Pages not working anymore after upgrating to big sur

Tchooptip

I had lost  many  Pages documents and it ws not working properly any more, I understood it happenned to many people after asking the question with Google

Yesterday a few had not find a solution already some people were completely mad

in case it's happened to some members Yesterday night I upgraded big sur for the third time version 11.2.3

And to my attonishment. miracle. not only Pages worked again normally, but some documents from 2016 reappearead and everything I had lost was accessible again,!

I have been delaying upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur on the basis of avoiding the usual early teething problems. I am painfully aware how dependent I am here in rural Surin on my MacBook Air for connectivity to the world.

Is the collective view that - now - making the upgrade will be quick (always takes 10x longer than you expect, in my experience), easy (mmmm) and safe (?).

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I have been delaying upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur on the basis of avoiding the usual early teething problems. I am painfully aware how dependent I am here in rural Surin on my MacBook Air for connectivity to the world.

Is the collective view that - now - making the upgrade will be quick (always takes 10x longer than you expect, in my experience), easy (mmmm) and safe (?).

Before doing any upgrade you should always do a complete backup.
Personally I always do an upgrade on an external disc because if anything goes wrong I can revert within seconds, or minutes, to a totally functional machine. I hen run from the external for days or weeks before updating the internal drive.

No the update will not be quick unless your Mac is quite new and uses an SSD. As to safe, if you follow my update process, yes totally. If you update in place on your only machine that you have to use every day, not so much. The cost of a backup external drive is not much compared to a failure.

50 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Before doing any upgrade you should always do a complete backup.
Personally I always do an upgrade on an external disc because if anything goes wrong I can revert within seconds, or minutes, to a totally functional machine. I hen run from the external for days or weeks before updating the internal drive.

No the update will not be quick unless your Mac is quite new and uses an SSD. As to safe, if you follow my update process, yes totally. If you update in place on your only machine that you have to use every day, not so much. The cost of a backup external drive is not much compared to a failure.

Thanks for that. I hadn't really thought of doing it on an external disc first up.

Will follow up on that.

Pages works fine on my new M1 Mac with Big Sur.  I had to re-download Pages after updating.

Pages sometimes is setup to store all documents in iCloud.  Have you logged into iCloud.com to see if anything is in there?  Maybe you migrated to iCloud by accident.  In theory, iCloud should be storing all revisions as backup which is nice.