Dowary

samui bill

Hi i have been with my thai gf now for 3 years and we want to get married next year ans she has told me about the dowary thing,which i know about,she says that 200,000b would be ok as we dont have that much money,she said that her sister got married to a thai and that is what he paid,i have heard that farang pay anything into the millions,is 200,000b a fair price to be paid to her family,her dad is dead now and she has no children yet.any help would be good.thanks.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i have been with my thai gf now for 3 years and we want to get married next year ans she has told me about the dowary thing,which i know about,she says that 200,000b would be ok as we dont have that much money,she said that her sister got married to a thai and that is what he paid,i have heard that farang pay anything into the millions,is 200,000b a fair price to be paid to her family,her dad is dead now and she has no children yet.any help would be good.thanks.

A dowry is the amount that the bride's family pays the groom.

You are talking about sinsod or bride's price.

this has been discussed many times. Some, as in my case, pay nothing. I paid for the party, the rings, the wedding but no sinsod. My mother in law said she did not want it and that we should use our money to start our new life together.

this has been discussed many times. Some, as in my case, pay nothing. I paid for the party, the rings, the wedding but no sinsod. My mother in law said she did not want it and that we should use our money to start our new life together.

I never heard of the brides family paying the groom!sinsod and dowry are the same(thats what my gf just told me).thanks.

I never heard of the brides family paying the groom!sinsod and dowry are the same(thats what my gf just told me).thanks.

Very prevelant still in many countries and was standard practice in many European countries in the middle ages but eventually has died out there. However I returned for a quick trip recently and based upon the incredibly large number of ugly and obese young woman I observed in London, I would not be too surprised if eventually the tradition returns there as I suspect it would be the only chance these people would have of ever being asked to marry. However whereas previously it was based upon the families wealth, now it could be guaged as £s per kilogram !

Edited by gummy

Very prevelant still in many countries and was standard practice in many European countries in the middle ages but eventually has died out there. However I returned for a quick trip recently and based upon the incredibly large number of ugly and obese young woman I observed in London, I would not be too surprised if eventually the tradition returns there as I suspect it would be the only chance these people would have of ever being asked to marry. However whereas previously it was based upon the families wealth, now it could be guaged as £s per kilogram !

Quite right. I assume your gf is thai not western. Dowry is an english word and sinsod is a thai word. Different words and different meanings. Gummy is right about the history in Europe and America. It is still used in India just to mention one of countries it is still common practice.

Edited by wolfmanjack

It all depends on the background of your girl. E.g. virginity, married before, worked in a bar in her past life, age, educated or not etc.

An example: My wife educated, was 22 when we first met and got married when she was 25. She was a virgin, educated from a good Thai university, holds a degree, and now works for Thai Airways. She's from Rayong.

The family demanded 100,000. I paid 60,000 and she paid the remainder. Because I wasn't going to pay more than 60,000 no matter what....

These are roughly the current prices:

100,000 for an educated virgin with a degree.

60,000 for a shop girl with high school and also a virgin.

30,000-40-000 for a divorced single mother

0 for a divorced single mother (ex bargirl)

0 for a non-virgin bargirl or ex bargirl

But as previous posters have pointed out, a lot depends on the family and the girl's skills convincing her family that you can only pay an X amount as dowry.

Good luck!

Edited by Flow

Nowadays mostly symbolic and just for show... like the rings. If it's for keeps, suggest you move on and find someone of equal social standing (where more than likely, it'll be just symbolic and just for show... like the rings, dress, tuxedo, etc.).

:o

I never heard of the brides family paying the groom! sinsod and dowry are the same (thats what my gf just told me).thanks.

dowry is generally not paid to the groom but given to the bride by her parents to be used for the couple's setup. an exception is India where the bride's parents are supposed to shower not only the groom but also the groom's parents excessively with gifts and money (in some cases bringing themselves on the verge of bankruptcy).

please PM me and send 10 Baht as attachment for this valuable lesson :D

edited to anglizise german grammar :o

Edited by Dr. Naam

price for virgin bargirl?

and what the h..l is a shop girl. if this is one who mind the shop just sitting around all day with few customers , no way can she be worth just 40k baht less than educated girl.

heng they are of equal social standings, both are have nots, nothiung wrong with that of course.

Edited by blizzard

It all depends on the background of your girl. E.g. virginity, married before, worked in a bar in her past life, age, educated or not etc.

