IMac Recommendations?

MamaSan

'Finally decided to go desktop (due to MBP battery issues, etc) but realy confused about options.  I know I'd prefer the smaller screen and thought I was ready to choose - but - the nice man at the MacShop tells me that only the 256SSD or the 1Tb Fusion drive (whatever that is...) are available in Thailand at the moment.  I'm stumped at the gate.  Any advice?  (Please be gentle - I'm old and tech-challenged)  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, MamaSan said:

As I don't understand what a Mac Mini is/does, it seems best to wait the few months.  Thank you all for your kind explanations and suggestions!

A Mac mini is just what it says.

it's a small, compact Mac.

All the power of an iMac 27 (at less than half the price) squeezed into a small box which Is ready to plug into any TV/Monitor of your choice ???? 

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A MacMini is like a tower (but much much smaller) you need to add a monitor (screen) keyboard (wired or wireless) and a mouse (wired or wireless).

Many people have a screen keyboard and mouse so the Mini is a good solution.

somehow I have acquired three 4K tv's over the past two and a half years so it was an ideal purchase for me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WineOh said:

somehow I have acquired three 4K tv's over the past two and a half years so it was an ideal purchase for me.

While it certainly is possible to use a TV as a monitor in general it’s a poor idea as a monitor is designed for viewing at less than 2 metres distance while TVs are designed for viewing at greater distances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While it certainly is possible to use a TV as a monitor in general it’s a poor idea as a monitor is designed for viewing at less than 2 metres distance while TVs are designed for viewing at greater distances.

I'm more than happy with my setup and I'm usually sat on the couch when using the Mac mini ???? 

24 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have had an LED TV as monitor for the past 9 years. First a 43" and now recently 50"

They hang on the wall at less than 2-meter distance, and see no reason why I would change it to a monitor

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WineOh said:

I'm more than happy with my setup and I'm usually sat on the couch when using the Mac mini ???? 

If it works for you and you already have the TV then that’s great.

I don’t have a TV, SWMBO does, and typically sit at less than a metre from my computer displays so it’s unlikely that it would work for me and the majority of other users who sit at more conventional operating distances.

20 hours ago, MamaSan said:

'Finally decided to go desktop (due to MBP battery issues, etc) but realy confused about options.  I know I'd prefer the smaller screen and thought I was ready to choose - but - the nice man at the MacShop tells me that only the 256SSD or the 1Tb Fusion drive (whatever that is...) are available in Thailand at the moment.  I'm stumped at the gate.  Any advice?  (Please be gentle - I'm old and tech-challenged)  Thanks!

Don't buy an intel-based iMac - the M1 versions are expected fairly soon. I'd recommend the Mac mini if you need to buy now. I have one and am very happy with it. It's compact and can be used with your monitor of choice. Also, when you say Macshop - did you go to the official store in Bangkok ? The istudio / studio 7 resellers which have many stores in Thailand are not official stores - never buy an apple product from them. In my experience, they don't honour Apple's warranty and they lie to customers. Apple even told me they advise customers in Thailand not to buy from them because of the lack of consumer rights here  - only use the official Apple store.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Don't buy an intel-based iMac - the M1 versions are expected fairly soon. I'd recommend the Mac mini if you need to buy now. I have one and am very happy with it. It's compact and can be used with your monitor of choice. Also, when you say Macshop - did you go to the official store in Bangkok ? The istudio / studio 7 resellers which have many stores in Thailand are not official stores - never buy an apple product from them. In my experience, they don't honour Apple's warranty and they lie to customers. Apple even told me they advise customers in Thailand not to buy from them because of the lack of consumer rights here  - only use the official Apple store.

Speaking of the Apple Store, I don't know about their computers, but I recently bought an iPad Air at ICONSIAM. I was amazed when the associate told me that if I was dissatisfied, I could return it for a full refund within 14 days. 

Now, I too would give all the "iStudios" a pass. I have never found any of the associates to know anything more than what is written on the spec sheets.

However, I learned that the Apple kiosks at place like Paragon Department Store, and Central, are actual work for Apple. Now, this was before the official stores opened so I can say this still holds true. But, if it does, one can often find cash-backs or other deals through their member programs or credit card associates. 

