Foreigners caught drink driving forced to teach English to probation officials on Koh Samui

webfact

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I would rather they were thrown out of the country.............and permanently barred from re-entry.

That would entail Thailand having a cedible rule of law, ain't gonna happen any time soon.????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, J Town said:

There is a fundamental problem as illustrated below:

wawa.jpg

That's how Londoners say it, apparent from the background????

In  my time in Thailand I was struck by the vast array of English accents that are taught to Thai school kids. Noo Joisey, broad-Australian, broad-Ulster, Liverpool, Johannesberg, Birmingham etc, etc........

Many years ago I was speaking to a Thai lady who had spent many years living in the UK. She could speak with all the British accents very well, very funny!!????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1Gringo said:

if they are British, this would be a huge mistake mostly because the Brits no longer have a grammar.  for instance, drink is a noun or a verb.  it is NEVER an adjective.

Was they sat or was they stood?

27 minutes ago, robsamui said:

AT LAST!

The Thais have found a way to use "dirty farangs" to help them with their shockingly-poor English-language skills . . . without losing face.

For decades this has been one of the fundamentally-ludicrous stumbling blocks of 'Thainess', even to the point that their certified Thai teachers of English in schools cant speak or manage English, themselves

And, yes, having a European teach English is far better than having a Britisher teach it - the 'English Language' hasn't been taught as a subject in English schools since the National Curriculum was introduced in 1989 . . . 'foreigners' are usually compelled to learn it at school (or even pay to learn it privately) and have a far more perceptive understanding of its structure and usage (and pronunciation!)

English language skills are better in Cambodia than they are in Thailand.

1 hour ago, 1Gringo said:

if they are British, this would be a huge mistake mostly because the Brits no longer have a grammar.  for instance, drink is a noun or a verb.  it is NEVER an adjective.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. What is BRITS NO LONGER HAVE A GRAMMER????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

On the basis that they’re bringing into disrepute the high standards of driving here..? ????‍♂️ 

I think a drunk Farang driver is safer than average Somchai from what I’ve observed!

You are right, but you can't throw Thais out of their own country.........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

<deleted> !! Obviously drink driving is at the bottom of concerns there . Wonder how the several people killed by foreigners on samui who were drunk feel about that . Oh wait they can’t as they are dead !! 

Well  I guess there are several Tens of THOUSANDS of relatives of people killed by drunk Thais with their own thoughts as a comparison

3 hours ago, mikebike said:

Surelynot, they broke a law. Yes there is the potential for ANYONE behind the wheel to kill someone, and nobody is denying that d-ds can kill, but the peeps sent to teach English are not killers, they are traffic-law violators...

Is this somehow personal for you?

People who drink and drive are selfish people. Endangering others for their own comfort. Deportation should be mandatory if it happens again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, austhai said:

Wonder if they change them to a voluntary visa to make it legal for them to teach. Lol

I'm afraid not.  I think the plan is to get the foreigners to teach, and on the last lesson the police will appear and arrest them for working without a work permit.  They will then be deported for good.

It's a brilliant plan to squeeze the last drop out of an old farang.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

Seems everyone is happy with this idea, so why the negativity?

The Chief forcing foreign people to commit a crime in exchange to commute an alleged crime, no work permit and/or violation of visa?

Why not set the accused (they have not been convicted) to mowing lawns, house cleaning, tutor children, etc. 

The Rule of Law is not about Let's Make A Deal.

3 hours ago, 1Gringo said:

'Have a grammar?????

5 minutes ago, thhMan said:

Words fail me ????

25 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

As an ex Probation Officer (some 36 years) I dispute that anyone who gets behind the wheel or drives a motorcycle under the influence of alcohol or drugs is just a traffic law violator! They are out of control and in charge of a lethal weapon which has the potential to kill innocent people, just as if you gave them a gun or a knife! The Thai penalties for drink driving need to be toughened up as do the penalties for driving without a licence! 

So where does put the majority of Thai people?

Possibly 50% unlicenced and 50% of them DIU.

Alcohol or other.

5 hours ago, austhai said:

Wonder if they change them to a voluntary visa to make it legal for them to teach. Lol

In the ultimate of irony if would be funny if they were busted by Immigration and MOL for teaching without work permits or the proper visa.