Hard to find a restaurant in our city that doesn't play annoying loud music

jack71

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Good luck with that search OP. Impossible near me, unless the place is run by a farang.  The strangled cat noise that passes for music here drives me nuts. Then add Karaoke,  by people who can't carry a note, singing (if it can be called that) a tune that is itself just a screeching bellowing wounded buffalo noise and life can be a tad harsh when you have to listen to that <deleted> while you eat or drink. 

Not a fan then?

In some areas people enjoy noise (of their choosing), and in other places they do not. In Salvador, Brazil they have groups of drummers in the streets constantly pounding so loud it echoes through the city. It's deafening. I once talked to a guy that grew up in Salvador but moved away. He told me what he missed the most was all the noise. To each their own. If you don't like it, go some place to be with like-minded people.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

My impression is the Op is  simply stating what he encountered.     i don't see how he's asking for advice on where else he can go.    

He does ask the general question  of why Thai's are obsessed with loud music but I think that question can be asked throughout the planet and not specifically to Thailand 

"Hard to find" indicates he searching/looking for one, to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Not a fan then?

haha, that is putting it mildly. Then again, I never liked punk rock, New Age (whatever that is supposed to be), Garage  or soapy ballads. Strictly heavy metal for me, (AC/DC) which sounds to Mrs P like a screeching bellowing buffalo noise.

Now where have I heard that before.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andy from Kent said:

My impression is the Op is  simply stating what he encountered.     i don't see how he's asking for advice on where else he can go.    

He does ask the general question  of why Thai's are obsessed with loud music but I think that question can be asked throughout the planet and not specifically to Thailand 

Thats true, certainly of the Maltese and Italians.  They are among the noisiest folk around, next to the Chinese, who have to talk to each other at jet engine volume at all times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy from Kent said:

The man is simply pointing out his unhappiness with  loud  music when he goes out for a nice dinner.    Should he be asked to leave the country over such a trifle matter?

It is well known that when anyone complains about anything on TV, common protocol dictates that others , in turn, will complain about said complaining. If you have a complaint about that, kindly direct your complaints to the complaint department.

I think it depends n the time of the day and the venue how music should be played, if go out for a meal with the midget I think it should only be background level, we like to have a conversation not to be shouting over the music.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 12:30 PM, Natai Beach said:

Thai music has many genres and IMO has one of the best music scenes in the world. Thais love to play music, sing along and dance.
It amuses me how some farangs get so uptight about music and are annoyed by something that is fun.

It is played because Thais love it and it attracts customers. In 12 years living here I have never heard a single Thai complain about music.

A farang telling Thais to turn down their music in their country is a bit ugly and selfish IMO.

I will NOT have what you call music imposed upon me! They can turn it down or my Thai wife (who would seem is the first person you know about, complains all the time about cacophony at an outrageous volume) and I, will leave the premises.

It’s basically the low level mentality. Notice the comically oversized exhausts on even commercial vehicles with no performance pretensions.

Was looking for  decent TV in Tesco recently- as I bent down to look at the spec ,the moronic assistant simply turned on the sound bar at full volume to impress me how loud it could go ! Apart from to point at the price sticker they have zero product knowledge . QLED or OLED - not a clue what either of those represent! 

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, Pilotman said:

Good luck with that search OP. Impossible near me, unless the place is run by a farang.  The strangled cat noise that passes for music here drives me nuts. Then add Karaoke,  by people who can't carry a note, singing (if it can be called that) a tune that is itself just a screeching bellowing wounded buffalo noise and life can be a tad harsh when you have to listen to that <deleted> while you eat or drink. 

It's strange, isn't it, how a nation that puts so much emphasis on face, then loses any hope of it by singing off key and sounding ridiculous. I've even seen them on tv strangling a number. Bizarre.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was in an English pub on Sukhumvit, can't name it of course but it was just around the corner from Nana, having a meal. A group of around 15 people came in to drink and dine, and asked if the overloud music could be turned down a little so that they could hear themselves speak. The staff refused, so the party of 15 just got up and left. The staff hadn't a clue about satisfying customers and actually attracting business. I guess they were better suited to working in a Thai-only venue.

Does not surprise me...clueless ......there are four street bars on our soi, all next to each other.......each blasting out there own music...it is horrendous (we were regulars)........I asked the owners if they would consider getting together and  have a single sound system playing across all 4 bars so punters could at least listen to the music.....they just laughed.

On 3/20/2021 at 3:36 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

It is well known that when anyone complains about anything on TV, common protocol dictates that others , in turn, will complain about said complaining. If you have a complaint about that, kindly direct your complaints to the complaint department.

what if your complaint is against the complaint department? 

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:46 AM, jack71 said:

We have so many restaurant options in our city but all of them play music like this and I find it a wind up to be honest.

I think there-in lies the problem....it is not our city....it is their's and therefore they have the right to listen music as loud as they like.

I do agree that it is too loud and therefore often distorted with the base shaking every window nearby.  Even in our small village we have the vendors in pick-ups winding the sois with their huge speakers blasting....especially voting time.  While if really p#@@es me off I have to hold back and remind myself I am only a guest.