An example: My wife educated, was 22 when we first met and got married when she was 25. She was a virgin, educated from a good Thai university, holds a degree, and now works for Thai Airways. She's from Rayong.

The family demanded 100,000. I paid 60,000 and she paid the remainder. Because I wasn't going to pay more than 60,000 no matter what....

But as previous posters have pointed out, a lot depends on the family and the girl's skills convincing her family that you can only pay an X amount as dowry.

Good luck!

What a load of rubbish..

Where did you get the info if your wife is educated and works for an airline... :o

and what the h..l is a shop girl. if this is one who mind the shop just sitting around all day with few customers , no way can she be worth just 40k baht less than educated girl.

and what is the breakdown for a married, child-less, bargirl with a degree that wants you as a sammi-noi?

Thanks!!

What's typical depreciation like? For example someone starts out as an educated virgin with a degree, and she's 18 years old. Then in 10 years time, what kind of depreciation should I take into account? What if she breaks 30?

BTW I think upon marriage (& divorce) the price immediately goes down to 0. Can't sell the same goods twice.

200,000 is too much. Maybe 100,000 (99,999 for luck). Has your girlfriend and her family agreed that the sinsod is merely for show at the wedding and will be returned to you after the wedding? If the family is keeping it, does that release you from any further "maintenance" payments to the family in the future? If it does, then it's probably a bargain.

Beware of trusting your gf more than Google. Or a dictionary.

good one chanchao. gave me a good chuckle when i needed it.

Edited by wolfmanjack

Beware of trusting your gf more than Google. Or a dictionary.

good one chanchao. gave me a good chuckle when i needed it.

i never paid a thing to the parents just reception and ring clothes ,been paying ever since though :o

Thanks!!

What's typical depreciation like? For example someone starts out as an educated virgin with a degree, and she's 18 years old. Then in 10 years time, what kind of depreciation should I take into account? What if she breaks 30?

BTW I think upon marriage (& divorce) the price immediately goes down to 0. Can't sell the same goods twice.

Wow 2 funny posts in a row.

There is a girl in my village that is on her 4th marriage. Her family got sinsod every time. I couldn't believe it. My brother in law says it is because she is so beautiful. I don't see that either. She is nothing special in my opinion then again i am not thai.

fackinell,

you certainly have this whole sinsot thing sussed. you got the bluebook on a slightly soiled katoey there too?

pretty good argument to buy used.

MODS, can we make this one a sticky?

Edited by t.s

Of course when it's time to collect sin sod for my own daughter the price will be no less than 2 million baht (adjusted to future inflation). I'm already keeping the receipts for all the Similac/Nestle formula milk she drinks so I can clearly demonstrate the cost that went into her. I'm also keeping a detailed service history from vaccinations at the hospital.

Then shortly before her 18th birthday I'll formally release her on E-Bay to start the bidding.

It already IS a sticky! (check near the top of the general section)... That shows just how many people even SEE the stickies, let alone read them. :o

Edited by chanchao

and what is the breakdown for a married, child-less, bargirl with a degree that wants you as a sammi-noi?

Thanks!!

fackinell,

you certainly have this whole sinsot thing sussed. you got the bluebook on a slightly soiled katoey there too?

pretty good argument to buy used.

:o:D :D

funny stuff...

Of course when it's time to collect sin sod for my own daughter the price will be no less than 2 million baht (adjusted to future inflation). I'm already keeping the receipts for all the Similac/Nestle formula milk she drinks so I can clearly demonstrate the cost that went into her. I'm also keeping a detailed service history from vaccinations at the hospital.

Then shortly before her 18th birthday I'll formally release her on E-Bay to start the bidding.

Are you going to enter her into some beauty contests to increase her value ??

You might want to wait until she graduates from Uni. It will increase the price.

Me. I'm going to get me a shotgun and try to keep all the guys away until she is 22. Then have the highest bidder scenario.

It already IS a sticky! (check near the top of the general section)... That shows just how many people even SEE the stickies, let alone read them. :o

Here is a link... just in case eyesight is a problem.

It already IS a sticky! (check near the top of the general section)... That shows just how many people even SEE the stickies, let alone read them. :D

:o... :D

just keep repeating... "It's Friday.... It's Friday.... Thank God It's Friday"

It already IS a sticky! (check near the top of the general section)... That shows just how many people even SEE the stickies, let alone read them. :D

:o... :D

just keep repeating... "It's Friday.... It's Friday.... Thank God It's Friday"

I have been... all day John.

:D