Alternatives to PayPal?

Smithson

PayPal is now changing from US$ before sending to my account, the rate is really bad, especially after already paying them a commission.

Can anybody recommend alternatives, such as transferwise? We make custom apparel, up til now I have been sending customers a PayPal request, I'd like an alternative that allows me to do that as easily as possible for the customer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

Can anybody recommend alternatives, such as transferwise?

You just said it, WISE as it is now known, or Revolut are the two most useful accounts/debit cards, I have, and so easy to manage online.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Can you tell a bit more.

https://wise.com/au/multi-currency-account/#card

20 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

How can a farang apply from here

You can't (Thailand is problematic for Wise - other than transferring money in). If really wanting one I'm sure there'd be a way such as getting one "in" your home country and having the card forwarded to you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

You can't (Thailand is problematic for Wise - other than transferring money in). If really wanting one I'm sure there'd be a way such as getting one "in" your home country and having the card forwarded to you.

Why not get a Thai bank account and top-up it via Wise as needed? I have a Wise (TransferWise) debit card, but I mostly use it for online stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Could what? The question I replied to (which is somewhat hijacking this thread and drawing it OT) was specifically about getting a Wise debit card.

Why I deleted my post. Confused.

• Like 1

We like Payoneer. Clear charges $3 per deposit, $2 per transfer to US bank account. No idea about cards. Paypal is no long such a 'pal'. The problem is almost everybody & their dog has gotten used to using Paypal & will be resistant to learning something new.

Seems Transferwise charged us even more than Paypal per transaction.

USA dominates the financial sector with tons of rules against, ahem, "money laundering". That doesn't mean criminal activity, it means money the US can't grab. Many such services require a US SSN.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

We like Payoneer. Clear charges $3 per deposit, $2 per transfer to US bank account. No idea about cards. Paypal is no long such a 'pal'. The problem is almost everybody & their dog has gotten used to using Paypal & will be resistant to learning something new.

Seems Transferwise charged us even more than Paypal per transaction.

USA dominates the financial sector with tons of rules against, ahem, "money laundering". That doesn't mean criminal activity, it means money the US can't grab. Many such services require a US SSN.

can you use payoneer for online payment ?

Stripe, Square, any number of online payment processors that can be linked directly to a wise account or conventional bank account. You wont avoid fees wherever you go.

Suggestion.

Open a wise account in the US. Get any Paypal withdrawals paid into that, then transfer via wise to your Thai account. Better fees and exchange.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Open a wise account in the US. Get any Paypal withdrawals paid into that, then transfer via wise to your Thai account. Better fees and exchange.

Do I need to be a US citizen to open an account there and what does Paypal charge to withdraw into a Wise account? Thanks

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Do I need to be a US citizen to open an account there and what does Paypal charge to withdraw into a Wise account? Thanks

No you do not, as Wise customer you can have an account in many countries (I do).

If you are paid in US and withdraw to US account yes there will be a fee but its minimal in compariosn to what you would pay to get $  to Baht to your account in Thailand. 

Which is your biggest currency from sales ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Which is your biggest currency from sales ?

Everything we do is in US$, unless customers do FTT. Some sales are from the online shop and some are direct, in which case I send a PP money request. I've found these days customers aren't willing to do FTT, too much effort. I really need something as simple as PP for receiving money. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Everything we do is in US$, unless customers do FTT. Some sales are from the online shop and some are direct, in which case I send a PP money request. I've found these days customers aren't willing to do FTT, too much effort. I really need something as simple as PP for receiving money. Thanks.

Take a look at Stripe. Are you using a shopping cart on your website ? That should be easy to configure with Stripe Paypal etc and people can pay invoices there too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Take a look at Stripe. Are you using a shopping cart on your website ? That should be easy to configure with Stripe Paypal etc and people can pay invoices there too.

Yes, we're using Shopify. Thanks a lot Charlie, I'll look into it.

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, Salerno said:

Could what? The question I replied to (which is somewhat hijacking this thread and drawing it OT) was specifically about getting a Wise debit card.

To answer your question, no, you can't get a Wise card to a Thai address (yet). I've received mine to an EU address, utility bill was sufficient for verification (I'm not EU citizen). Not sure about verification in other supported countries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redpill17 said:

To answer your question, no, you can't get a Wise card to a Thai address (yet).

Wasn't me asking a question, it was me answering a question by stating what you just said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, redpill17 said:

To answer your question, no, you can't get a Wise card to a Thai address (yet). I've received mine to an EU address, utility bill was sufficient for verification (I'm not EU citizen). Not sure about verification in other supported countries.

But EU citizens can open an account ?

On 3/21/2021 at 4:39 PM, CharlieH said:

I contacted Stripe and got this message "Unfortunately, Stripe is not currently supported in your country, thus, we will not be able to work with you at this time. "

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Smithson said:

I contacted Stripe and got this message "Unfortunately, Stripe is not currently supported in your country, thus, we will not be able to work with you at this time. "

Did you tell them that you are from Thailand ?

of course there is a list of country supported.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thailanddogerator said:

Trying to set up a business account and was denied as I'm in Thailand. Even if I hadn't told them, would I be able to withdraw to my Thai account?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, Salerno said:

It does seem problematic. I've registered for Wise but find the interface very minimal and without proper explanations. The internet guides are more like ads telling you how good and easy it is, but no details on the requirements.

The set up fee was refunded without explanation, later I found it was because I didn't upload my ID in time.

I don't think it will work for me anyway.

The PP account is a business one, however it's registered in a former director's name and it seems that's impossible to change. Also I get this message on PP:

"You can only link a bank account in Thai Baht."

So I don't know whether it is possible to link to a Wise account.

The problem I have with so many things is I'm not a US citizen and I'm not Thai. When reading on the different services there's plenty of info on the benefits, but little on the constraints and requirements. If I need to supply several forms of ID  it's extremely difficult because I've been here 28 years and almost everything I have is in the company name.

My present obstacle with Wise is I don't have a CC or debit card, mainly because Bangkok Bank switched from Visa to Union Pay. I need to renew my K Bank card, but fear once that's done I'll strike another obstacle.

As I discovered when I tried to register for Stripe, it's been frustrating, glad you found it amusing.

So I'm pretty much back where I started.

Can anyone recommend a service that can be used for Shopify online payments, that allows invoices/money requests to be sent, does not have limitations for non-Thais in Thailand and does not require me to be a US citizen? Thanks