Thai PM, cabinet cancel Friday's scheduled AstraZeneca vaccinations

webfact

11 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Shock, Gasp, Horror! 

Not the best example for the soldiers he leads, let alone the civilians. 

General Scaredy Pants. Would you want him in the trenches next to you?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Somehow 20 million Brits have been vaccinated mostly by the Astrazeneca jab without suffering from blood clots but some jittery Scandinavians start worrying about it without any evidence and Prayuth calls the whole thing off.

If he's scared of the virus and scared of the vaccine then he might as well lock himself in his basement for the next 3 years.

There have been many adverse reactions to the astra zeneca vaccine here in the UK. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Although they are using various dodgy ways to make it mandatory without saying its mandatory ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you seriously stating that your life is in danger in virtual covid-free Thailand.  The risk of being run over by a bus going to the Vaccine facility is bigger than the risk of getting covid here. 

Seems the scare-mongerers did a pretty good job in convincing the non-informed to get the jab...

Do i say like that? Ok my english not perfect but good if read it ok also lol! Continue life to take vaccine , seems like needed to get back easily in home (Thailand)! And i say cabinet member's been afreid! But never mind ????

A 39 year old woman in Utah died a few days after her 2nd Moderna jab.  She was just fine after the 1st.

Autopsy pending. 

But unless you collapse immediately after the shot with anaphylactic allergic reaction, it's probably unrelated.

Doesn't obesity and sitting around doing nothing but smoking and drinking increase your chances of blood clots? ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

2 hours ago, pacman32 said:

If he's scared of the virus and scared of the vaccine then he might as well lock himself in his basement for the next 3 years.

Basements?  In Thailand? ???? Traditional Thai houses you don't even live on the first floor.

The main reason why there aren't any basements here is that there is a very shallow water table in pretty much most of the country. You don't have to dig very deep to encounter water.

Edited by SiSePuede419

14 hours ago, anchadian said:

Let's start again shall we?

The way this is going, I doubt us foreigners will get our initial 'free' shot until 2023.

at this rate Thailand will never recover. The blood clot issue has already  been investigate in England and America only 13 people who got vaccinated out of 100k  had this issue they also had other health problems there is no reason to stop people from been vaccinated.  

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Except there are zero reports of blood clots being abnormally high and zero evidence of any vaccine encouraging blood clots.Delaying vaccinations will directly and indirectly cost lives.

thank you and this is correct the medical doctors know this,  you should sent this notice to publish in Bangkok post so the stupid crowd stopping the vaccine can read it

• Confused 1

Again, for the hard of understanding:

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n699

The EMA’s safety committee is reviewing the issue but said that there was currently no indication that vaccination has caused these conditions, which are not listed as side effects. It said that the information available so far showed that the number of thromboembolic events in vaccinated people was no higher than that seen in the general population. It said that, as of 10 March, 30 cases of thromboembolic events had been reported among the five million people given the AstraZeneca vaccine in the European Economic Area.

[...]

An analysis of our safety data of more than 10 million records has shown no evidence of an increased risk of pulmonary embolism or deep vein thrombosis in any defined age group, gender, batch or in any particular country with Covid-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. In fact, the observed number of these types of events is significantly lower in those vaccinated than what would be expected among the general population.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

19 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

When you compare Thailand's numbers with other countries that are still in the 10,000 + cases each day, then, yeah, i'd say Thailand has it pretty dam well under control. 69 million population with 100 cases each day is very good achievement. 

Achievement ?

Do you think it's the mask ? The borders closed (land borders are not closed...) ? The ban on alcohol ?

Do you remember that Thailand received... almost 1 million chinese in january 2020 ? Many direct flights from Wuhan ?

And ?

Nothing. Like China (Wuhan versus the whole country is nothing). Like Vietnam. Like Cambodia etc.

The explanation is simple, and has nothing to do with "achievements"...

COVID-19 and Flu Pandemics Follow a Pattern: A Possible Cross-immunity in the Pandemic Origin and Graver Disease in Farther Regions

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7568123/

Now... the real question is... Why despite this fact (Asian and South east asian countries are not affected by Covid, compared to the rest of the world).... why the asian governements... are so totally "into" the fight against Covid, with their -absurd- policy of "Zero case" ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Said to be an over reaction. The rate of blood clotting is no higher than the control group apparently. There wouldn't be any intra Europe vaccine politics at play would there? However it wouldn't surprise me if the brave General is afraid of needles like many Thai's I know. How to set an example, this is the second postponement right.

Blood clots can cause heart attack or stroke so it's serious.

There were also reports of death in Austria

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria-nurse-idUSKBN2AZ0AO

Edited by EricTh

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Blood clots can cause heart attack or stroke so it's serious.

