Chiang Mai: All entertainment shut for 7 days - no alcohol in restaurants as new variant hits North

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Covid-19 authorities in Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand have ordered that no restaurants of any kind can serve alcohol from today for seven days, reported Sanook.

All entertainment venues, such as massage parlors, pubs, bars and karaoke are all ordered shut from today for seven days. 

The new variant of Covid-19 (called SARS-CoV-2) has been detected in seven nightclubs where staff have tested positive to the virus. 

Anyone who has visited the seven establishments in the period of March 28th to April 4th should quarantine themselves for 14 days and check symptoms.

If they display symptoms they should immediately go for medical help. 

The clubs are:

1. Warm Up Cafe

2. Tha Chang Cafe

3. Infinity Club

4. Ground

5. Living Machine 

6. DC and 

7. Consol's Garden. 

Any places that were open yesterday have been ordered to send lists of customers to the Covid-19 authorities for action. 

No gatherings of more than 200 people are being allowed in the priovince at all.

Any visitors to Chiang Mai from five provinces of greatest risk must quarantine at home or in their hotel for 14 days.

The provinces are: Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi and Pathum Thani. 

A field hospital is being set up at an international meeting center.

The number of Covid cases increased by 36 yesterday to 47 with at least eight brought in from outside to entertainment venues. 

The orders were announced yesterday by deputy provincial governor Wiraphan Dee-orn. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-09

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Still, bad news for Songkran,  surprised they haven't just cancelled the event.

People travelling all over the country (by bus) isn't the wisest move at this point  in time.

That would basically require another lockdown that they are not doing-honest. At least until the ptb have had their Songkran holidays!????

47 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

I don't  drink, but this seems stupid. What is the link between Covid 19 and booze consumption with dinner?

Domestic Violence I presume , during curfews. Hold get out of hand and people are ignorant on the drink and let precautions blow in the wind 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow.  I will have to cancel my trip to Bangkok.  Richard Barrow reports Chiang Mai alone had 146 cases(<deleted>).  These numbers look like last year.  "Lockdown"?  I hope not.  

Scary!

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The link is with bars/clubs shut the drinking fraternity will seek-out restaurants to drink instead.

A little lateral thinking goes a long way.

Not being a boozer my "lateral think king" is not aimed towards sidestepping the regs.

Absolute limit of two drinks with a meal would be more productive, I think.

• Like 1

Jeez, it never ends does it. Typically the ban on alcohol is something to monitor.

People drink alcohol and have fun and round goes the gossip about Covid conspiracies et all. People get a little fresh and might get upset about the restrictions and express they want freedom. OMG, freedom?? that is not the way we elite want it directed; we want slaves.

Closing entertainment venues is a sign of restriction of freedom. Get informed, do your own research.

9 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Not being a boozer my "lateral think king" is not aimed towards sidestepping the regs.

Absolute limit of two drinks with a meal would be more productive, I think.

You'd need to define 'meal'.

Does a saucer of peanuts count?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The link is with bars/clubs shut the drinking fraternity will seek-out restaurants to drink instead.

A little lateral thinking goes a long way.

They tried that the last time in Phuket, the police where soon onto that

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

I don't  drink, but this seems stupid. What is the link between Covid 19 and booze consumption with dinner?

I dont think there is a link, their way of thinking is if people get full of drink they become irresponsible and let their guard down

• Like 2

Get ready for a much longer close down. A friend who runs a bar in CM expects closure until at least the end of April and perhaps restrictions on the general sale of alcohol like this time last year. The figure of 186 new cases for Friday is worse than the fugure for the whole of April last year so the powers that be will feel impelled to look strong. But the situation is already out of control and the lax vaccination programme has left Thailand at the mercy of a fast mutating virus & with no defences available to the general population. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:21 AM, webfact said:

Covid-19 authorities in Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand have ordered that no restaurants of any kind can serve alcohol from today for seven days, reported

Explain the logic to me that says that it's ok to eat dinner, but if you have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner then your certain to contract Covid??? 

There are a certain sub-class of Thai elites whom I'm sure would like to implement permanent Prohibition.  This "emergency" simply gives them the excuse to exercise their power to impose "morality" on the masses. 
And whats the difference between getting a massage and getting a beauty treatment and an hair-dew.  Both a hair dresser and a masseuse are in equally close proximity to their clients.  It beggars belief.  The elite don't want the commoners to feel good.  If it makes you feel good, they will ban it whenever and however they can. 

• Sad 1