Justice League's Zack Snyder talks regret over solo Cyborg movie

snoop1130

justice-league-cyborg-ray-fisher-1614800816.png

WARNER BROS.

Justice League has recently been re-released as Zack Snyder's Justice League, or the Snyder Cut as fans call it, restoring the film to the director's original vision and redeeming it in the eyes of many (Digital Spy included, we thought it was a big improvement).

Although it sets up both a sequel and a potential solo movie for Cyborg, the way the DC superhero movies have gone since the original version of Justice League in 2017 means that a Ray Fisher-led movie is very much up in the air right now, and Snyder is gutted that he didn't lay more groundwork for it to to happen when he was in charge of things.

Speaking to Esquire, the director said: "I'm very sad that I didn't push harder to set up the Cyborg movie before we shot Justice League because I'd done a lot of work to set up Wonder Woman and Aquaman and to get those movies on their feet.

Full Story: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a35895599/justice-league-zack-snyder-regret-solo-cyborg-movie/

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with the Snyder cut. Yes, it was longer and had more "backstory" segments, which were great, but it also cut (deliberately) some of the stuff from the other version that made it viewable.

And the villain (Steppenwolf) was still pretty lame despite the new CGI rendering. (Lol - apparently there was the thought that Steppenwolf was "too menacing or scary" so they went back to the original concept !) 
Lol - he was about as scary as they've made Drax in the MCU. Capable of beating the <deleted> out of normal beings but overmatched by almost every superhero or villain he encounters.

And oh, look, the DCU now has it's own "Thanos" (or would that be "Thanos light") complete with henchmen, in another dimension.

Wow, where have we seen that before ? And then they change so much of the original. Suddenly the Flash is capable of time travel by travelling faster than light, Steppenwolf is beheaded instead of disappearing into his "wormhole teleporter", now there is an even bigger "bad guy" waiting in the wings. 

This has all the feel of the first Avengers movie, with Steppenwolf being substituted for Loki, the "parademons" replacing the Chitari, a failed invasion of Earth beaten back by a hastily assembled group of heroes, then a "super bad guy" being revealed as the real villain. 

It felt like a lame attempt to try and keep up with the MCU by copying elements of that universe, right down to the "in the nick of time" arrival of an invincible superhero to save the day (i.e. Thor with Stormbreaker in Infinity Wars, Capt Marvel in Endgame and Superman in Justice League).

I can imagine that what will happen next will be a couple "stand alone" movies followed by another "ensemble" movie where the "big" bad guy makes another attempt to conquer Earth (in search of the "anti-life"). He'll probably be successful and cause mass destruction. Then, a couple more "stand alone" movies and then another "ensemble" movie where one of the heroes does something that allows them to reverse the destruction and beat the bad guy.

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

This has all the feel of the first Avengers movie, with Steppenwolf being substituted for Loki, the "parademons" replacing the Chitari, a failed invasion of Earth beaten back by a hastily assembled group of heroes, then a "super bad guy" being revealed as the real villain. 

Since when do movies and TV rely on original ideas and concept?  No, the producers go with retreads using the plots and concepts that made past movies profitable (because they were unique and had fresh ideas and concepts).  Originality is risky so you get the same junk over and over and over.  I like novel and original so personally I seldom follow these genres past the initial releases.
Even flashy CGI get boring when you have seen similar plot lines multiple times.