e-visa application now required in US ?!?!

Thinking about getting a TR 60 day visa, I looked at the visa info on the Thai Embassy website where I read "From 18 February 2021, visa applicants in the United States are required to apply online through the website https://www.thaievisa.go.th/." Further, looking over the application manual and the website itself, it seems that a) In order to get a visa one has now to travel to appear in person at one of the consulates, and b) one has to account for every day's accommodation during the intended stay with confirmed bookings!

I gather that the in-person appearance has already been instated for some European countries; what purpose does it serve? Other than making visa-exempt entries all the more attractive, I suppose.

And are RITs (Rich Independent Travelers) the sort to fully book their 60 days in advance? Where's the Independence in that? 

Hard to see how these requirements will work to increase tourist numbers in the future.

That's not exactly correct.  The e visa was just started in USA but has been used in other countries for quite some time. The platform was created pre-covid so that's why it indicates an in person visit. During the application process once you upload your documents you can pay for the visa on line. It's even more confusing because it gives the option to schedule an appointment but your receipt indicates that there are no in person visits due to covid and it will be handle via the mail. They need to fix the wording to better inform people at the front end rather the completion end. As for the booking of stay for the complete 60 days is not correct either   you just need to show where you go after ASQ quarantine is complete and it can be as short as 1 day if booking to a hotel or if you have a home your documents to show that. Again the explanation wording really should be clearer on the web application.   

23 hours ago, Dan O said:

That's not exactly correct. 

Thanks for the clarification. I will try to complete the application process and let all know how it turns out. I could of course do a visa-exempt entry and try for an extension, but current stories (here and from friends in Pattaya) of the horrors of Jomtien immigration these days makes me prefer the TR visa route, as long as no trip to Chi-town and extensive booking info is needed.

Archived