Need Help Before, During And After Move

pazza

Hi guys,

I am planning to retire to Thailand (next year), I want to thank everyone for the tons of help and advice on visa’s etc :Dbut (there’s always a but).

I have just read a thread about Avoiding UK Income Tax and it has made me realise I know very little about closing shop (so to speak) and moving from the UK.

So I was wondering if the good people on this forum can help me make a list of anything I may need to do/take before, during and after my move to Thailand. (including any links on TV would help to)

I know some things may seem obvious to some (even me) :D and I know you don’t know my circumstances but the list may help somebody who is moving and not sure what to do.

I am from the UK btw so anything UK (tax etc)

I will start the list off and hope others will add to it (as I am sure they will). :bah: ( a brief explanation of the more complicated or confusing items on the list would be nice to). :D

Birth certificate

Driving license

Insurance (life and accident) (a good agent)

Thai Phrase book (for buying your first house) (joke) :o

that’s me done (now you can see why I need the list). :D

Thanks for all help given

Steve :bah:

(hope this is the correct forum)

Hi guys,

I am planning to retire to Thailand (next year), I want to thank everyone for the tons of help and advice on visa's etc :bah:but (there's always a but).

I have just read a thread about Avoiding UK Income Tax and it has made me realise I know very little about closing shop (so to speak) and moving from the UK.

So I was wondering if the good people on this forum can help me make a list of anything I may need to do/take before, during and after my move to Thailand. (including any links on TV would help to)

I know some things may seem obvious to some (even me) :D and I know you don't know my circumstances but the list may help somebody who is moving and not sure what to do.

I will start the list off and hope others will add to it (as I am sure they will). ;) ( a brief explanation of the more complicated or confusing items on the list would be nice to). :D

Birth certificate

Driving license

that's me done (now you can see why I need the list). :D

Steve :o

Lots of money!! :D

Cheers,

Soundman.

PS. Sorry but I couldn't help it! :bah:

Hi guys,

I am planning to retire to Thailand (next year), I want to thank everyone for the tons of help and advice on visa's etc but (there's always a but).

I know some things may seem obvious to some (even me) and I know you don't know my circumstances but the list may help somebody who is moving and not sure what to do.

I will start the list off and hope others will add to it (as I am sure they will). :D ( a brief explanation of the more complicated or confusing items on the list would be nice to). :D

Birth certificate

Driving license

Lots of money!! :bah:

Cheers,

Soundman.

PS. Sorry but I couldn't help it! :bah:

( hey soundman, I think you need to take more water with it lol) :D

Even though I thought I may have placed this post in the wrong forum (I thought a choice between)

Thai visas, residency and work permits Visa, visa runs, visa extensions, work permit, immigration, residency in Thailand.

AND

General topics

Topics regarding everything else not related to other forums. Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!

But I would never have thought to place it here ??????

Perhaps the purpose of the post was lost due to the TAX reference but it is a more comprehensive list of things to do, take and anticipate that I was looking for, not just financial advice.

Any chance of moving this post to one of the “above mentioned” forums, please. :D

Steve (Genuinely needing help) ;)

Hello Steve,

1) International Drivers License obtained in Great Britain for the class(s) of vehicle you wish to drive in Thailand. You will have a better and swifter experience at the Department of Land Transportation in Thailand if you have this item OBTAINED PRIOR TO MOVING TO THAILAND. See the great posts at the beginning of Motor Vehicle Forum on Thai Visa.

2) Perhaps consider working out a relationship with your bank in Great Britain that will enable you to implement S.W.I.F.T. wire transfers to your Thai Bank account via an e-mail notification to your bank in Great Britain.

3) If you are considering the possibility of registering a marriage to a Thai citizen you will have to jump through a few minor hoops that are explained on this forum. One of the items you might need would be a certified death certificate from your previous spouse if you are a widower. You might need an original copy of final divorce decree if you were previously married and divorced. These items could be requested at your Embassy.

4) Reputable Insurance is available at competitive prices in Thailand. It sure is helpful to deal with an agent who is a native English speaker. I have had great dealings (but have never met) Eric at

insurance-in-Thailand.com who has provided many types of policies for me an my Thai family for two years, even though we live "up country".

5) List of prescription medicines in English. All of the private hospitals I have purchased medication had labels in English, but spelling was not always quite what I had purchased in California.

