Importing Staffordshire Bull Terrier Into Thailand ? ?

I would like to import a Staffordshire Bull Terrier into Thailand from the UK. From what i have read Thailand does not allow Pit Bulls, and possibly American Staffordshire Terriers, to be imported. Will my KC registered Staffordshire Bull Terrier be considered a Pitbull? or Am Staff? or will it be recognized as a separate breed and allowed entry? The dog has official Kennel Club documentation stating its breed. I am worried that because the name is so similar to the American Staffordshire Terrier I may be refused entry.

thanks for any info.

i spent months researching before i imported a dog into thailand. almost all the info i got from animal transport agencies etc was bullsh*t. thai embassy and thai trade commission, as well as my thai import agent told me that as long as the dog was up to date with rabies shots, there was no farther documentation necessary. this proved to be true. all they wanted was proof that the dog had had a rabies shot at least one month before it travelled ,and there was no hassle.

if you find an airline that will allow it, your dog travels on the same aeroplane as you do. book in as hand-luggage and pay only excess baggage rate for the weight of the dog. dog,(in appropriate travel cage) will be handed to you as you collect your other luggage. thai authorities may try to collect tax, in which case inform them that, since your visa is valid for a limited period,you must leave the kingdom after this period, and the dog will leave with you-ie is not being imported but is simply holidaying with you . list the breed as "mongrel" .they charge more tax if they think the dog will be used for breeding. often a bottle of whiskey will "lubricate" the deal, so have one handy. you must stick to your guns as far as the tax thing is concerned-do not back down until it is clear they will settle for a bottle of "happy" or equivalent. if you get a bill- of- lading (dog booked as cargo),you will not be able to negotiate, travel costs are sky-high, and they will tax the dog and will not release it until you have paid in full. total costs for import of my dog,-travel, bribe etc-all-in: less than thb2500!

good luck

frikkie

p.s.

there is no such thing as a dangerous breed of dog: only dangerous owners. there is also no such thing as a thai airport official who would be able to recognise a "dangerous breed" of dog, even if it bit him, especially if it is imported as a mongrel.

I would like to disagree with the above poster about much of what he has said ... although I am sure that was his experience.

I also researched and planned for a year to bring dogs to Thailand, all the way from Los Angeles. From an English Mastiff down to a Yorkie.

Mostly I would disagree with the part that your dog only needs a rabies shot. There are many more vacc's required, as well as a general health cert, and basically bringing your whole dog's life story as far as vet paperwork, birth certs, etc will help you. Maybe he had to pay a bribe because he didn't have the correct paperwork. I had everything, and more, it was mostly looked at, and the tax to import one dog that cost me $2000 to buy (12 years prior) cost me 100 baht in taxes. Hardly something I would try to cheat the governement out of!

If your dog is neutered, you should have some vet paperwork stating that as well as confirming his age, as in that case they know you cannot be bringing in the dog to breed.

You should have all the vacc's anyway, not try to get away with only rabies, obviously for your dog's benefit ... I am writing here to the poster above, not necessarily the OP, and for the price of a bottle of Black Label, you could have paid for the vacc's instead of trading that money for a bribe.

Also, I have traveled with dogs many times to/from international and domestic destinations, and never heard about checking your dog in as hand luggage, other than to say I have sometimes traveled with my dog in the cabin with me, and was charged for that ... more than if it traveled as cargo.

Also, check what time of year you are planning, because most or all, (I am not sure because I did not check every airline) will not fly pets during at least 6-8 months of the year, because of heat concerns. Also not all aircraft have a cabin for pets, so if you are just assuming you can take the dog on any flight you like, you will be mistaken.

Also, in case you haven't thought about it, but if you are not just going to BKK and need to fly somewhere else in Thailand, make sure that airline has pet cabins also because I think only some Thai Air flights are able to take dogs onward.

And Thailand does have a list of banned dogs, and because of the English Mastiff, I got papers from Thailand, some argriculture office, that said I had permission to bring that dog here. He was luckily not on the list, but I visited the office and got documentation from them before.

Just came accross the following link: http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2...of_banned_.html

In certain places in the US they have made the list 'sligtly' longer. Only 75 (!!!!!) breeds and mixes of these breeds, including the labrador retriever, the fox terrier, boston terrier and the pug??????? :D The boxer? :o Surely those are VEEEEEERRRYYYYYYY dangerous dogs :D I wonder who made this list and how much they know they breeds? ... The pug, a dangerous breed? :D

And don't think it can't affect Thailand, as countries tend to watch each other.

