Frozen British Pensioners

11 minutes ago, sirwilly said:

They will catch you eventually and make you pay it back by reducing your  pension  for as many years as it takes  they caught me after 8 years ,they wanted to see me in person and take proof of bills ect of   my address in the uk  . this of course i could not do / so be warned

I can do that. No worries for me, I'm smarter than them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, KarenBravo said:

This rule has been around for decades and each government has not changed this policy and neither will the present one. They cite expense and that retiring overseas is a personal decision.

I've seen many campaigns over the years on Thaivisa to write letters and petitions to MPs.

That you are doing this in the year 2021 just shows that this issue belongs to St. Jude.

They seem to take it personally. If you want to live anywhere other than the UK you're finished as far as our govt are concerned. Doesn't matter what you've done in the past in the country's service, or how much you've paid (and are still paying in my case) into its coffers. They don't have any qualms though about taking a large chunk of your pension every month in tax. I suppose someone has to suffer to fund the great unwashed and others that we have in the UK these days.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sirwilly said:

They will catch you eventually and make you pay it back by reducing your  pension  for as many years as it takes  they caught me after 8 years ,they wanted to see me in person and take proof of bills ect of   my address in the uk  . this of course i could not do / so be warned

What if you were a homeless person, are homeless persons not allowed state pensions?

What if you lived with your parents (or a friend or relative), are there no pensioners living in other peoples homes?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, sirwilly said:

I also know of someone who got caught out the same way when living here.

15 hours ago, sirwilly said:

make you pay it back

Pay what back?  Are you referring to just the winter fuel allowance which you have to claim or also the pension increase?  To get the winter fuel allowance you have to "declare" that you have spent a specific two week period in the UK.  If you make that declaration when you are in fact abroad then you are actively committing fraud and it should be recovered.

9 minutes ago, fangless said:

Pay what back?  Are you referring to just the winter fuel allowance which you have to claim or also the pension increase?  To get the winter fuel allowance you have to "declare" that you have spent a specific two week period in the UK.  If you make that declaration when you are in fact abroad then you are actively committing fraud and it should be recovered.

at 200 quid a year it is not going to bankrupt anyone  (3 years)   Problem is it comes automatically with OAP,give up one,give up the other, unfrozen,cept Spain etc, but then an invite for Life cert

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

They never check addresses unless someone dobs you in.

..and if they do?...the DWP states "not all allegations of benefit fraud will be investigated"    now as a betting man I would say as a racing certainty that the OAP is up there with that remark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, izod10 said:

When people put this trash up in OAP thread it makes me wonder why they breath,"caught you after 8 years"   right  ",make you pay it all back,reduce your pension"   2000 quid is the absolute  max that can be re-claimed on most benefit fraud         , housing/job-seekers/PC/UC etc. will be different

and there is statistic that there is absolutely no benefit fraud on OAP state pension

Correct.

If you get caught just put your hands up and say that after a few years of visiting Thailand as a tourist you have decided to make it your permanent home wef from the current tax year. They are usually content to have stopped another one.....

A friend was caught out when (schoolboy error) his son moved home and no one thought to update DWP. He had been here for 6 years but said that he moved to Thailand 6 months ago, married and decided to stay here.  Pension frozen, no 'penalty'.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, izod10 said:

Problem is it comes automatically with OAP,

The £200 winter fuel allowance does NOT come automatically.  I get a letter every year to my UK address asking me to confirm that I was in the UK over a specified 2 week winter period in order to CLAIM it.  The £10 Xmas bonus is automatic.

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It will go on for many more years to come until govt UK pensions are no more, being realistic. 

Strangely enough it was one thing i liked Corbin for he said it was blatant theft and should be stopped and corrected, of course what he would have done given the power we'll never know!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Strangely enough it was one thing i liked Corbin for he said it was blatant theft and should be stopped and corrected, of course what he would have done given the power we'll never know!

If that was ever possible once Corbyn had become PM I would say when he got privy to the costs he would not unfreeze pensions.

If it were say Uk guys on pensions just in Thailand maybe but Thailand has to negotiate with UK as the Philippines govt did to make it happen.

That I believe is something Thailand does not want, they only want retirees prepared to spend 10 million on a one bed condo. ????

• Like 1
6 hours ago, izod10 said:

Just where are the DWP going to contact you?  at the address that is on record UK . never write there pointless,unless you shift address without informing/returned DWP mail

Nobody has been caught out,for 10 long years this has been shown since this thread and the following was formed,even FoI request has not shown otherwise

Frozen pit warriors get cold comfort at dire threat postings,but even them appear a dying breed,used to be dozens appearing at the very mention of unfrozen living here " arrested at returning to UK" <deleted>,they have lost 000s needlessly

But DWP did state at failed attempt to pin frozen pension on two individuals that they would not contest individual actions,but would do so at mass attempt

The only way to keep something foolproof is to keep it to one's self.

• Haha 1