6) Until you obtain and are comfortable with a Thai Bank issued credit card, you might be using your credit card issued in Great Britain. Some American banks (but not all) tack on a 1% fee, some have better exchange rates. Visa has been better than master card for me. Either way be sure to notify your credit card that you will be making purchases in Thailand for X number of months and be sure to write down the "International numbers" of any financial institutions you might ever need to contact.

I hope that this is of help in your move to Thailand.

Kamala Bob

Hello Steve,

1) International Drivers License obtained in Great Britain for the class(s) of vehicle you wish to drive in Thailand. You will have a better and swifter experience at the Department of Land Transportation in Thailand if you have this item OBTAINED PRIOR TO MOVING TO THAILAND. See the great posts at the beginning of Motor Vehicle Forum on Thai Visa.

2) Perhaps consider working out a relationship with your bank in Great Britain that will enable you to implement S.W.I.F.T. wire transfers to your Thai Bank account via an e-mail notification to your bank in Great Britain.

3) If you are considering the possibility of registering a marriage to a Thai citizen you will have to jump through a few minor hoops that are explained on this forum. One of the items you might need would be a certified death certificate from your previous spouse if you are a widower. You might need an original copy of final divorce decree if you were previously married and divorced. These items could be requested at your Embassy.

4) Reputable Insurance is available at competitive prices in Thailand. It sure is helpful to deal with an agent who is a native English speaker. I have had great dealings (but have never met) Eric at

insurance-in-Thailand.com who has provided many types of policies for me an my Thai family for two years, even though we live "up country".

5) List of prescription medicines in English. All of the private hospitals I have purchased medication had labels in English, but spelling was not always quite what I had purchased in California.

6) Until you obtain and are comfortable with a Thai Bank issued credit card, you might be using your credit card issued in Great Britain. Some American banks (but not all) tack on a 1% fee, some have better exchange rates. Visa has been better than master card for me. Either way be sure to notify your credit card that you will be making purchases in Thailand for X number of months and be sure to write down the "International numbers" of any financial institutions you might ever need to contact.

Kamala Bob

1) The IDP only lasts for (I think) 1 year, what happens then (can I get a Thai driving licence).

2) I am with the NationWide bank in the UK who I believe do large money transfers free of charge (good for me).

3) I am divorced and do plan on marrying my Thai g/f any more info on this would help me (please).

4) I am looking at insurance as we speak (with E-Insure-Thailand, any reports please).

5) Thanks will do.

6) Thanks again.

Thanks Kamala Bob, I hope I get more like this.

Hello Steve,

Kamala Bob

1) The IDP only lasts for (I think) 1 year, what happens then (can I get a Thai driving licence).

2) I am with the NationWide bank in the UK who I believe do large money transfers free of charge (good for me).

3) I am divorced and do plan on marrying my Thai g/f any more info on this would help me (please).

4) I am looking at insurance as we speak (with E-Insure-Thailand, any reports please).

5) Thanks will do.

6) Thanks again.

Thanks Kamala Bob, I hope I get more like this.

Hi Steve

A couple of points..........

IDP will allow you to get a Thai licence for 1 year without having to take a driving test. This can then be renewed for a further 5 years thereafter.

If you have passed your motorcycle test in the UK you will get 2 licences in Thailand, 1 for bike + 1 for car both operate on the 1 year then 5 years basis.

A Nationwide Flexaccount allows you to make withdrawals via an ATM at no charge plus a competitive ROE However if you want to make a bank transfer from UK to a Thai bank then a fee is charged (more expensive than high street bank).

I have found the Nationwide credit card to have the most favourable Rate Of Exchange conversion.

Not sure of your age but if receiving a pension a letter stating your entitlement will be needed at some stage.

Once married you will then need to fill out a statement of wishes for a widows benefit on your pension, assuming you have a pension other than state pension.

Hope this helps.

TBWG :D

Hi Steve

A couple of points..........

