March 24, 20215 yr A few years ago I had something done to one of my molars. It involved cutting the top off the molar and a root canal procedure. I then had a laser scan of the tooth stump and something was made out of porcelain (I think) which was then glued to the stump. I previously referred to it as a crown, but my dentist said it wasn't. Anyone know what the technical term is? I'm off to the dentist tomorrow (the same tooth is giving me some discomfort) and don't want to appear an ignoramus. Thanks.
March 24, 20215 yr It's called a crown... surely your dentist will know... or else you need a new dentist.
March 24, 20215 yr Technically a crown covers all of the tooth down to the gum after the tooth has been made into a stump (fits over whats left), an onlay or inlay covers only the top of a tooth with most of the tooth still intact (fits on top of whats left) A crown is usually the generic term that covers anything that caps a tooth
March 24, 20215 yr 2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said: Technically a crown covers all of the tooth down to the gum after the tooth has been made into a stump (fits over whats left), an onlay or inlay covers only the top of a tooth with most of the tooth still intact (fits on top of whats left) A crown is usually the generic term that covers anything that caps a tooth It probably is called a cap.
March 24, 20215 yr Read this one : https://www.healthline.com/find-care/articles/dentists/dental-crown#types It's all about crowns, caps, onlays, etc
March 24, 20215 yr 2 hours ago, Oxx said: A few years ago I had something done to one of my molars. It involved cutting the top off the molar and a root canal procedure. I then had a laser scan of the tooth stump and something was made out of porcelain (I think) which was then glued to the stump. I previously referred to it as a crown, but my dentist said it wasn't. Anyone know what the technical term is? I'm off to the dentist tomorrow (the same tooth is giving me some discomfort) and don't want to appear an ignoramus... From your description, it sounds like an dental implant. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/dental-implant-surgery/about/pac-20384622
Create an account or sign in to comment