Divorced But Taking The Plunge Again!

M&M

As always, looking for some friendly advice.... shame it's not ALWAYS friendly! But usually.

Anyway, split with my ex-wife at the start of 2005. Feels like a life time ago now.

I am planning on marrying my new sweetheart in TL in June. We've made loads of plans and everything is looking good - but then I had a worrying thought.

Although I split from my Ex in 2005, due to various arguments and disagreement we didn't get officially divorced until the start of 2006.

So, legally I have only been divorced for 1 and a half years - even though the relationship was over a year before that.

My worry is that this may cause some problem, either @ the British Embassy or on the Thai side? Are there any rules stating that you have to wait a certain time after a divorce before u can marry again?

If so, this could REALLY throw a spanner in the works and make life difficult as we have so much planned already.

Would really appreciate any (sensible) advice from anyone who knows. Tried finding out via Brit. Emb. & google(!) but can't seem to find any answers.

Thanks in advance....

M&M

DO NOT GET MARRIED AGAIN.

A Wise Man Learns From His Mistakes

UM thanks anyway - yeah. But I was hoping for SENSIBLE advice that relates to my question!!

Never mind - some people obviously can't read?

As always, looking for some friendly advice.... shame it's not ALWAYS friendly! But usually.

Anyway, split with my ex-wife at the start of 2005. Feels like a life time ago now.

I am planning on marrying my new sweetheart in TL in June. We've made loads of plans and everything is looking good - but then I had a worrying thought.

Although I split from my Ex in 2005, due to various arguments and disagreement we didn't get officially divorced until the start of 2006.

So, legally I have only been divorced for 1 and a half years - even though the relationship was over a year before that.

My worry is that this may cause some problem, either @ the British Embassy or on the Thai side? Are there any rules stating that you have to wait a certain time after a divorce before u can marry again?

If so, this could REALLY throw a spanner in the works and make life difficult as we have so much planned already.

Would really appreciate any (sensible) advice from anyone who knows. Tried finding out via Brit. Emb. & google(!) but can't seem to find any answers.

Thanks in advance....

M&M

This may be wrong but my understanding is that afrer the decree absolute you can marry whenever you like. The marriage is over, you are no longer married, free to do whatever you wish.

Huw

Are there any rules stating that you have to wait a certain time after a divorce before u can marry again?
Not sure but common sense should say so.

My advice is never get married to a Thai girl unless you've known her for 2 years and been in Thailand for at least 5 years. Or unless you like living on the edge and gambling.

Edited by Neeranam

as long as you had your decree nisi in your hands. you are free to marry anytime you wishes.

Do you not mean "Decree Absolute".

There should be a 6 week gap between the "decree nisi" being issued and the "decree absolute" being issued.

Once the decree absolute has been isuued you are free to marry, without time restrictions.

You will need the original document from the court.

Mine was decree absolute and I think that that is necessary - after the financial settlement, that is.

Get a legal translation of this, present both to the British Consulate and they will certify that you are free to marry.

The civil wedding in the Amphur office is the official, internationally recognised marriage. The nine monks and 900 guests with two bottles of whiskey per guest is the religious, non-recognised-except-by-her-family-and- the-guests event.

sir start worrying about your thai girl marriage...................lol. give us the details. did you meet her on the net. entertainment venue,etc.................lol.

Do you really have to do this everytime a thai/falang marrage is mentioned????????????

Good luck to the OP

Edited by markr

sir start worrying about your thai girl marriage...................lol. give us the details. did you meet her on the net. entertainment venue,etc.................lol.

Do you really have to do this everytime a thai/falang marrage is mentioned????????????

Good luck to the OP

second that ive been married to a thai for 12 years ,and found it better than my 11 year marrage to my english wife ,sure there have been ups and downs no different from anywhere else in the world .being married at a young age was the reason for it breaking up (thought i had missed out on some thing) now realise after 1year being single that being married is a lot better than trapsing round the bars and clubs .good luck to the op and wish him well :o

There is something about having to wait 310 days after a divorce but that may apply to women only

Whatever the OP is fine!

Correct and it does apply to women only. It's time enough to make sure that she isn't with child from the previous marriage.

As far as the OP is concerned, he hasn't got a problem at all.

I think he knows that by now :o

as long as you had your decree nisi in your hands. you are free to marry anytime you wishes.

There should be a 6 week gap between the "decree nisi" being issued and the "decree absolute" being issued.

Once the decree absolute has been isuued you are free to marry, without time restrictions.

Are they 2 different documents? I tot they are the same. Thanks for the enlightenment. :o

Are they 2 different documents? I tot they are the same. Thanks for the enlightenment. :o

The decree nisi is a bit like a "an agreement" with a cooling off period of 6 weeks.

After the 6 weeks, the Decree absolute is like "the signed contract"

The Decree Absolute is the important piece of paper as the Decree Nisi can be contested.

be4 peoplple waste their time its good to know a little info about the cupple.

I don't believe he was opening his life up for your unsolicitored scrutiny, a simple question deserves a simple answer. Sad pr*cks always want pick the crap out of a guys happiness and cast doubt on the relationship he has. I can only imagine the story of your life , maybe one day you will spill your guts and allow our comments.

Edited by khunandy

Thanks for all the good advice and positive comments.

I have had a long friendship with the girl in question, I did not pull her out of the bar - been there done that got burnt! So I am very sure of what I am doing.

However, my first marriage & divorce were in Thailand - i only have ONE difforce certificate which of course is all in Thai. Should I have a second piece of documentation?

Thanks again for the replies,

M&M

There is something about having to wait 310 days after a divorce but that may apply to women only

Whatever the OP is fine!

Correct and it does apply to women only. It's time enough to make sure that she isn't with child from the previous marriage.

As far as the OP is concerned, he hasn't got a problem at all.

I think he knows that by now :o

The woman can bypass this by getting a certification from a doctor that she isn't pregnant.

Are there any rules stating that you have to wait a certain time after a divorce before u can marry again?

My advice is never get married to a Thai girl unless you've known her for 2 years and been in Thailand for at least 5 years. Or unless you like living on the edge and gambling.

Don't bother with such good advice Neery, he won't listen.......Oh! if only I had...........

Spot on. 2-5 years minimum!

I'd like to add one more thing: never get married to a bargirl. Coz they're simply too many decent ones out there and believe you me, and they're also looking for a farang hubby....

I think there are fewer risks marrying a decent hardworking Thai woman than marrying an ex bargirl.......

As for remarrying after a divorce with a different girl - what's wrong with that?

Edited by Flow

flow not all bargirls are bad.

and the decent ones are looking for the same thing as the bargirl, same same.

True true.

All the females want. Someone that can really take care of them, afford them to stay out of troubles, and be nice to them, irrespective of their background.