Nienke

Nienke, that's incredible. Who in h#ll made up that list? An pathological dog-hater? Labs??? I think they would be up with Golden's as some of the soppiest dogs out. Pugs? Boston Terriers? OMG! :o And Boxers as well. If it wasn't so sad & wouldn't adversely affect so many dogs & their owners, it would be laughable. :D

it is laughable.

any breed or mix can turn into a vicious dog, sure not every dog according to individual temperament. there are so well tempered dogs of almost any breed which will always be lovely and thankful, even with bad treatment.

as has been said somewhere before, not the dogs but the owners should be classified, which is very difficult and maybe not feasable. in germany they have now the 'dog owner licence' which i think is a very good idea though for many owners a pain to make. you have to pass a test with your dog, done by a behaviouralist (sp??). this is, if you want to walk your dog without leash or if you own one of the listed breeds.

Nienke, that's incredible. Who in h#ll made up that list? An pathological dog-hater? Labs??? I think they would be up with Golden's as some of the soppiest dogs out. Pugs? Boston Terriers? OMG! :o And Boxers as well. If it wasn't so sad & wouldn't adversely affect so many dogs & their owners, it would be laughable. :D

I really don't know and it scares the crap out of me.

What these people can do and are doing already, not only concerning dogs, also concerning our right to live a healthy and peaceful life. :D

Bits by pieces our freedom is taken away. Did you read the 'stupid quote of the week'? Look how scary that is!

Nienke

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks the "banned breeds list" is stupid :o .

Looks like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is on that list too :D

Here's the list for those that can't be bothered to visit the link of SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted breeds .....................

1. AIREDALE TERRIER

2. AKBASH

3. AKITA

4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG

5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE

6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD

7. AMERICAN BULLDOG

8. AMERICAN HUSKY

9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER

10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER

11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG

12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD

13. ARIKARA DOG

14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG

15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD

16. BELGIAN MALINOIS

17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG

18. BELGIAN TURVUREN

19. BLUE HEELER

20. BOERBUL

21. BORZOI

22. BOSTON TERRIER

23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES

24. BOXER

25. BULLDOG

26. BULL TERRIER

27. BULL MASTIFF

28. CANE CORSO

29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG

30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD

31. CHINESE SHAR PEI

32. CHOW-CHOW

33. COLORADO DOG

34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER

35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO

36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX

37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS

38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL

39. ESKIMO DOG

40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG

41. FILA BRASILIERO

42. FOX TERRIER

43. FRENCH BULLDOG (he sure looks threatening - rip your little off he will
:D
)

french_bulldog.jpg

44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG

45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER

46. GREENLAND HUSKY

47. GREAT DANE

48. GREAT PYRANEES

49. ITALIAN MASTIFF

50. KANGAL DOG

51. KEESHOND

52. KOMONDOR

53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY

54. KUVAZ

55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER

56. LEONBERGER

57. MASTIFF

58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF

59. NEWFOUNDLAND

60. OTTERHOUND

61. PRESA DE CANARIO

62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN

63. PUG

64. ROTTWEILER

65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND

66. SAINT BERNARD

67. SAMOYED

68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND

69. SIBERIAN HUSKY

70. SPANISH MASTIFF

71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER

72. TIMBER SHEPHERD

73. TOSA INU

74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD

75. WOLF SPITZ

I want the pomeranian added to this list since I've been attacked by one, and one has been responsible for a childs death too.

On a serious note, I do notice that many of these dogs listed here are working and hunting breeds, so maybe the groups behind all this BSL/Banning crap are ANTI-HUNTING or similar supporters :D

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks the "banned breeds list" is stupid :o .

Looks like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is on that list too :D

Here's the list for those that can't be bothered to visit the link of SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted breeds .....................

