Acquiring Thailand Health/Covid Insurance from overseas

I have the following dilemma. Travelling out of Thailand in the not so far away future, I am wondering, how, as an expat without a credit card, I can acquire the necessary Thailand-based 100,000US$/Covid insurance before returning to Thailand. (How can I buy such an insurance when overseas in Australia or Malaysia).

You can do online transfer from most any Thai bank to a company like True/Luma insurance.  I've used that company on several occasions over the past year, sometimes paying via credit card, other times via transfer from my Thai bank account.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hereforgood said:

I have both and happy with them both

Why not use your debit/credit card from your bank in Australia for the payment? My credit card is from the USA and I use it for this payment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I am wondering, how, as an expat without a credit card, I can.......

I assume you also include no debit card and online bank account be is Thai or foreign that you don't have.

I love thaivisa....just when I have read the most out there post for the week, instantly the bar is raised.

Organize yourself.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I assume you also include no debit card and online bank account be is Thai or foreign that you don't have.

I love thaivisa....just when I have read the most out there post for the week, instantly the bar is raised.

Organize yourself.

Fair enough. So far I got around without online banking and a debit card. (Had one years ago, though.) But I guess due to the changes after the pandemic I will need to sign up again for both. As long as I can use the card online.

24 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Fair enough. So far I got around without online banking and a debit card. (Had one years ago, though.) But I guess due to the changes after the pandemic I will need to sign up again for both. As long as I can use the card online.

Has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Your saying you have no existing bank a/c here or overseas. That in itself is remarkable. 

BTW depending on your visa/extension situation you might find it not a straight forward process to open a bank account.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Your saying you have no existing bank a/c here or overseas. That in itself is remarkable. 

BTW depending on your visa/extension situation you might find it not a straight forward process to open a bank account.

I wrote "online banking"...

While I have a few bank accounts in Thailand, I have no idea which bank (Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, or SCB) offers a fully-online-usable debit card. The debit card I used years ago was only good for paying for goods at checkouts.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

24 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

While I have a few bank accounts in Thailand, I have no idea which bank (Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, or SCB) offers a fully-online-usable debit card. The debit card I used years ago was only good for paying for goods at checkouts.

You are seriously out of touch with the modern world. I think you stay in Thailand too much.

30 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Provided it has the 'Mastercard' or 'Visa' symbol, they can be used online payments.

Bangkok Bank have the standard 'Union Pay' card (useless), but you can request a 'Mastercard' debit card. Kasikorn use the 'Visa' debit card.

Don't know about SCB, but assume that will also be a 'Visa' debit card.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I vaguely remember having a bank atm card that was just for the atm when I was a wee bit younger.

I also had a hard copy bank savings book from "universal bank" (I think) that recorded all my deposits and withdrawls. The teller would return it to me and I could see the interest I got. I remember seeing a couple dollars of free money on there and got really excited about living off the interest one day.

Edited by DerbyDan

42 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Bangkok Bank have the standard 'Union Pay' card (useless), but you can request a 'Mastercard' debit card.

Correct unless you are buying train tickets on the SRT website (Krung Thai). Tried my Mastercard and it came back asking for my Union Pay card. That is only time I have used it online (ok for ATM's).

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct unless you are buying train tickets on the SRT website (Krung Thai). Tried my Mastercard and it came back asking for my Union Pay card. That is only time I have used it online (ok for ATM's).

One other issue I've experienced with Thai online sites, is although it states debit/credit card payment, when you actually get to the payment section, only a credit card can be used.

By phone they can process the payment by debit card, but online not.

• Like 1