Bangkok: Big Chinese backed loan sharking operation busted in Huay Kwang

rooster59

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Who did the loan sharks hire as muscle and enforcers?

A further 62 Thai workers were arrested.  Each staffer had 140 accounts to follow up on and 20 million baht was being loaned a day.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

Who did the loan sharks hire as muscle and enforcers?

Locals, probably. I remember when I was having a beer outside a mate's apartment building. Two thick set Thai blokes pulled up on big bikes, and parked next to my big bike. They were really friendly, and we talked bikes for a while. Then they knocked on a nearby ground floor apartment door, going on to threaten the people who answered that they would be 'in danger' if they didn't pay up whatever they owed. Smiling to us as they got back on their bikes, they really were quite scary.

No shortage of local muscle in the debt collection business.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Locals, probably. I remember when I was having a beer outside a mate's apartment building. Two thick set Thai blokes pulled up on big bikes, and parked next to my big bike. They were really friendly, and we talked bikes for a while. Then they knocked on a nearby ground floor apartment door, going on to threaten the people who answered that they would be 'in danger' if they didn't pay up whatever they owed. Smiling to us as they got back on their bikes, they really were quite scary.

No shortage of local muscle in the debt collection business.

Professionals like that would be scary if you owed money. I'm glad Thai Police are catching these scammers who are draining money out of Thailand.

22 hours ago, bradiston said:

Incredible isn't it (or not). Every day I read about yet another online scam. And 99% mention Chinese involvement and/or backing. So what's the love affair with the Chinese? Costing the country millions.

Maybe that's why 2 Chinese men have been renting (staying at) 2 houses near us for the past 10 days. The houses cost 60K a day each. The men NEVER go out. All food and 3 or 4 girls are delivered to them every day. Yesterday the girls went shopping alone. Today there were about 15 - 20 paper bags outside from Prada, Channel, Moschino, Gabbana and others. At 8 am the girls were picked up one by one and I noticed that the cars were already full of similar bags. The same girls are delivered to all the parties.

The houses are owned by a group of Chinese men who rent them out for parties (always Chinese guests). Once when there was a group of 15 or so and they were very noisy and threw fireworks at my dog, I exploded in anger and said "Now I am going to the police". I am not joking, in less than 3 minutes they had grabbed all their belongings, jumped in the cars and were gone.

Sometimes 20 or so men arrive and they sit indoors VERY quietly. I wonder what they are doing.

No point in going to the police as we are sure they know what's going on. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, petedk said:

Maybe that's why 2 Chinese men have been renting (staying at) 2 houses near us for the past 10 days. The houses cost 60K a day each. The men NEVER go out. All food and 3 or 4 girls are delivered to them every day. Yesterday the girls went shopping alone. Today there were about 15 - 20 paper bags outside from Prada, Channel, Moschino, Gabbana and others. At 8 am the girls were picked up one by one and I noticed that the cars were already full of similar bags. The same girls are delivered to all the parties.

The houses are owned by a group of Chinese men who rent them out for parties (always Chinese guests). Once when there was a group of 15 or so and they were very noisy and threw fireworks at my dog, I exploded in anger and said "Now I am going to the police". I am not joking, in less than 3 minutes they had grabbed all their belongings, jumped in the cars and were gone.

Sometimes 20 or so men arrive and they sit indoors VERY quietly. I wonder what they are doing.

I don't blame you for telling them not to throw fireworks at your dog, but it's always better to avoid people like this and look the other way. If they're that cashed up, and if they are criminals, then they'll have enforcers in tow as well as pretty girls. Let the cops deal with it, assuming they're not part of it.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:31 AM, rooster59 said:

Arrested were a Chinese manager called Fong, 39, and a 30 year old Chinese technician called Hong. 

and RTP didn't get suspicious with an operation name  HongFong   ????????????

16 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I don't blame you for telling them not to throw fireworks at your dog, but it's always better to avoid people like this and look the other way. If they're that cashed up, and if they are criminals, then they'll have enforcers in tow as well as pretty girls. Let the cops deal with it, assuming they're not part of it.

I agree with you entirely. I had difficulty in holding the dog as she panicked, as I was walking past. It was an uncontrolled outburst.

Pretty sure the cops are involved. I have seen "things happen early in the mornings"

• Like 1

20 hours ago, petedk said:

60K each day? Wow, that must be a super mansion.

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

60K each day? Wow, that must be a super mansion.

That's what their website says.

As I said there are 2 houses, door to door and there is 1 Chinese man in each house (plus an assortment of girls in the evenings)

They used to cost 200K a month and were usually occupied by British expats. Then the Chines bought them and the price is 300K a month or 60K a day.

They are not super mansion, but i think there are 5 bedrooms. I think it is the location that drives the prices up.

Edited by petedk