Irish Passport

On 4/14/2021 at 4:13 PM, Pmbkk said:

I'm in the process of applying for an Irish passport ( first one )

My father is from Dublin ( he's now dead ), Mum is English. We didn't have his birth certificate. He'd lived in England since he was 16.

His parents moved to NZ, his brothers and sisters - and there were well into double digits - spread across the world(NZ,Oz,UK,Ireland,States).

His father's name was on his British marriage certificate, but not his Mums.

I did a bit of a free heritage search and found additional details(for my grandmothers name)

You can currently apply on-line but they are requesting you do not send documentation as they are at Level 5 and will not process any passports for this until Level 4. ( was meant to be start of April but has been delayed).

They have a very good on-line chat if you link below for any queries. If your parents are from N.I. I believe you automatically qualify as an Irish citizen - same as someone with an Irish parent/grandparent.

The process seems to be very straight forward. I'm just waiting for them to go to level-4 to submit docs. 

I, like you are looking at this as a backup plan to enable us to live in Europe very simply. You have many more immediate rights than you do if you come to the Uk. For that we're in our final stages of ILR.

If you have any questions I can tell you what I know - but the chat has been excellent in answering all my queries.

Webiste: https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

https://passportonline.dfa.ie/Apply/Passport

FYI - I believe the cost was about 80 quid for the passport - all very, very straight forward. 

2) Getting his birth certificate was straight forward - delivered to Uk within 2 weeks:

https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/get-certificates/ordering-certificates.html

FYI - it seems they are now taking the docs to process the First Irish Passports ( Webchat is open for questions)

Seems pretty straight forward - docs that need to be sent are covered in your application, however in summary.

Documents Enclosed:
•    COVER LETTER ( you get it at the end of your on-line application )
•    Identity Verification  Form – ( you get it at the end of your on-line application )
•    My original birth certificate
•    Proof of address
•    Proof of Name
•    Copy of Photo-id (certified)
•    Additional Documents:
o    My Father’s original Irish birth certificate (Dublin) - I got a copy from Dublin see above
o    My Parents’ marriage certificate 
o    My Mother’s birth certificate ( don't believe this is required )

Address:

Online Passport First Time Applications

PO Box 12986,

Balbriggan,

Co. Dublin

K32 AE72

Note: I've seen two posted but the above is the correct one confirmed by on-line chat.

Cost of application was 90 Euro

Regards

Edited by Pmbkk

On 4/14/2021 at 7:57 AM, izod10 said:

I do not see why I need marriage certificates when applying,of course this may make me a <deleted>.

Grandmother born  NI (Catholic,that might help the search),gave birth to my mother(deceased), in England,..surely that is all that is needed

There are agencies that will track and trace for a fee

I used the website https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ to get details and certificates for my mother's parents & grandparents.

Not sure if there is something similar for England.

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 8:59 AM, Pmbkk said:

FYI - it seems they are now taking the docs to process the First Irish Passports ( Webchat is open for questions)

Seems pretty straight forward - docs that need to be sent are covered in your application, however in summary.

Documents Enclosed:
•    COVER LETTER ( you get it at the end of your on-line application )
•    Identity Verification  Form – ( you get it at the end of your on-line application )
•    My original birth certificate
•    Proof of address
•    Proof of Name
•    Copy of Photo-id (certified)
•    Additional Documents:
o    My Father’s original Irish birth certificate (Dublin) - I got a copy from Dublin see above
o    My Parents’ marriage certificate 
o    My Mother’s birth certificate ( don't believe this is required )

Address:

Online Passport First Time Applications

PO Box 12986,

Balbriggan,

Co. Dublin

K32 AE72

Note: I've seen two posted but the above is the correct one confirmed by on-line chat.

Cost of application was 90 Euro

Regards

Just as a follow-up on this I received my Irish passport 23/8/21.

From them opening up etc I reckon it took around 6/7 weeks ( they would have had a backlog due to Covid closure )

All very straight forward.