Foreigners caught drink driving forced to teach English to probation officials on Koh Samui

webfact

9 hours ago, Forrests Father said:

Germans teaching English to Thais?

please:
Don’t mention the war and don’t let Immigration arrest them for working without permit.

My name is Peter Bratwurst.

I am the best English speaker weit und breit.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Zatoichi said:

First thing I'd teach them is the word "Drunk" it's Drunk Driving, when you're inebriated you're DRUNK, they got caught driving while drunk. Drink driving sounds like something a bar girl would say.

Read he first line of the link , then you might understand.

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Read he first line of the link , then you might understand.

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving

Still sounds silly, they weren't driving while drink. They weren't dink from downing a 5th of Red Label, they were drunk. Even in the article they continue to use the word drunk. Just sounds dumb and makes less sense is all I'm saying. Like how British pronounce Lieutenant like it's spelled Leftenant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatoichi said:

Still sounds silly, they weren't driving while drink. They weren't dink from downing a 5th of Red Label, they were drunk. Even in the article they continue to use the word drunk. Just sounds dumb and makes less sense is all I'm saying. Like how British pronounce Lieutenant like it's spelled Leftenant.

Have you been drinking?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is what truly worries me when i read some of the comments on here.......  Villages are missing their main source of entertainment........  Hey, Thailand used to be a fun country and it was where most of us fled to to get away from miserable self righteous so and so's..............

• Like 1

Completing my certificate to teach English abroad.  Thailand is on my list.  If I can't get a paying job, I guess I know what to do to get a chance to teach even if unpaid. I would love to teach business English to a board of women anytime!

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So the Thai that get caught drink and driving ? Will they be teaching Thai to foreigners ?? I geuss the foreigners on Samui will be speaking flewent Thai soon . 

You mean the flewent lingo they speak in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?

2 hours ago, Zatoichi said:

First thing I'd teach them is the word "Drunk" it's Drunk Driving, when you're inebriated you're DRUNK, they got caught driving while drunk. Drink driving sounds like something a bar girl would say.

Drink driving is a compound noun, with the noun "drink" having an adjectival function without being an actual adjective. It is a common term used in the UK and also NZ/Oz / ZA. It is used in legal contexts as well. Maybe one day there will be a similar term describing the use of a mobile phone whilst driving a motor vehicle etc.  Language evolves. Prescriptive or descriptive approach. Ca c'est la question.

Edited by desert dueller
syntax
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Georgehn said:

Completing my certificate to teach English abroad.  Thailand is on my list.  If I can't get a paying job, I guess I know what to do to get a chance to teach even if unpaid. I would love to teach business English to a board of women anytime!

Don't mention your real preferences and intentions and motivations in your job interview. 

44 minutes ago, Georgehn said:

oh wow just great a teacher who cant wait to sneak in some cheesy sexual remarks to his female students and daydreaming they will give him the sexual phantasy of his life. Please teach at schools as a profesional without sexual harasment, keep that adult stuff for the local bar hookers.

To me it seems like a perfectly reasonable idea for community service. Well done Thailand for neither belittling the seriousness of the offence or the effectiveness of the punishment. And why shouldn't a German guy be capable of teaching English? 

There is so much wrong with this, it's hard to know where to begin. I was asked by a senior teacher at a high school here to teach English. I'm retired, on a retired visa and extensions. I was asked by the head boy in the village to do the same for the kids. I'm English, been instructing technical English for non native English speakers for many years, but not qualified here. Liable for deportation if I do.I

How is this permitted? By education department, Labour ministry, immigration, police, courts, probation? 

This case, in and of itself is a travesty. A fine, prison, is the punishment. Treat foreigners different to Thais? A German, teaching English, a language he is 'comfortable with' . Has there been testing of his language ability, IELTS comfirmation, TEFL qualifications? 

Wow....

23 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

There is so much wrong with this, it's hard to know where to begin. I was asked by a senior teacher at a high school here to teach English. I'm retired, on a retired visa and extensions. I was asked by the head boy in the village to do the same for the kids. I'm English, been instructing technical English for non native English speakers for many years, but not qualified here. Liable for deportation if I do.I

How is this permitted? By education department, Labour ministry, immigration, police, courts, probation? 

This case, in and of itself is a travesty. A fine, prison, is the punishment. Treat foreigners different to Thais? A German, teaching English, a language he is 'comfortable with' . Has there been testing of his language ability, IELTS comfirmation, TEFL qualifications? 

Wow....

And in a perfect world, there is no unemployment.

Everyone obeys every law.

There is no murder, rape, kiddy diddling etc.

However, on a small island, in the the Gulf of Thailand, we just get on with life under Covid as best we can.

Chill out - island living.

PS I have worked with many Germans, over more than forty years. A lot of them speak better, correct English than some of my compatriots.

Stop the prejudice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

....and the highest death rate in the world....see a connection?

Really???

Are you talking total traffic accident deaths?     #1 = China 261,367  / #10 Thailand 22,491 

or traffic accident deaths per 100,000 people?   #1 = Liberia 35.9  / #5 = Thailand  32.7 

or traffic accident deaths per 100,000 vehicle?  #1 = Somalia 6,532.5  /  #92 = Thailand  60.2

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

Good idea to use retired, and other, foreigners to teach the government staff some English. However, it's almost impossible for a retired to volunteer for almost anything without complicated paperwork and/or work permit – perhaps I should begin to drink, before I'm driving...????

It is something what I write since many years. There is so much useful potential to help developing the locals if they were a bit less proud on themselves. So many elder professionals in retirement in Thailand. They don't take someone job away. Both could win from the situation if the government would allow that just little work.

This is not only teaching English to some officials. 

Ok, also for me as German funny, but why not if you passed the TOEFL

There are so many other handyman skills,  IT, Process Automation and other technologies. This is an unpayable Treasure which the Government still kick away.

My Thai-Friends appreciate if I give my concerns for work. I also explain them why it should be done better different.

This not looking from up to down. It is sometimes dangerous what guys do here, especially with electric.

• Like 1