GCN +

MikeN

Anybody thinking about signing up for the new GCN+ ? If so, I can highly recommend it. The documentaries on cycling are well worth the subscription cost alone, there are around 50 so far and more added every week. The legends of the sport, the history of cycling, up to modern day adventures like Mark Beaumont's epic round the world rides, all filmed in high quality.

And then there is the race coverage ..if a race is televised in Europe then it will be on GCN+ . The TDF, Giro, Vuelta, the one day classics.......no more watching dodgy illegal streaming on my phone via Mobdro !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm using GCN+ as an App on my iPhone. It is a bit clunky*, but there is some great content. Rate it at three stars.

My main driver for getting it was for Live race coverage. For that, it only really 'works' on the phone. Using Airplay to the Apple TV loses commentary... And it buffers quite a bit more than a VPN video coverage.

So far, Apps are limited to iPhone/ iPad [but not iPad specific]. It really needs an app for Apple TV/ iMac/MacBook for functionality.

I'm led to believe the problems are similar on the Android side of things: but happy to be educated differently.
I'm also sure that Phone/TV mirroring could be better via a cable if my own set up was more compatible.

*Tip: inhibit sleep setting on the phone; otherwise you need to relaunch and start from the beginning of the program.

And as I type this, watching the Giro, it has dropped out. Again.....  

Update:  I'm still not convinced I am getting value with the GCN+ App, and I don't want to be a complaining bitch.....

Downside: Last night, a few App crashes, more prevalent as the Stage 4 finish approached. Totally collapse as Dombrowski was about to cross the line.... By the time I got it all rebooted nd up and running, at least 50 riders had crossed and I'd missed the GC battle.

Ho Hum!

On the plus side: I did watch the finish and highlights over a nice coffee this morning. And, my 16yo Son just sorted the audio commentry feed; apparently an icon on the phone screen - young eyes!! Mea culpa though, I have to wear that one.

????