True Adsl For 550thb & A Local Proxy?

Kalle_Sandare

A small question for our community techies.

What is True Localnet? All computers/servers in Thailand or all computers in Telecom Asias network?

Will I be able to have a P2P connection in Thailand, with TT&T, Ji-Net users,

or any connection under CAT?

If having a True 550thb internet connection and connected to the localnet is it possible to surf thru a local PROXY in Thailand that has a for example a 128kb-2mb internet connection out to the "real internet".

Any people or corps in Thailand willing to set up a system like that? Maybe we can find some sort of funding if enough people are interested.

In my humble knowledge a proxy works like the following, please correct me if Im wrong, this is info for those who not really understand what a proxy does:

Proxy Server = ususally a dedicated server/computer that is the middle man between you and the requested server/webpage. Also used for anonymity and access to restricted websites.

The Browser uses a proxy (www.MyThaiproxy.co.th or a dedicated IP 127.0.0.1 :o ) defined in the settings.

When typing in for example www.cnn.com, the browser makes a request to the proxy to get the web page.

The proxy then checks it's memory of previous calls (memory = cache/Hard drive), to the www.cnn.com and compares the content. If the content is the same, it then sends the cached info/page to the user's web browser otherwise it downloads the new page to the cache and then sends it to the browser.

The same happens when downloading files, if the file is allready stored in the proxy server, the user who happens to make the second and third request will have a more quick download of the file.

How this will affect for example game play where you need a constant low ping rate(time between you/server) I'm not shure.

Someone else on this type of knowledge?

What kind of applications are not suitable to use thru a proxy.

Since I live in Bkk and the speeds are not that impressive comparing to what you pay. And I read the TT&T offering thread.

Does that mean that we who live in BKK can not get the TT&T phoneline and in that way not get the ADSL from them?

Or is it just to end my TA phone subscription and get a TT&T phone line and ADSL instead?

This question is if it works:

How about if someone having 2*2mb TT&T lines that is connected to a Proxy and sharing that other end to people?

Would people on the localnet be able to connect to the proxy and get to the world?

Would it be sluggish, what would a good "Line" setup be to serve about 50-200 simultanious users?

Unfortunately I'm not shure if this works this way in the land of smiles, and I have not the funding for setting up the system yet.

But that would make the True localnet offer more interesting if not have to spend 14thb/h extra for a connection to the world.

Cheerio.... and hopefully some others find this topic interesting.

Good question. This may be posible over a browser but it's not gonna happen with peer to peer clients. I take it your confined to a TA system like me?

Hang tight, I've strong mail that TA will bring out packages to rival TOT's in 2 to 3 months time.

A proxy is just that, a proxy, a middleman. It doesn't have to keep any cache of previously accessed information, it's just that web proxies usually do. It doesn't have to be only for accessing web pages. There are things called socks proxies which allow you to access nearly every type of service on the web, like p2p.

In Thailand, international links are uber-expensive (at least, compared to other countries), while local links (between ISPS and anything within Thailand) are just plain expensive (blame CAT). This has led to the Thai ISP's lame-brained concept of crippled "local net", in which you pay a monthly fee for unlimited local access, and an extra hourly fee if you want true internet access. Local access of course refers to any traffic that stays within the ISP or passes the local exchange. Practically useless, especially for foreigners, since you can't access sites hosted outside of Thailand like google, hotmail or yahoo. The hourly rates for real internet access aren't worth it, considering the fact that you're already paying a monthly rate comparable to full access elsewhere.

Some Thais have figured a way around this by using proxies. They simply connect to some open proxy located in Thailand, and which falls in the "local" traffic catagory. The proxy itself is not limited to this "local" rule, and so has access to the world, thus allowing others to access the world.