1. AIREDALE TERRIER

2. AKBASH

3. AKITA

5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE

6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD

7. AMERICAN BULLDOG

8. AMERICAN HUSKY

11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG

12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD

13. ARIKARA DOG

15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD

16. BELGIAN MALINOIS

17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG

18. BELGIAN TURVUREN

19. BLUE HEELER

20. BOERBUL

21. BORZOI

22. BOSTON TERRIER

23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES

24. BOXER

25. BULLDOG

26. BULL TERRIER

27. BULL MASTIFF

28. CANE CORSO

30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD

31. CHINESE SHAR PEI

32. CHOW-CHOW

33. COLORADO DOG

34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER

35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO

36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX

37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS

39. ESKIMO DOG

40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG

41. FILA BRASILIERO

42. FOX TERRIER

43. FRENCH BULLDOG (he sure looks threatening - rip your little off he will
:D
)

french_bulldog.jpg

44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG

45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER

46. GREENLAND HUSKY

47. GREAT DANE

48. GREAT PYRANEES

49. ITALIAN MASTIFF

50. KANGAL DOG

51. KEESHOND

52. KOMONDOR

53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY

54. KUVAZ

55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER

56. LEONBERGER

57. MASTIFF

58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF

59. NEWFOUNDLAND

60. OTTERHOUND

61. PRESA DE CANARIO

62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN

63. PUG

64. ROTTWEILER

65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND

66. SAINT BERNARD

67. SAMOYED

68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND

69. SIBERIAN HUSKY

70. SPANISH MASTIFF

72. TIMBER SHEPHERD

73. TOSA INU

74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD

75. WOLF SPITZ

I want the pomeranian added to this list since I've been attacked by one, and one has been responsible for a childs death too.

On a serious note, I do notice that many of these dogs listed here are working and hunting breeds, so maybe the groups behind all this BSL/Banning crap are ANTI-HUNTING or similar supporters :D

Wow, I noticed that didn't had a proper look.

Sorry NR and all Golden lovers, but your dog/breed is a vvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyy DANGEROUS dog and should be banned!!!! After all, they can slobber you to death. You might drown as a result. :bah:

It looks more to me that there was a group of total morons who have been doing a game of 'how many breeds can you name', or 'what breeds you like and don't like'. The top 75 of the don't-likes will be put on the black list. :D

Nienke

I want to know why the Cocker's not on that list! Burt, our cocker is the most temperamental dog in the center! Definitely the most likely to bite! :o

Nienke, Golden's aren't my favourite. Too soppy for me! But I'm in trouble with one of our dogs; I have a Shepherd here (Belgian, but I guess Alsatian & German include him too). That list is incredible. It's not even as if they're all even large breeds... Amazing. Maybe it is because they're nearly all hunting or work/utility breeds. Jeeze!

Edited by November Rain

I would like to disagree with the above poster about much of what he has said ... although I am sure that was his experience.

I also researched and planned for a year to bring dogs to Thailand, all the way from Los Angeles. From an English Mastiff down to a Yorkie.

Mostly I would disagree with the part that your dog only needs a rabies shot. There are many more vacc's required, as well as a general health cert, and basically bringing your whole dog's life story as far as vet paperwork, birth certs, etc will help you. Maybe he had to pay a bribe because he didn't have the correct paperwork. I had everything, and more, it was mostly looked at, and the tax to import one dog that cost me $2000 to buy (12 years prior) cost me 100 baht in taxes. Hardly something I would try to cheat the governement out of!

If your dog is neutered, you should have some vet paperwork stating that as well as confirming his age, as in that case they know you cannot be bringing in the dog to breed.

You should have all the vacc's anyway, not try to get away with only rabies, obviously for your dog's benefit ... I am writing here to the poster above, not necessarily the OP, and for the price of a bottle of Black Label, you could have paid for the vacc's instead of trading that money for a bribe.

Also, I have traveled with dogs many times to/from international and domestic destinations, and never heard about checking your dog in as hand luggage, other than to say I have sometimes traveled with my dog in the cabin with me, and was charged for that ... more than if it traveled as cargo.

Also, check what time of year you are planning, because most or all, (I am not sure because I did not check every airline) will not fly pets during at least 6-8 months of the year, because of heat concerns. Also not all aircraft have a cabin for pets, so if you are just assuming you can take the dog on any flight you like, you will be mistaken.

Also, in case you haven't thought about it, but if you are not just going to BKK and need to fly somewhere else in Thailand, make sure that airline has pet cabins also because I think only some Thai Air flights are able to take dogs onward.