There were also reports of death in Austria

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria-nurse-idUSKBN2AZ0AO

Literally from the link you posted:

“Currently there is no evidence of a causal relationship with the vaccination,” BASG said.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Do i say like that? Ok my english not perfect but good if read it ok also lol! Continue life to take vaccine , seems like needed to get back easily in home (Thailand)! And i say cabinet member's been afraid! But never mind ????

Continue life to take vaccine >> In virtual covid-19 free Thailand there is no need to 'take vaccine to continue life'.  And it is very clear by now that vaccines are NOT the Magic Solution to return to normality. 

Just a couple of points to put this in perspective:

- The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are ONLY approved for emergency use.  Where is the Emergency in virtual covid-19 free Thailand?

- Negative health-effects of taking the vaccine are discarded by the Vaccine-enthusiasts as 'normal', but nobody knows what the long-term effects will be (there is a reason that the new ones are ONLY approved for emergency use)

- At the rate that Thailand is rolling out its 'Nobody left Behind' vaccination-campaign, it will take YEARS before that (stupid and impossible) goal will be reached

- As expected NEW variants of the Virus are regularly popping up, undermining the efficacy of the current vaccines to combat these new variants 

> Considering all of the above a return to normality using the Vaccine Solution appears to be nothing more than a pipe-dream. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NRGF said:

This virus will not disappear although it will mutate, if you catch it and survive your immunity will be limited so anyone who isn't vaccinated perhaps on a yearly basis will eventually catch this virus again and again until it kills them.

Completely incorrect on so many levels that I do not even bother to explain the role of your immune system (with its T-cell memory) and how it really works. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BobBKK said:

They are still meeting about which arm it should be... the cabinet is split with a leg being a possible compromise.

However when this was mentioned Khun Prawit was heard to say "pull the other one" and then the debate started about which leg.

What about the @rse?? Oh! no, it would to to sore for them to sit around their table when they gather to make rules for us to obey. :laugh:

11 hours ago, hugocnx said:

So they can drag the situation and keeping us longer in lockdown and/or on face diapers.

There is no incentive for the unelected "PM" and the rest of his cowards to end the lockdown, the ASQ is keeping theirs and others pockets well filled. It does not matter a jot to them that there are lots of people needing their employment back particularly in the tourist industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Continue life to take vaccine >> In virtual covid-19 free Thailand there is no need to 'take vaccine to continue life'.  And it is very clear by now that vaccines are NOT the Magic Solution to return to normality. 

Just a couple of points to put this in perspective:

- The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are ONLY approved for emergency use.  Where is the Emergency in virtual covid-19 free Thailand?

- Negative health-effects of taking the vaccine are discarded by the Vaccine-enthusiasts as 'normal', but nobody knows what the long-term effects will be (there is a reason that the new ones are ONLY approved for emergency use)

- At the rate that Thailand is rolling out its 'Nobody left Behind' vaccination-campaign, it will take YEARS before that (stupid and impossible) goal will be reached

- As expected NEW variants of the Virus are regularly popping up, undermining the efficacy of the current vaccines to combat these new variants 

> Considering all of the above a return to normality using the Vaccine Solution appears to be nothing more than a pipe-dream. 

Most scientists disagree with you. Mass immunisation is the only route to a return to normality. "Emergency use" is your attempt to play with semantics. No negative health effects have yet to be observed apart from people with severe pre existing allergies who are advised not to take the vaccine.

There are thousands of variants but only one or two have lessened the effects of the vaccine. None have invalidated it. It takes around 48 hours for a vaccine to be modified to take into account a variant. AZ are in the process of doing this. Likely to be a need for an annual booster which will take into account any virulent new variants. Same as the annual 'flu jab. Highly unlikely that there will be any long term effects from the vaccine but long term effects on people having suffered from Covid are already known.

The reason Thailand needs to follow a mass vaccination program is that its borders cannot remain closed forever, the economy is suffering badly from a lack of foreign tourists. The effectiveness of closing the borders can be seen daily by the number of foreigners found Covid positive whilst in quarantine.  The main barrier to Thailand having an effective mass vaccination program is the currently painfully slow roll out in Thailand. That and scaremongering BS from anti vaxxers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:02 PM, NCC1701A said:

and so goes the rest of the country. 

Indeed.

I can't tell you who will be the first 5 people to receive the vaccination (presumably the blood clots didn't show up in testing?), but I could take a wild guess as to who it won't be...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Highly unlikely that there will be any long term effects from the vaccine but long term effects on people having suffered from Covid are already known.

Still. no harm in making sure the population as a whole are targetted before any of the pooyays. Common sense no?

4 minutes ago, Taswegian23 said:

Still. no harm in making sure the population as a whole are targetted before any of the pooyays. Common sense no?

I would agree personally but there is an argument that seeing the Elite vaccinated gives confidence to the general population in the vaccine.

