Best ( cheap) White Wine in Thailand

Pilotman

3 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

I agree with the Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc as a very good wine with a meal. However, I find the Mont Clair sold in 7 and most shops quite palatable and is sold by the half bottle size at 189B. 

I find Mont Clair is ok and the 5lt box is silly cheap. long time since i brought it but roughly 300 per liter

1 hour ago, bermondburi said:

Just buy one of the 20 litre bottles from Makro. That's all you need. The clear plastic tubing for decanting is widely available. You can use bread yeast if you can't get wine yeast. 

Temperature shouldn't be an issue. Never stopped me in Saudi Arabia.... Which can get warm. 

I have a wine hydrometer, my problem is getting it to stop! last I made was 17% . So less sugar at the start and sweeten to taste after. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have a wine hydrometer, my problem is getting it to stop! last I made was 17% . So less sugar at the start and sweeten to taste after. 

This table may help you. A typical juice may contain around 14g of sugar per 100ml serving, so around 140g/litre of juice which is only going to get you to around 8%. 

Add another 70g/litre to get to around 13%. That's not going to be totally exact because not all of those sugars in the juice are the same and some ferment better than others. 

Personally, I find adding 75g/litre makes it a bit too sweet, so I tend to opt for around the 72 or 73 mark. 

Screenshot_20210320_121226_com.android.chrome_edit_31099684144212.jpg

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have made my own here too, but I find it almost impossible to get white grape juice. The wine I do make, when I can be bothered, using red grapes, is as good as the 300 to 400 Baht bottles. 

Please be aware that fermenting your own wine is illegal in Thailand.  I know that a million Thais do it but as a farang you need to be careful.

23 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

Please be aware that fermenting your own wine is illegal in Thailand.  I know that a million Thais do it but as a farang you need to be careful.

leave it mate, I don't need a lecture from you.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

True, and it's a bit sad so many are out there gouging what they can out of wine sales.!

And to be honest, I personally am not a big drinker, not even regular, but when I do I buy by reputation not price. Eg: Clairette de Die (tradition) maybe Euro 8/bottle, a lovely light summer wine or Gaia Barolo Euro 80/bottle (if your lucky) a nice big bold red.
So for me it's about taste not price.

Unfortunately as Thailand is not a wine producing region and wine drinking is not traditional with Thais, wine has to be imported, and so they know most sales go to Farangs, thus the gouging.!

I think you will find the gouging is by the government, the last time I looked there were about three layers of tax on wine including one called I think a health tax.

Its hardly to protect the Thai wine industry as they don’t produce anything here you could call wine.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I think you will find the gouging is by the government, the last time I looked there were about three layers of tax on wine including one called I think a health tax.

Its hardly to protect the Thai wine industry as they don’t produce anything here you could call wine.

A bit unfair to thai wines. The shiraz from Monsoon Valley is excellent, comparable with anything from Europe. 

And due to the pandemic, last time I was there, they were doing buy 2 bottles get 1 free. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

A bit unfair to thai wines. The shiraz from Monsoon Valley is excellent, comparable with anything from Europe. 

And due to the pandemic, last time I was there, they were doing buy 2 bottles get 1 free. 

To be honest I have never heard of it but if you an tell me where it’s available I will try.

I am not a great read drinker but when I do I buy Australian or Californian normally my Thai wife likes Reds in moderation of course.

The Thai whites I have tried were terrible couldn’t finish but maybe there is one out there.

The sad thing is that if they got people in to show them what to do they could produce decent wine here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

To be honest I have never heard of it but if you an tell me where it’s available I will try.

I am not a great read drinker but when I do I buy Australian or Californian normally my Thai wife likes Reds in moderation of course.

The Thai whites I have tried were terrible couldn’t finish but maybe there is one out there.

The sad thing is that if they got people in to show them what to do they could produce decent wine here.

Should have said “red “in second paragraph.

17 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one, because having tasted the Monsoon Valley Shiraz, I would say it was not a patch on anything I've tasted from Europe, mostly in the Rhône Valley and southern France.

Furthermore, these days the best expression of Shiraz comes from Australia, with just a few shining through in the USA. And as for Australian Shiraz, I can buy JJ McWilliams Shiraz for just over 400 baht a bottle here, and it is a well-made wine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Monsoon Valley Vineyard about 45mins inland from Hua Hin. There's a very nice restaurant there too with a great view of the surrounding hills.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one, because having tasted the Monsoon Valley Shiraz, I would say it was not a patch on anything I've tasted from Europe, mostly in the Rhône Valley and southern France.

Furthermore, these days the best expression of Shiraz comes from Australia, with just a few shining through in the USA. And as for Australian Shiraz, I can buy JJ McWilliams Shiraz for just over 400 baht a bottle here, and it is a well-made wine.

No need to be afraid, one man's wine........ 

Agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Upstairs in Villa (on Sukhumvit) there are many NZ Sav Blancs around the 700/800 Bt mark.

That's generally twice the price of here in Australia.

Try and get the most recent vintage you can find i.e. 2020.  Sav Blancs tend to lose their acidity after about 9 months and with that, much of the passionfruity "cat's <deleted>" flavour characteristic that they're noted for.

Also the NZ Pinot Gris and Grigio are excellent value.

I've seen SACRED HILL (with a bright orange label) on special sometimes.

Their Sav Blancs are nice...  and if you want a lighter style Red,  their Pinot Noirs are great.  

19 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I find Mont Clair is ok and the 5lt box is silly cheap. long time since i brought it but roughly 300 per liter

1500 baht for a box of fruit wine isn't "silly cheap" IMO. The same thing (except it would be real wine) in Australia would be around 300 baht, or 1/5th of the price here.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, bermondburi said:

Monsoon Valley Vineyard about 45mins inland from Hua Hin. There's a very nice restaurant there too with a great view of the surrounding hills.

Probably the best winery in Thailand.  For wines, views and food.  We routinely get very good discounts when buying there.  But we buy a case...or 2...LOL

On 3/20/2021 at 3:17 PM, brianthainess said:

The Mont Clair box is still there. Unfortunately, they [deleted] it by adding "orchard fruits" - cheap, nasty fruit juice - as of mid last year and it's now off the menu chez nous. It never was exactly a conoisseur's drink; it was basic and did a job. Now, I wouldn't wash my car with it.

There are still some boxes that are not too awful (or adulterated) though: as a rough guide, if it says it's BOTTLED (or packed) in AU or RSA, you are probably ok. I've been mainlining 'Mountain Vineyards' - Chenin blanc and Shiraz - from RSA and as yet no ill effects - at least nothing worse than I used to get with Mont Clair!

On 3/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, bermondburi said:

Thanks for your reply there is a slight problem, we live about 150 kms North of Chiang Mai it’s a long way to go to try the wine.

I will keep my eyes open for it in Rimping they keep a good range.

We had a nice bottle of Australian Wolf Blaz Shiraz last night very enjoyable and reasonably priced.