And Thailand does have a list of banned dogs, and because of the English Mastiff, I got papers from Thailand, some argriculture office, that said I had permission to bring that dog here. He was luckily not on the list, but I visited the office and got documentation from them before.

all documentation was carefully studied, even though the guy obviosly didnt have a clue what he was looking at-he just wanted to feel important. not all airlines will do it (but most will-you have to check);no heat concerns in an aircraft- do you know how bloody cold it gets up there? a thai customs official would not recognise a banned breed if it bit him and if you list it as a mongrel he would be none the wiser

my dog (or the container with the dog in it) was booked in at the check-in counter as HAND LUGGAGE! you have to travel with the dog. dog does not travel in the cabin.only shot needed was a rabies shot, at least one month before import.NO FURTHER DOCUMENTATION WAS NECESSARY. I got a list of documentation and shots required as you mentioned when i approached pet transport companies, and the dog would have travelled as cargo. maybe the rules are different under these circumstances, or perhaps the airlines or the pet transport companies just like to cover their asses, but this was my experience. i am going back 4 years now, so maybe thai regulations have changed. there was no bribe paid to get the dog in. i imported a senegal parrot at the same time (also hand luggage) and had to have a sackful of permits and documentation for that. (it is a cites listed species).had all the relevant docs. and the customs informed me that no parrot was allowed to be imported into thailand........but, for a bottle of whisky he could change the documentation to read: "budgerigar' (apparently,those were allowed in) and i duly did-and he duly did,and all lived happily ever after......

Regarding the heat concerns ... these aren't because of the temp during the flight, it is because of the temp on the ground, while they are waiting to get loaded on the plane, the temp on the ground during transit stops, and while getting loaded off the plane.

Regarding the heat concerns ... these aren't because of the temp during the flight, it is because of the temp on the ground, while they are waiting to get loaded on the plane, the temp on the ground during transit stops, and while getting loaded off the plane.

book in as "hand luggage" and the dog spends no time on the runway- the dog will most likely be handed to you before you find your baggage off the conveyor belt thingy.- and how long does that (mostly) take? when you hand over the container with the animal, it is collected and loaded directly- these people know what they are doing. could be different,possibly, if it was just cargo............

• 5 months later...

I imported a staffordshire Bull Terrier dog into Thailand 3 years ago. When i went to pick it up from the airport control i was sent to the immigration office. The officer pointed to a board and a picture of a staffie was displayed. It was in the dangerous dog section along with a Rottweiller and an American Pit bull.

I was told that i could not import a dangerous dog into Thailand. After a lengthy discussion showing pictures of the dog and explaining he was not aggressive, i was given an order to have him castrated and had to pay the officer 60,000baht (without receipt).

I went to collect my dog and he was still in his crate, looking thin and dehydrated and no evidence of water or food. Needless to say, he still has his <deleted> and a fantastic show champion pedigree to match.

I am now looking for a quality bitch to have a litter.

Good luck with your quest, i hope this has prepared you.

Regards

I don't agree with Dangerous Dogs lists and especially the idea of banning certain breeds. Besides the argument over whether there are actually dangerous breeds, breed specific legislation has failed to work anywhere. I've read it's actually more effective to ban ppl with criminal records from owning dogs. Recently a mastiff killed someone in NZ, so now the country is strengthening laws banning Pit Bull!

Back to the OP's question, I tried to find a Staff earlier this year and wasn't able to.The people talking about owning staffs may be referring to Am Staffs.

Staffs are great dogs, right up there with Labs in temperament tests. They're also small with short hair, making the suited to the climate. There great with ppl but can be dog aggressive.

i almost had my finger bitten off a hand reared arra (macaw); bann them!!!!

i was licked to death by a boxer. bannish them

and our rottweiler in fur (the lhasa) who actually isnt a very pleasant dog even with training/socialization (a tibetan working dog dont forget) isnt on the list????

an attack pug?!! fart u to death:::

i notice canaans arent on the list and actually they are good watch/guard dogs and can be nasty to outsiders...

the list was probably made up from reported/listed bites by the breed:

an attack borzoi??? snappy yes, but nasty, not really.

akitas and other japanese types like the inu etc are not nice dogs but they are working dogs as are the turkish/hungarian sheepdogs (komodors/kuvaz, akabash etc) so they arent unstable dogs, just do their job they were bred for, defending the stock/land by using their teeth. they arent meant to be house pets. its like buying a sports car and having if die on you while hauling a horse trailer with it.

oh well...