The problem with this is that these proxies, which people tend to refer to as "free", aren't actually free. They're technically "open" proxies, in which the system admistrator forgot (or didn't know how to) restrict access. Legal-wise, accessing these proxies without express permission is against the law. These proxies also vary in reliablility and speed, since you have to remember that they are probably the proxy of some Thai company or university. Having tons of outsiders accessing their proxy is likely to make it slow or be shut down sooner or later. You also have to locate these proxies first before using them.

Some Thais saw a business opportunity in this mess, and set up their own "pay" proxies with hosting services. You pay them a montly fee (usually about the same as the local fee) by bank transfer, you get a user/pass to acess the proxy, and get reliable 24/7 proxy service. Some also provide socks proxies, and others provide VPN, which is easier to configure. Although these services are in the gray area of the law, they've been operating for quite some time without hiccups. I tried one for a few months and found that speeds were very good, and the price, although more than in other countries, is a lot cheaper than paying for real unlimited internet access.

Another thing, if you're referring to the HiNet 2mbit TT&T lines, there are two problems. First is that you're getting a private IP, which means that you're going through a translation in the TT&T system, which means that NO-ONE in the internet can initiate a connection with you (but you can initiate a connection with them). Secondly, many many people have complained that the HiNet's inernational bandwidth is capped, usually to 128k, so even if you could share it, it wouldn't be much to share. If you wanted to do something like this, what you could do is something like what I mentioned above:Co-host. Put a server (proxy, vpn) at some ISP which offers co-hosting and give out user/passes. Voila, instant internet access for local net users. Even Hinet 2mbit users would benefit from this, since they get full local bandwidth to the co-hosting location, and therefore full internet speeds via proxy. You would have to get a good co-hosting deal (unlimited bandwidth) for this to work, but yes, it can support hundreds of users.

Hi

Check out www.onspeed.com This is a pay proxy based in the UK but it compresses data first and your pages download really quickly. Acheap alternative to ADSL. It's had loads of rave write ups in the press. If you want a free trial I can send you one. contact :- [email protected] Yes I do earn a commision but it is an excellent product and worth testing

Steve

Thanks for that info Firefoxx. I did not believe you could use p2p via proxy. So briefly what you saying is with a "pay for" proxy I can use p2p apps with TA's local net package? How great are the risks associated with this (in terms of pissing off CAT)

So far, I haven't actually seen any real prosecution of these services. What I have seen is one service going down because of *fear* of prosecution, but that was a long time ago, when these services were just starting out.

The only real risk to you, the end user, is in the service itself. These are not actually companies providing the service, but rather just people like you and me who bought co-location services and set up their own proxy. Payment to them is by monthly bank transfer, and so you might stand to lost one month's payment if they suddenly decide to stop their service. I very strongly doubt that CAT will decide to go after you for using this service. It's never happened before, even to the service providers, and legally CAT doesn't have much on their side.

P2P will work with socks or VPN (I've tried it myself). A HTTP proxy will not work, but most at least provide socks, if not VPN.

I used one service for about 4 months, and it was generally good. Good speeds comparable to a real internet connection, easy connection (VPN), and very little down time. A cell phone number was provided for tech support. In comparison, my ADSL service was down for longer than the proxy service.

For the VPN service, I say that it's easy to use since what you do is: setup a new connection of type PPTP (very easy). Connect to the "local net" adsl service. Connect to the PPTP service. That's it. No proxy setup, no fiddling with settings in IE, nothing.

Firefoxx,

I was not able to find and pay for proxies, but found some free proxies. They seemed quite fast using http. I'm not sure if these proxies are compatible with SOCKS 4,5. I tried to use overnet with the proxy address, but it seemed to still work even when I entered a random IP address in the proxy settings?!?!

I was quite suprised that most websites advertising proxy IP's were being blocked. I had to use terminal services to a machine in the US to find one, once I got it I could access all these sites (www.stayinvisible.com) is very good.

Anyway, some food for thought. I'd love an ADSL connection. If I can't get TOT, then maybe I can just jimmy TA's services.