IDP will allow you to get a Thai licence for 1 year without having to take a driving test. This can then be renewed for a further 5 years thereafter. (good to know)

If you have passed your motorcycle test in the UK you will get 2 licences in Thailand, 1 for bike + 1 for car both operate on the 1 year then 5 years basis. (I only have the CBT (like a beginners licence) (can I do a test in Thailand)

A Nationwide Flexaccount allows you to make withdrawals via an ATM at no charge plus a competitive ROE However if you want to make a bank transfer from UK to a Thai bank then a fee is charged (more expensive than high street bank). ( does that mean more expensive than a swift transfer)

I have found the Nationwide credit card to have the most favourable Rate Of Exchange conversion.

Not sure of your age but if receiving a pension a letter stating your entitlement will be needed at some stage. (I am 52 and plan, if all else fails on going the 800,000baht in bank route (not got a pension worth bothering with).

Once married you will then need to fill out a statement of wishes for a widows benefit on your pension, assuming you have a pension other than state pension. (I assume I do this in the UK before moving over)

Hope this helps.

TBWG :o

Thanks guys,

On a retirement visa would I be able to own a car or motorcycle.

Can I take a test for the motorbike (and is it difficult).

How do I insure the vehicles.

On the marriage part I have been married twice (I like wedding cake) :o do I need to show both decree absolute's or just the last one.

Thanks again

Steve :D

Yes, you can own a car or motorcycle.

There are several overseas insurance companies in Thailand, eg Aviva.

The issuing of IDP's in the UK is sometimes rather slack.

They will stamp all the vehicle types.............

Then you could get a motorcycle license in Thailand without the necessity for a test. :o

You do need health insurance, not just accident. I have a policy under American Express in the UK.

I have never needed my birth certificate, the passport is much more important.

I know it is a long way in the past, but it may be worth packing any academic certificates.

You never know who you will meet and you may end up working, albeit in a consultant position,

and the certs will help with the WP application.

Unless you have lived overseas before, I would not sell up property in the UK.

Much better to rent out and use the income to rent in Thailand.

The expat life is not for everyone, and renting allows for an easy move if required.

You will be liable for UK tax on your rental income, but will have your personal allowance to offset it.

Other investment funds should be moved offshore.

A Nationwide Flexaccount allows you to make withdrawals via an ATM at no charge plus a competitive ROE However if you want to make a bank transfer from UK to a Thai bank then a fee is charged (more expensive than high street bank). ( does that mean more expensive than a swift transfer)

Hi Steve,

Take a look at the thread on the following link - regarding use of the Nationwide Debit Card for withdrawing large amounts inside a Thai bank (i.e. as opposed to using the bank's ATM). The procedure doesn't seem to be widely known/used - but it does work and can thus save you the transfer (SWIFT etc) charges.................

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...112630&st=0 (post #13 onwards)

My only other comment is to reinforce one that has already been made: if at all possible, set yourself up to get rental income from your UK property and do not rush to sell it until you are 100% sure that that's what you want/need to do. Until that point, you should be able to rent happily in Thailand....

Good luck.

(another) Steve

Obvious I know, but a VISA would be a smart move :o

Get a multi entry non-o from Hull on the grounds of visiting friends and family, good for 15 months in the Kingdom with correct timing (needs 90 day border runs). Gives you some breathing space to get sorted, you can get a work permit against this visa and also extend either on marriage or retirement grounds.

Nationwide is good, but make sure you have a working UK address as if any mail is returned they freeze your account (personal experience). Note that I was not permitted by NW to have a Thai postal address but others have indicated no difficulty in getting NW to send stuff to Thailand (go figure).

Definately get an IDP so you can easily get a car licence without a test, the motorcycle test is a piece of cake (assuming you don't fall off) so don't worry if you've not got a UK bike licence.

Edited by Crossy

Hi guys,

I am planning to retire to Thailand (next year), I want to thank everyone for the tons of help and advice on visa's etc :Dbut (there's always a but).

I know some things may seem obvious to some (even me) :D and I know you don't know my circumstances but the list may help somebody who is moving and not sure what to do.

I will start the list off and hope others will add to it (as I am sure they will). :bah: ( a brief explanation of the more complicated or confusing items on the list would be nice to). :D

Birth certificate

Driving license

Steve :bah:

Get your mum to make you a packed lunch too

Not very helpful just saying "packed lunch" :o what about a list of fillings, brown or white bread, apple or orange etc, :D

Anyway I have money for a Big Mac. :D

Keep it up guys, some really helpful stuff here.

Steve :D:D:bah: