Dr Seuss rockets up US charts after books pulled over racist portrayals

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, blazes said:

I bought some Aunt Jemima just the other day.  Now she beams sweetly down at me whenever I open the cupboard in my kitchen.  Partly I bought the pancake mix (which I rarely use) simply BECAUSE I was so pleased that she had escaped (so far) the cancel culture so breathlessly exposed in your long rant.

8 minutes ago, blazes said:

I bought some Aunt Jemima just the other day.  Now she beams sweetly down at me whenever I open the cupboard in my kitchen.  Partly I bought the pancake mix (which I rarely use) simply BECAUSE I was so pleased that she had escaped (so far) the cancel culture so breathlessly exposed in your long rant.

And before you start ranting perhaps best to get your terminology correct. This isn’t “cancel culture”. No one is cancelling anything. You can still buy the books, just minus the wildly inappropriate stereotypes. 
But you keep buying you pancake mix and every other outdated imagery you want in a vain and misguided show of “teaching them thar liberals”. 
No one cares and like Dr Seuss imagery, you’ll soon be a thing of the past. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, blazes said:

Why bother with these putative "books" when the whole racist policy of many Thai governments  over many years is to treat "farang/expats" as inferior human beings, who are tolerated only because their wallets are still worth infiltrating?

I think the there are two key elements here.....1) Racism in any form is abhorrent  (including racism aimed at white people)...2) The impact on young, impressionable minds of racist content is horrifyingly disproportionate and has a life long impact.

3 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Wow that’s some chip you’re carrying there. Isn’t your shoulder sore?  
I’ve been here 12 years and never experienced anything like you are trying to make out here.
Or maybe it’s simply because I don’t go looking for it. 

Funny what sensitive souls these people are....happy to have stereotypes propagating racism..... as long as it is not aimed at them.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Funny what sensitive souls these people are....happy to have stereotypes propagating racism..... as long as it is not aimed at them.

And it just lacks logic. I mean how on earth can swapping out a few Dr Seuss images have any impact on their lives? So he’s Potato Head and not Mr Potato Head. Who cares!!!

It all stems back to a problem time immemorial where the older generation just cannot/will not accept change but what they forget is they had exactly the same argument with their older generation. Their mum and dad didn’t accept Elvis what with those sexy hip moves, long hair was for girls, gays were never spoken of, men were men and women only seen. 
Time moves on and it’s about time some of these posters did the same. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

And it just lacks logic. I mean how on earth can swapping out a few Dr Seuss images have any impact on their lives? So he’s Potato Head and not Mr Potato Head. Who cares!!!

It all stems back to a problem time immemorial where the older generation just cannot/will not accept change but what they forget is they had exactly the same argument with their older generation. Their mum and dad didn’t accept Elvis what with those sexy hip moves, long hair was for girls, gays were never spoken of, men were men and women only seen. 

Slightly off topic I guess....but I have always had the notion that racism is 'natural'...a consequence of evolution and how anything different had to be viewed as a threat and treated as such......the natural consequence of this is we have to educate ourselves out of racism......school is the place, as young as possible, before parents can poison the children's minds.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

And before you start ranting perhaps best to get your terminology correct. This isn’t “cancel culture”. No one is cancelling anything. You can still buy the books, just minus the wildly inappropriate stereotypes. 
But you keep buying you pancake mix and every other outdated imagery you want in a vain and misguided show of “teaching them thar liberals”. 
No one cares and like Dr Seuss imagery, you’ll soon be a thing of the past. 

As will we all, Squire...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Calling BS on this claim.

I am not sure if I am allowed by the forum rules to post links so I will send one (of many) by PM.  BTW, don’t go asking for more.  You need to do your own research. Have better things to do with my time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Look at the demographics.

People who were around in the middle part of the last century are dying out and fortunately taking their viewpoints forged by growing up in a country where apartheid (aka segregation) still existed with them. Some demographic projections show white people of European descent will be in a minority in just twenty-five years, here's a link to one report.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2018/03/14/the-us-will-become-minority-white-in-2045-census-projects/

Now, can you give a credible link to substantiate your claim that "One survey after another demonstrates that the majority of US citizens, be they from the left or right, are “uncomfortable” with the cancel culture"?

Sent by PM ... unsure about forum rules regarding posting links

22 hours ago, chilli42 said:

It’s only a matter of time before this silent majority have had enough of this nonsense and get behind a smart politician who will see beating down this cancel culture/progressive movement as a vote winning strategy (which it is).

Have they not done so already?....one can but hope.......The right are very anxious...imagine the very idea of losing their privileged white position in society with all the tremendous advantages it brings....

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Have they not done so already?....one can but hope.......The right are very anxious...imagine the very idea of losing their privileged white position in society with all the tremendous advantages it brings....

They did and what the US got was Trump.  More and potentially worse on the way.

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

May we assume that you also occupy this "privileged white position" - even more so in Thai society...

If so, why do you hate your own race so much? 

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

People who were around in the middle part of the last century are dying out and fortunately taking their viewpoints forged by growing up in a country where apartheid (aka segregation) still existed with them. Some demographic projections show white people of European descent will be in a minority in just twenty-five years, here's a link to one report.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2018/03/14/the-us-will-become-minority-white-in-2045-census-projects/

Now, can you give a credible link to substantiate your claim that "One survey after another demonstrates that the majority of US citizens, be they from the left or right, are “uncomfortable” with the cancel culture"?

Link sent by PM

3 minutes ago, blazes said:

May we assume that you also occupy this "privileged white position" - even more so in Thai society...

If so, why do you hate your own race so much? 

Indeed I do occupy the exhalted position of a privileged, white male.......and both recognize it and enjoy it......that doesn't mean I don't feel that being in this position is fair....or my right....or it has to be protected/preserved at any cost......I have no God given right to be benefiting from this position, although I do....it has been a matter of good fortune. 

The status quo needs to change....there should be no privileges based on my kind of good fortune...we should all have equal opportunities. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Indeed I do occupy the exhalted position of a privileged, white male.......and both recognize it and enjoy it......that doesn't mean I don't feel that being in this position is fair....or my right....or it has to be protected/preserved at any cost......I have no God given right to be benefiting from this position, although I do....it has been a matter of good fortune. 

The status quo needs to change....there should be no privileges based on my kind of good fortune...we should all have equal opportunities. 

Which parts of "white" civilization would you like to abandon?  That which says good grammar is racist?  That mathematics is racist (because for a child all answers are "correct" -only white culture insists on what is "correct" and "incorrect"?)  Shakespeare because he has a black man die (yet again) or portrays a Jew in an unfavourable light?  Socrates for daring to suggest that debate of all issues is rational and necessary?  (And on and on and on and on....)

11 minutes ago, blazes said:

Which parts of "white" civilization would you like to abandon?  That which says good grammar is racist?  That mathematics is racist (because for a child all answers are "correct" -only white culture insists on what is "correct" and "incorrect"?)  Shakespeare because he has a black man die (yet again) or portrays a Jew in an unfavourable light?  Socrates for daring to suggest that debate of all issues is rational and necessary?  (And on and on and on and on....)

None of those if that helps you........not sure what you are getting at.........we are talking about the future and ensuring equality for all... not having inbuilt, automatic advantages for some and to compound that, automatic disadvantages for others.

Difficult, I know, but assuming you are in the same position as me, white and privileged, can you even begin to imagine the anger and frustration disadvantaged sections of society feel?

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, connda said:

It's almost too convenient.  Buy Winnie The Pooh book.  Surely they'll be next in line to be called racist books that need to be burned.

China already did ban Winnie.

Almost all corporations are pandering to China censorship to get access to their population buyer power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

this is similar to gun sales when political noises of  potential restrictions are being made. It was the same with Cuban cigars, drugs, alcohol during prohibition, and anything else that says people will be restricted in some way. 

Pity they can't restrict empathy and intelligence...

13 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

None of those if that helps you........not sure what you are getting at.........we are talking about the future and ensuring equality for all... not having inbuilt, automatic advantages for some and to compound that, automatic disadvantages for others.

Difficult, I know, but assuming you are in the same position as me, white and privileged, can you even begin to imagine the anger and frustration disadvantaged sections of society feel?

Yes, I can "imagine" those things, having spent most of my adult life opposing things like apartheid and knocking on doors to get out the vote for "leftish" parties.

Racist tropes such as you seem to favour are diversions from the more important fact of CLASS differences in most societies (and nowhere more obviously than in Thailand).

Don't you see how useless it is to bleat about how "privileged" whites are over blacks, when in the US and also UK and other "white" democracies the most under-privileged person in society is the young white man without a job.  He not only does not have a job, but he is being told that he is at the same time "privileged" for being white.

Can you imagine the anger building slowly within him. If he can forge an alliance with black young unemployed, so much the better for him/them. 

What is needed, especially in America, is a political agenda that will bring young blacks and whites together, not have the whites become resentful because they are being blamed by the privileged few for being something they cannot fix: being born WHITE!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

More important it's fake news!  Mr Potato Head is still Mr Potato Head, and Mrs Potato Head is still Mrs Potato Head - the brand is changing to "Potato Head" so that Mrs Potato Head is a "Potato Head" toy not a "Mr Potato Head" toy.  Dr Suess books are not "cancelled" - just 6 titles out of hundreds are being withdrawn.

The Right are either too stupid to understand, or are just desperate to make political capital.  Funny how they were fine for cancelling Colin Kaepernick for his silent dignified protest against police racism.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, blazes said:

Racist tropes such as you seem to favour

I wouldn't say I favor these racist tropes (and didn't say so) what I object to is white, privileged people brushing off the importance of addressing issues like this as being "no more than tropes".......it just seems like an opportunity to duck issues with which they are not comfortable.......their reaction to issues like this is very revealing.

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

I wouldn't say I favor these racist tropes (and didn't say so) what I object to is white, privileged people brushing off the importance of addressing issues like this as being "no more than tropes".......it just seems like an opportunity to duck issues with which they are not comfortable.......their reaction to issues like this is very revealing.

This is sound. 

Mere sound.

5 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

It’s a census report.  It has nothing to do with attitudes and beliefs that exist today.  Am I to conclude that you believe the majority of US citizens are in support of the cancel culture/progressive movement today?  Can you kindly share the survey statistics that have informed your opinion?

"The press is a great keyboard that the government can play.

Create a few short messages, repeatedly flood the nation with them - and you will imprint your message upon the mind of the mob.

Design your propaganda so that it can be understood by the least intelligent members of of the mob."

What worked during The Spanish Inquisition, worked in the 1930's - and it still works today.

What the zealots can not change is that the family is the primary agent of socialization. Meanwhile, they preach hate from  from their lofty academic perches.

• Like 1