Pay proxies aren't advertised openly, due to obvious reasons. If you're interested, I will try to find some contact information. Keep in mind that that the people running these proxies are Thais, and so are probably not proficient in English.

An HTTP proxy is not a SOCKS proxy. Open ("free") socks proxies are MUCH harder to find than HTTP proxies, since they aren't as commonly used by various organizations. Even if you do manage to find one (which I doubt) it will be shut down eventually, just like any other open proxy. Basically no P2P programs will work properly with an HTTP proxy, and a few won't work even with a socks proxy.

Finding a HTTP proxy is not that hard. Do a google search for "anonymous Thai proxy" or "anonymity Thai proxy". Lots of hits. Don't be surprised at blocking, Thai ISPs seem to block whatever catches their fancy.

TA (or rather, True) is supposedly coming out with "real" and actually affordable unlimited ADSL internet packages within the next month. It's not confirmed yet, but there are many rumors floating around. You might want to wait one more month and see what they have to offer. The bad thing about True is that a price drop usually means a drop in services, take for example the introduction of crippled "local net" which allowed them to advertise "5x speeds" at superlow prices.

Nice talkin boys and hmmm, maybe not so many girls. Hope they will join, they probably want quick internet aswell.

Ok, I am glad that there is people who are has knowledge about things here, well that's what forum's usually is all about.

--snip--

Link removed by admin. Deep links not allowed, please see our TOS.

/Admin

--snip---

Hopefully interesting info about Wifi, ADSL, internet in and out of Bkk. Well I live here so that's why I am interested in it.

If someone is interested about Homebrewing Pringles cans and other Cans into 2.5ghz antennas in Bkk, please drop a note to me: [email protected].

Bangkok is pretty nice area for trying out to do stuff like that.

There is so many random high rise buildings and condos and nothing around for a few kilometers. and then another high rise. How hard could it be to make a FREE wireless Bkk, or atleast try to make a BKK network.

With our own decentralised stuff to share with eachother here in Bkk. Maybe set up a few dedicated game servers, p2p, video conference or even multimedia streamers, with this i mean dedicated transfer from abroad to a server and multi broadcast to the people in the system.

That requires that someone sets up a computer and broadcasts to the dedicated broadcast server/s.

For me I miss having the World Hockey games that is played every year.

You might be missing your local TV show or channel.

We might become a local, local net.... :-) ONLY for farangs.... :D

Suggeestion names: guava-net, farang-net

So any net-brains in the forum who might be interested?? Network planning, good software to be used, security, server configs, support and so on.

I have forgotten most of my past life, but I'm trying to catch up as fast as I can so I take all the brainstorming I can.

cheerio...

And for those who might know me... I am the captain of the "Evicted Ones" :o

Edited by george

Firefoxx,

Yeah, plenty of hits for "thailand proxy", but they were all blocked, so it was hard to get the IPs. Maybe your ISP does not block so heavily. Anyway, I have it now. Seems might be worth waiting for TA's forthcoming offer. I really need p2p. NEED ENTIRE RED DWARF AND MONKEY MAGIC COLLECTION NOW.

Cheers

hehe, I called TA again this morning and it was all so hush hush.. quite amusing since they are already deploying the service to existing customers. Did not get boo out of them.

One question, I have a friend who used the TA service (before it became True) and he says he needed to buy a proprietory ADSL modem from TA (like very expensive too) anyone else here know about this? If not... what's a good model to buy, are they kind of similar like dialup modems?

One question, I have a friend who used the TA service (before it became True) and he says he needed to buy a proprietory ADSL modem from TA (like very expensive too) anyone else here know about this?

They offer modem with setup software when you order service but it does not seem to be a requirement to buy. At any rate it is a normal ADSL modem such as the ZyXEL Prestige 630 and costs about 1,200 baht. The new service is advertised as compatible with 1. ASKEY-Ale070 2. ZYXEL-Prestige630 3. BILLION-Bipac7000 modems (which probably means they provide downloadable setup software for these models). It is a PPPoE service.