8800 Gts 320

dttk0009

So I am going to buy a new display card over the next week, and I've chosen the 8800 GTS 320mb model as most suitable for my machine and demands. I looked online for a rough pricerange of what to expect in Thailand, and I noticed something strange. I was initially going to buy the XFX card, because they are a reliable card producing company and known for their well performing models. However, I noticed that a cheaper model, the Galaxy GeForce 8800 GTS 320. You'll notice that the model has a tweaked clock speed and memory, 580 and 1650 instead of 500 and 1600 respectively. Now I ask, why is this card significantly cheaper than the XFX that comes with the standard speed etc. I'm aware that this card is extremely overclockable, regardless, if I can pay less and get more, I'm going to do that. Otherwise I'd just stick with the XFX because I know what I'm getting. I have never even heard of Galaxy brand cards. Anyone have any experience with this line?

So I am going to buy a new display card over the next week, and I've chosen the 8800 GTS 320mb model as most suitable for my machine and demands. I looked online for a rough pricerange of what to expect in Thailand, and I noticed something strange. I was initially going to buy the XFX card, because they are a reliable card producing company and known for their well performing models. However, I noticed that a cheaper model, the Galaxy GeForce 8800 GTS 320. You'll notice that the model has a tweaked clock speed and memory, 580 and 1650 instead of 500 and 1600 respectively. Now I ask, why is this card significantly cheaper than the XFX that comes with the standard speed etc. I'm aware that this card is extremely overclockable, regardless, if I can pay less and get more, I'm going to do that. Otherwise I'd just stick with the XFX because I know what I'm getting. I have never even heard of Galaxy brand cards. Anyone have any experience with this line?

IIRC, Galaxy is a brand that does quite a bit of work for OEM. Thus, they're able to buy quite a few chips from nVidia/ATI, and save a bunch in the price the pay. They're apparently trying to also get in the lucrative aftermarket, and it appears in order to do so, they're passing some of those savings on to consumers to lure them. Here's a link to an older review of a Galaxy board.

As a side note, I always stick with EVGA. Well, I do now since I've given up on ATI actually releasing a Linux driver that's worth the bandwidth to download it.