Well I have to refute many of the statements above. I have used the istudio/COM 7 store in Central Festival Pattaya Beach many times over the past 10 years. Excellent and knowledgeable service by the staff, good follow up, and have always been extremely helpful with any questions, software updates etc.

(purchases have included ipad, Macbook and Mac air and 3 iphones). 

2 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Went to the Official Mac Education Store in Chiang Mai.  The nice man pointed out that the 512 & 1TB SSDs were not on their "on offer" sign, said they were "not currently available."  Perhaps something was lost in translation...

On 3/5/2021 at 12:28 PM, MamaSan said:

They are also out of stock on the Apple homepage, maybe Apple stopped producing them because they will soon release the new models.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, MamaSan said:

Went to the Official Mac Education Store in Chiang Mai.  The nice man pointed out that the 512 & 1TB SSDs were not on their "on offer" sign, said they were "not currently available."  Perhaps something was lost in translation...

Which model are you looking to buy? Depending on the model both 512 and 1TB are available on the Apple store. I haven’t checked other than the Mac Mini but both models with all SSDs are available with delivery by Friday or Saturday this week. So as I said if you go direct you have the options.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

They are also out of stock on the Apple homepage, maybe Apple stopped producing them because they will soon release the new models.

Which models are you looking at? If iMac then there’s an update due very soon if the Mini, all storage is available. I didn’t bother to check Intel based versions as I recommend not buying them.

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Which models are you looking at? If iMac then there’s an update due very soon if the Mini, all storage is available. I didn’t bother to check Intel based versions as I recommend not buying them.

At the IMac, this is what OP asked about.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, MamaSan said:

Went to the Official Mac Education Store in Chiang Mai.

That store is not an Apple store, they are an agent, possibly the only source for education discount items in your area, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are only an agent.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

At the IMac, this is what OP asked about.

The OP has been given advice to avoid an Intel based machine, is not a knowledgeable user, and has been given advice for a Mini as a desktop machine. This means that your assumption is not at all clearly correct without the OP confirming exactly what he was asking about, specially as it’s well known that there will be an M based iMac released very soon, possibly even this month. He was told this early in this thread.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The OP has been given advice to avoid an Intel based machine, is not a knowledgeable user, and has been given advice for a Mini as a desktop machine. This means that your assumption is not at all clearly correct without the OP confirming exactly what he was asking about, specially as it’s well known that there will be an M based iMac released very soon, possibly even this month. He was told this early in this thread.

I recommend you read the title of this topic, it's perfectly clear what model OP was asking about. In his post he also specifically said "I know I'd prefer the smaller screen", a Mac Mini doesn't come with a screen, so obviously that's not what he was asking about.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

I recommend you read the title of this topic, it's perfectly clear what model OP was asking about. In his post he also specifically said "I know I'd prefer the smaller screen", a Mac Mini doesn't come with a screen, so obviously that's not what he was asking about.

I recommend reading the complete thread before making an assumption that could well be incorrect.

8 hours ago, MamaSan said:

Thank you all.  I decided on an iMac Mini and chose peripherals to suit.  'Already received and absolutely delighted.  Consider this a "Happy Ending!"

Good that you are happy but confused. Did you get a Mac Mini

C7968FEE-9CD8-4DB4-BBBB-580169BEF2B6.thumb.jpeg.aa7ff33d394cba4570aac4dfe37de7ef.jpeg
+ peripherals 

or smaller  iMac 

D08EBD20-22F2-4D19-A78D-B34191067F07.thumb.jpeg.b001920814691ce8db8901bfa3be98d4.jpeg

I ask because there is no model called an iMac Mini.

On 3/13/2021 at 7:33 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Good that you are happy but confused. Did you get a Mac Mini

C7968FEE-9CD8-4DB4-BBBB-580169BEF2B6.thumb.jpeg.aa7ff33d394cba4570aac4dfe37de7ef.jpeg
+ peripherals 

or smaller  iMac 

D08EBD20-22F2-4D19-A78D-B34191067F07.thumb.jpeg.b001920814691ce8db8901bfa3be98d4.jpeg

I ask because there is no model called an iMac Mini.

Sorry - already a self-confessed nubie, I stand corrected.  Thanks!