Transportation projects to help transform Pattaya into  state of the art metropolis

webfact

"The once antiquated Bali Hai area"

I can't remember exactly when the Bali Hai pier was built but sheesh, it wasn't built that long ago ! I remember back when the only pier was the one at the other end of Walking St, around where the sewage pumping station is.

Then again, these are the same people who started to dig up Walking St with (apparently) no idea of what was under it. (I guess it never occurred to any of them what all those drains along the street were for or why Walking St never seemed to flood).
When they started digging they came across "ancient pipes" that they decided "served no purpose" (probably because they were dry as it hadn't rained in weeks and most of the businesses there had been shut for as long or longer).

It wouldn't surprise me if they came along and stated that they had no idea why the ("antiquated") Bali Hai pier was there or who built it.

But, progress is inevitable. Pretty much every "modern" big city in the world started out as a tiny village and went through generations (centuries) of growth and headaches before they became the "modern" cities they now are.
No different here. Come back in 50, 60 years and you'd be amazed at the mass transit systems and the "modern" look of the place. Meanwhile, people at that time, in their 20s/30s, would be looking around thinking everything looked "antiquated" compared with bigger, more modern cities. (And they'd be bitching and whining about all the proposed new projects just like people are doing now.)

There is pretty much zero chance Pattaya will remain the way some people seem to think it should (i.e. back in the hey days of Walking Street from 20 years ago). 

Politicians will always throw out new ideas and concepts, complete with artist's impressions that have really no grounding in reality. It's the way things are and ever will be (and probably always was).

I can imagine grouchy bunch of old gits sitting in "Shagged Sheep" pub, whining about what a waste of time and money that new fangled "London Bridge" project was and how the money could be better spent on washing all the <deleted> off the streets from all the people crapping everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Mayor Sontaya Khunpluem is determined to rid his city of the tag of "also-guy" known only for its sex industry at night.

Hey, there's a thousand beach resorts around the world with better beaches and cleaner seas than Pattaya, you have to learn to play to your strengths and it doesn't seem to have served Pattaya too badly over the last half-century or so. Maybe it's time to move on from that, I don't know, but if so then you'd better be pretty certain that you've got something better to replace it, not just some shiny trains.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ehs818 said:

Pattaya won't become a first class beach resort until they deal with the pollution of sewerage that empties into the bay. Shopping malls alone will NOT be the big draw that they are hoping for....

It would also help if they had a beach that actually stayed in place ....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Transportation projects to help transform Pattaya into  state of the art metropolis

It's a good thought but it's only a dream or they are on Drugs to come up with something like this.

Wait till Reality catches  up with them.   ????

On 3/8/2021 at 11:16 AM, bluesofa said:
On 3/8/2021 at 10:02 AM, webfact said:

so long a backwater stuck in the past, especially when compared to go-ahead Bangkok

'backwater' seems the correct word to describe it, when millions have been wasted over the years on drainage and alleged flood prevention.

Maybe Blackwater would be a better word to describe it.

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Maybe Blackwater would be a better word to describe it.

You mean as in like what was flowing into Pattaya Bay last June after a rainstorm and not the former private security company I presume.
602020-05-29-15h41m55s500.jpg.54b8c71be0cb63f0558c6aa9e22c4540.jpg.d8275fc5ea885c3c54ff5e3652591cc0.jpg

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

You mean as in like what was flowing into Pattaya Bay last June after a rainstorm and not the former private security company I presume.
602020-05-29-15h41m55s500.jpg.54b8c71be0cb63f0558c6aa9e22c4540.jpg.d8275fc5ea885c3c54ff5e3652591cc0.jpg

Ok got it; Blackwaters-on-Sea, Thai version of Blackpool. ????