Oh No, Bina, furget iet!

Pug IS on the banned/restricted list, as is the golden retriever, labrador, boxer :o , but the most dangerous mean devil isn't there: the Lhasa Apso :D

SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted breeds .....................

http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2...of_banned_.html

1. AIREDALE TERRIER

2. AKBASH

3. AKITA

5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE

6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD

7. AMERICAN BULLDOG

8. AMERICAN HUSKY

11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG

12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD

13. ARIKARA DOG

15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD

16. BELGIAN MALINOIS

17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG

18. BELGIAN TURVUREN

19. BLUE HEELER

20. BOERBUL

21. BORZOI

22. BOSTON TERRIER

23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES

24. BOXER

25. BULLDOG

26. BULL TERRIER

27. BULL MASTIFF

28. CANE CORSO

30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD

31. CHINESE SHAR PEI

32. CHOW-CHOW

33. COLORADO DOG

34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER

35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO

36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX

37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS

39. ESKIMO DOG

40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG

41. FILA BRASILIERO

42. FOX TERRIER

43. FRENCH BULLDOG

44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG

45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER

46. GREENLAND HUSKY

47. GREAT DANE

48. GREAT PYRANEES

49. ITALIAN MASTIFF

50. KANGAL DOG

51. KEESHOND

52. KOMONDOR

53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY

54. KUVAZ

55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER

56. LEONBERGER

57. MASTIFF

58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF

59. NEWFOUNDLAND

60. OTTERHOUND

61. PRESA DE CANARIO

62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN

63. PUG

64. ROTTWEILER

65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND

66. SAINT BERNARD

67. SAMOYED

68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND

69. SIBERIAN HUSKY

70. SPANISH MASTIFF

72. TIMBER SHEPHERD

73. TOSA INU

74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD

75. WOLF SPITZ

Well, yeh, what to say .... 'they' (the ones who came up with the breeds on this list) obviously can't help themselves ....

Nienke

Staffbull - In the UK police forces were issued with guidelines differentiating Staffs from pit bulls after a landmark court case in Lancashire. Staffs are safe. I know this because in 1991, when the act was passed, I documented several cases of mistaken identity.

Judging from those guidelines, what type of dog would you call this? I'd be interested in others opinions also.

post-25665-1194405860_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
I imported a staffordshire Bull Terrier dog into Thailand 3 years ago. When i went to pick it up from the airport control i was sent to the immigration office. The officer pointed to a board and a picture of a staffie was displayed. It was in the dangerous dog section along with a Rottweiller and an American Pit bull.

I was told that i could not import a dangerous dog into Thailand. After a lengthy discussion showing pictures of the dog and explaining he was not aggressive, i was given an order to have him castrated and had to pay the officer 60,000baht (without receipt).

I went to collect my dog and he was still in his crate, looking thin and dehydrated and no evidence of water or food. Needless to say, he still has his <deleted> and a fantastic show champion pedigree to match.

I am now looking for a quality bitch to have a litter.

Good luck with your quest, i hope this has prepared you.

Regards

• 1 year later...
I would like to import a Staffordshire Bull Terrier into Thailand from the UK. From what i have read Thailand does not allow Pit Bulls, and possibly American Staffordshire Terriers, to be imported. Will my KC registered Staffordshire Bull Terrier be considered a Pitbull? or Am Staff? or will it be recognized as a separate breed and allowed entry? The dog has official Kennel Club documentation stating its breed. I am worried that because the name is so similar to the American Staffordshire Terrier I may be refused entry.

thanks for any info.

I brought my English Staffordshire bull terrier into Thailand in Jan 09. When you complete your export visa through DEFRA for your dog you must make sure that the vet writes on the paperwork "ENGLISH STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER" as Staffordshires are not illegal over here. So there is no confusion and the rabies injection should be given one month before you fly. Please check with the Thai consulate for updated information.

I flew my dog with Air Supply and EVA Airlines in cargo, they are based at Heathrow airport. They were fantastic and my dog was very relaxed and happy when he arrived just tired and in need of a drink. The company also supply 2nd hand plastic moulded crates, which I would recommend over the wooden ones as they are heavier.

I hope this info is of help to anyone.

Please email if you have any questions

Lee