Non-B to Ed Visa Without Leaving Thailand?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it is currently possible to change a Non-B working visa to an education visa without leaving the country?

My situation is that I'm currently working at a school here in Thailand and trying to study online at the same time, but my work is cutting into my studies far too much, so I'd rather leave my job to be able to study full time. I'm happy to study Thai language or Muay Thai for an hour or so each day, but wouldn't want to do more than about 15 hours a week of either.

I contacted some language schools and agencies around October 2020, and many said it was impossible at the time, while others said it would be no problem, but would cost around 40k baht but its hard to tell if they are reputable. Some companies said that it would only be possible to change a Tourist visa to an Ed visa, but changing a Non-b to an Ed visa would be impossible. Some other companies said I should pursue the Non-O volunteer visa.

So essentially the question is, does anyone know of a 100% legit way (ideally with concrete evidence of successful stories) to change a Non-B to an Ed visa (or volunteer visa) at this time?

Thanks

You could change from a extension of stay based upon teaching to one based upon attending a school if you were attending a formal school such as a university.

You cannot change from a non-b visa to a non-ed visa without leaving the country.

The problem which you have is that there is a rule which says that you may not stay longer in Thailand than 12 months if studying at a non-formal school.

In some provinces, if the school facilitates it for you (you pay them a "special fee", which they forward to the IO), immigration is willing to ignore this rule though. In this case it should be possible for you to obtain a 12 month extension for studying at a non-formal school.

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you can afford it use agent to obtain non o volunteering and 12 month extension. 

He is already on a non-immigrant visa, thus no non-o visa for him, but also not required. Getting a 12 month extension for volunteering should be possible.

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The problem which you have is that there is a rule which says that you may not stay longer in Thailand than 12 months if studying at a non-formal school.

In some provinces, if the school facilitates it for you (you pay them a "special fee", which they forward to the IO), immigration is willing to ignore this rule though. In this case it should be possible for you to obtain a 12 month extension for studying at a non-formal school.

He is already on a non-immigrant visa, thus no non-o visa for him, but also not required. Getting a 12 month extension for volunteering should be possible.

Correct.

I overlooked the obvious. So cheaper for him if decides to use agent for the extension based on volunteering. At a guess 25-30k

Archived