Application Fees For Visa (k3)

My wife has her interview on 15 June and we pretty much have everything ready. I understand that we have to pay a $45 security surcharge fee at the embassy at the day of the interview and a $100 non-immigrant visa fee at the Thai Post office in Bangkok. But are we to do that before the embassy in which we will get a stamp from the thai post office which we present to the U.S. embassy? I ask this as this will require us to head to Bangkok a few days ahead of the scheduled interview to complete this task...which means hotel room headaches, ect. Also, are we required to pay the $375 processing fee for whatever the "Diversity Visa Program" is? How do I know that it pertains to us? I guess Diversity isn't free.

I dont know the answer to your question, but i am going through the k3 process as well.

I was wondering when you started the application process? i began filing in febuary, but do not have an interview date just yet.

good luck with your application!

There is a Thai Post Office on Sukhumvit Road, I believe between Soi 4 and 6. Pretty much what you need to do is buy a "Money Order" type thingy. The post office will know what you need. Have your wife do all the talking if you do not speak Thai.

After the purchase, you will receive a receipt. That receipt needs to be taken to the Embassy on the day of your interview. Have you made any other payments towards the visa? In my case I had (in the US; about $350 or so) and therefore the day my wife had her interview I did not have to shell out any more money.

The visa section has an email address you can send your queries to. I wish I could recollect the address. If you do not already have it I think if you search TV you'll find it.

My wife has her interview on 15 June and we pretty much have everything ready. I understand that we have to pay a $45 security surcharge fee at the embassy at the day of the interview and a $100 non-immigrant visa fee at the Thai Post office in Bangkok. But are we to do that before the embassy in which we will get a stamp from the thai post office which we present to the U.S. embassy? I ask this as this will require us to head to Bangkok a few days ahead of the scheduled interview to complete this task...which means hotel room headaches, ect. Also, are we required to pay the $375 processing fee for whatever the "Diversity Visa Program" is? How do I know that it pertains to us? I guess Diversity isn't free.

[/quote

the fee can be paid at many post offices throughout thailand - i just finished doing this at the Chonburi post office - its called "Pay at Post" - the link will give you a list of where this can be done http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/services/visa/NIVChecklist.pdf

I dont know the answer to your question, but i am going through the k3 process as well.

I was wondering when you started the application process? i began filing in febuary, but do not have an interview date just yet.

good luck with your application!

We handed in the I-129 and G-325 papers to the USCIS in Bangkok at the beginning of April, around the sixth I think. I was told that doing it this way would only take about three months or so. Are you doing yours here in Thailand or by post in the U.S.?

There is a Thai Post Office on Sukhumvit Road, I believe between Soi 4 and 6. Pretty much what you need to do is buy a "Money Order" type thingy. The post office will know what you need. Have your wife do all the talking if you do not speak Thai.

After the purchase, you will receive a receipt. That receipt needs to be taken to the Embassy on the day of your interview. Have you made any other payments towards the visa? In my case I had (in the US; about $350 or so) and therefore the day my wife had her interview I did not have to shell out any more money.

The visa section has an email address you can send your queries to. I wish I could recollect the address. If you do not already have it I think if you search TV you'll find it.

No, we need to may the visa payment at the day of her interview or the next day when she picks up the visa. I already paid for the I-129 and the G-325 at the USCIS in Bangkok and I think that is why I shaved off a few months of waiting time. My question is if she is doing a K3 visa and would be granted a permenant residence status than do we still have to go and get the "non-immigrant visa" fee stamped at the thai post office. It is a costly procedure that is for sure.

My understanding of the requirement was that you have to have the reciept with you the day of the interview. The packet also said it could only be paied at post offices in BKK so we went up for the day a week before. Given the potential problems if she is denied at the interview I decided it was important to to give them the dedail they apprently seek.

Also don't assume you are finished with it when you get the visa. They will interrigate her at the US Customs entry point and then you have to go through the perminant residence application process which IMO is more of a pain than the visa was.

Good Luck.

My understanding of the requirement was that you have to have the reciept with you the day of the interview. The packet also said it could only be paied at post offices in BKK so we went up for the day a week before. Given the potential problems if she is denied at the interview I decided it was important to to give them the dedail they apprently seek.

Also don't assume you are finished with it when you get the visa. They will interrigate her at the US Customs entry point and then you have to go through the perminant residence application process which IMO is more of a pain than the visa was.

Good Luck.

This is the answer I got from the embassy people about the immigrat fe:

Dear Sir,

The interview appointment on 15-JUN-2007 at 07:00 am is for a CR-1 visa. The applicant does not have to pay the visa processing fee $100 at the Thai post office. The fee is for K visas and other non immigrant visas.

For CR-1 visa, the applicant is subject to pay the immigrant visa processing fee and security surcharge fee in total of $380. The fee can be paid at the U.S. Embassy on the interview date. However, if you have already paid this fee with the USCIS office already, the applicant does not have to pay this fee again.

This opens a whole new can of worms as what is the heck is a CR-1 Visa?!?!?! I thought we were working on a K3 Visa?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats very good news for you! GREAT news. The CR1 visa is the I-130 application... this will save you well over $1,000 dollars in later fees because she will get a green card right away.

The ONLY benefit of a K3 visa is that it is faster than an CR1. The CR1 is way better to have in every other respect. Once you get out you are preetty much done with the USCIS for another 10 years. With the K3 you are looking at another 2 years of paperwork and fees.

Furhtermore, I can only presume that you already paid the application fee for the I-130, so you probably only have to pay $45. You had to file the I-130 before you were allowed to file the I-129f...