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Most scientists disagree with you. Mass immunisation is the only route to a return to normality. "Emergency use" is your attempt to play with semantics. No negative health effects have yet to be observed apart from people with severe pre existing allergies who are advised not to take the vaccine.

There are thousands of variants but only one or two have lessened the effects of the vaccine. None have invalidated it. It takes around 48 hours for a vaccine to be modified to take into account a variant. AZ are in the process of doing this. Likely to be a need for an annual booster which will take into account any virulent new variants. Same as the annual 'flu jab. Highly unlikely that there will be any long term effects from the vaccine but long term effects on people having suffered from Covid are already known.

The reason Thailand needs to follow a mass vaccination program is that its borders cannot remain closed forever, the economy is suffering badly from a lack of foreign tourists. The effectiveness of closing the borders can be seen daily by the number of foreigners found Covid positive whilst in quarantine.  The main barrier to Thailand having an effective mass vaccination program is the currently painfully slow roll out in Thailand. That and scaremongering BS from anti vaxxers.

Just taking a few quotes from your response: 

> Most scientists disagree with you.  >>> Disagree with what?   I challenge you to name a reputed scientist that disagrees with ANY of the 4 factual points I raised.

> "Emergency use" is your attempt to play with semantics. >>> A demonstrable FALSE statement by you - Once again I challenge you to find a reputed scientist that disputes the FACT that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are currently only approved for Emergency Use.

> No negative health effects have yet to be observed...  >>> I bold-marked the tell-tale 'yet' in what you wrote - Note that I only stated that nobody has any idea what the long-term effects of those 'vaccines approved for emergency use' will be - Again I challenge you to find a scientist that disputes this.

> Likely to be a need for an annual booster which will take into account any virulent new variants. >>> The wet-dream of any Vaccine company - the likely need for annual boosters.  And the 'only' solution being continual jabs to deal with new virulent variants...   I think there is indeed some reason for concern if that would be the 'only' solution.

> The main barrier to Thailand having an effective mass vaccination program is the currently painfully slow roll out in Thailand. >>> Yes, you confirm here what I wrote (but obviously we have a different opinion whether that is a blessing or a curse). 

You closing remark about scaremongering BS from anti vaxxers is sad and hilarious at same time.

1 - None of the 4 points I raised were challenged by your response, still you have the audacity to call it scaremongering BS

2 - For the zillionth time, those raising legitimate concerns (the precautionary principle - ever heard of that?) are not by definition anti-vaxxers. 

Personally I don't give a ... what you put in your body, but it becomes more concerning when you want to force everybody to go along with that mandatory Vaccine March of Folly in virtually covid-free Thailand.

Edited by onthedarkside
profanity reference removed
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Just taking a few quotes from your response: 

> Most scientists disagree with you.  >>> Disagree with what?   I challenge you to name a reputed scientist that disagrees with ANY of the 4 factual points I raised.

> "Emergency use" is your attempt to play with semantics. >>> A demonstrable FALSE statement by you - Once again I challenge you to find a reputed scientist that disputes the FACT that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are currently only approved for Emergency Use.

> No negative health effects have yet to be observed...  >>> I bold-marked the tell-tale 'yet' in what you wrote - Note that I only stated that nobody has any idea what the long-term effects of those 'vaccines approved for emergency use' will be - Again I challenge you to find a scientist that disputes this.

> Likely to be a need for an annual booster which will take into account any virulent new variants. >>> The wet-dream of any Vaccine company - the likely need for annual boosters.  And the 'only' solution being continual jabs to deal with new virulent variants...   I think there is indeed some reason for concern if that would be the 'only' solution.

> The main barrier to Thailand having an effective mass vaccination program is the currently painfully slow roll out in Thailand. >>> Yes, you confirm here what I wrote (but obviously we have a different opinion whether that is a blessing or a curse). 

You closing remark about scaremongering BS from anti vaxxers is sad and hilarious at same time.

1 - None of the 4 points I raised were challenged by your response, still you have the audacity to call it scaremongering BS

2 - For the zillionth time, those raising legitimate concerns (the precautionary principle - ever heard of that?) are not by definition anti-vaxxers. 

Personally I don't give a ... what you put in your body, but it becomes more concerning when you want to force everybody to go along with that mandatory Vaccine March of Folly in virtually covid-free Thailand.

Spoken like a true anti vaxxer. Personally, I think anti vaxxers spoutin BS should be prosecuted by law. Certainly not given a voice on this forum. Dangerous misinformation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

Spoken like a true anti vaxxer. Personally, I think anti vaxxers spoutin BS should be prosecuted by law. Certainly not given a voice on this forum. Dangerous misinformation.

Once again I challenge you to find a reputed scientist that disagrees with ANY of the 4 factual points I raised. 

To make it easy for you, I re-post them below:

• Like 2