it cheap.

Having insurance usually only makes sense for things which you couldn't afford to pay for or would at least hurt.

So 3rd class insurance for the case that you crash into an expensive car makes sense, 1st class insurance which pays 30k if I should total my Honda Wave not really.

Edited by jackdd

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Not even remotely true.

Pointless getting 1st class for that old thing. Usually insurance value goes down 10% a year. When I looked into it 2-3 years ago, I saw several times that 1st class only available for first 3 years, daft I know but that's what I saw, maybe it's changed or you can find 1st class at poor value no doubt

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pointless getting 1st class for that old thing.

OP buying 2021 Click

And don't just look at the payout - look at the services the insurance company provides if you are involved in an accident.

Bail Bond, negotiations with other parties, their insurance company, and the police for example.

The few baht you pay will return to you many thousand fold.

IM not so HO First Class is the only way to go.

PS - those who can not get it from their present company, check out MSIG

They were the only ones to offer First Class last spring when I bought my 2014 Forza.

I would not rely solely on compulsory insurance - you will be very sorry if you get injured in an accident.  You may have separate accident insurance but check it covers riding motorbikes - most doesn't.

I can't recommend them because I never actually got around to using them (yet) but Roojai.com quoted me around half what my existing insurers wanted.  I seem to remember that their medical cover was also lower though.

Whatever you go for, check the amounts for each type of cover are adequate - it doesn't take much to run up a large hospital bill.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

3rd class insurance pays for third party property damage, so 1st class doesn't make much sense on a cheap bike.

As the saying goes, if you have a 10 baht head, buy 10 baht insurance.  I value my head at a little more than 10 baht. My first consideration when buying insurance is not cover for the bike or the third party - its my hospital bills if I'm injured.

Edited by KhaoYai

13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You may have separate accident insurance but check it covers riding motorbikes - most doesn't.

Axa does a decent Personal Accident Insurance, up to 500k per accident if that's what you want, I opted for 250k per accident for 6,900 baht

23 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

As the saying goes, if you have a 10 baht head, buy 10 baht insurance.  I value my head at a little more than 10 baht. My first consideration when buying insurance is not cover for the bike or the third party - its my hospital bills if I'm injured.

I recommend everybody to have health insurance, but this has not much to do with this topic.

So far I've had first class motorbike insurances with Viriyah as well as LMG, both covered hospital costs only up to 50k, which is obviously too low if it's the only cover (even with the added 30-80k from the compulsory insurance). Is there any company offering a higher coverage for their first class motorbike policies, or are you talking about accident or health insurance?

Edited by jackdd

Thanks for all the feedback!

Was told by my travel insurance co. today that their policy would cover any medical related costs if an accident would occur on this bike. As suggested I'll buy first class insurance via AA for the first year, since it's a new bike (and the reasonable thing to do), to cover myself and 3rd party in case of accident. 

In year 2-3 I'm not very concerned about my $2.5k Click, but perhaps more so about any 3rd party damages. When that time comes I'll re-think what policy to take. 

All set and go? ????

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I recommend everybody to have health insurance, but this has not much to do with this topic.

So far I've had first class motorbike insurances with Viriyah as well as LMG, both covered hospital costs only up to 50k, which is obviously too low if it's the only cover (even with the added 30-80k from the compulsory insurance). Is there any company offering a higher coverage for their first class motorbike policies, or are you talking about accident or health insurance?

My 1st class with Muang Thai covered me for  personal accident @ 100,000 and 'Accident Medical Expenses/2 persons' @ 100,000. I have no idea what the difference between the 2 items are. I was going to check at renewal but as it happened, that was in March - Covid put paid to that.  The premium was very expensive though - I got a quote from Roojai for almost half the price but the cover was just 50,000 - I was going to ask if that could be increased but as I say....... Covid.

To put that into perspective - my Muang Thai renewal quote was around 12,000 whereas Roojai were quoting 7000

I'm not sure its possible to get stand alone accident insurance for motorbike riders.  The policies I've seen have always excluded motobikes.

Edited by KhaoYai

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Axa does a decent Personal Accident Insurance, up to 500k per accident if that's what you want, I opted for 250k per accident for 6,900 baht

Does coverage apply to one bike,

or more than one?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

And you're sure that covers motorbikes?  If so I'll look into that when I renew.

8 hours ago, papa al said:

Does coverage apply to one bike,

or more than one?

it applies to any bike, covers any type of accident I've got it for cycling too and any random thing that could happen. 

I think there is an age limit, maybe 65 so check that

Edited by scubascuba3