Blood donations urged as COVID spurs shortage

webfact

1619154666_1-org.jpg

A donor gives blood at the mobile donations clinic at the Tesco Lotus shopping mall on the bypass road. Photo: PRBC

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The Phuket Regional Blood Centre (PRBC) is calling for Thais and foreigners to donate blood with a campaign to give a pack of rice to each donor as the current outbreak of COVID-19 has led to a shortage of blood stocks at Phuket hospitals.

The PRBC explained that people who come to donate blood at its center located on Rattanakosin 200 Pi Rd in Phuket Town from today (Apr 23) until next Tuesday (Apr 27) will receive a 1kg bag of rice. 

However, the number of packs of rice to be given away is limited, the PRBC noted.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/blood-donations-urged-as-covid-spurs-shortage-79777.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-04-23

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Phuket Regional Blood Centre (PRBC) is calling for Thais and foreigners to donate blood with a campaign to give a pack of rice to each donor as the current outbreak of COVID-19 has led to a shortage of blood stocks at Phuket hospitals

will they be paying us 500 baht each for our trouble?

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: The Phuket Regional Blood Centre (PRBC) is calling for Thais and foreigners to donate blood with a campaign to give a pack of rice to each donor as the current outbreak of COVID-19 has led to a shortage of blood stocks at Phuket hospitals.

I would but it costs me 500 baht to get in.

• Like 1

I tried giving blood once in Thailand, but was rejected as over 59 years old. Also UK nationals may still be banned from donating due to BSE. If Thailand wants more blood, change the outdated donation rules.

• Like 1

I went today to the Phuket Regional Blood Centre (located at the Phuket Red Cross Centre like others have correctly stated) with the intention to donate my blood, ................................... and I was turned away !!

Reason : I was staying in France from 1981 to 1987.

Explanation : I was disqualified under Criterion #36 (see Blood Donor Questionnaire here attached) :

"From 1980 through 2001, did you spend time that adds up to 5 years or more in France or Ireland ?"

Before one can be authorized to donate blood, there are 3 forms to fill in :

• Blood Donation Application Form

• Blood Donor Questionnaire

• Self-screening to assess the risks of COVID-19 virus transmission

While at the Blood Centre, I scanned those three forms and I have attached them here. Taking a look at these forms in advance could be useful to any future blood donor candidate in order to evaluate if he/she might qualify or not.

In addition to Criterion #36, I would also like to attract attention to Criterion # 35 in the Blood Donor Questionnaire :

"From 1980 through 1996, did you spend time that adds up to 3 months or more in the United Kingdom [...] ?"

Obviously, answering 'Yes' to this criterion (and, in fact to any criterion from #16 to #36) will disqualify you from donating blood. I was told that the reason for criteria #35 and #36 is related to Mad Cow Disease issues.

For those who would question about the age limit for donating blood in Thailand, the answer is in the Blood Donation Application Form, at the Donor Age Limit section.

Although these forms were submitted to me at the Phuket Regional Blood Centre, they come from the National Blood Centre (under the Thai Red Cross Society), so I presume that the procedure and criteria to qualify to be a blood donor might be the same nationwide.

My impression of the Phuket Regional Blood Centre is that it is a neat and clean place. While over there, I was met by courteous and (apparently) competent English speaking medical staff who gave me explanations about the blood donating process. I was told that the procedure takes approximately 15 minutes. I saw 3 people sitting on long chairs while donating their blood and 2 others apparently waiting for their turn. There were a few more empty chairs for blood donors. Approximately 10 people (including the medics) altogether in the air-conditioned room. Not crowded at all. Obviously all wearing masks.

Although I was disqualified from donating blood because of the reason stated above, I have a positive impression of the Phuket Regional Blood Centre. In view of the current Covid-19 situation, I feel that visiting this centre is as safe, if not safer than going to a shopping mall. I would like to encourage anyone who thinks he/she may qualify to go to the Blood Centre. Especially since we have been informed that there is currently a nationwide shortage of blood in Thailand. Obviously, donating blood is an act of good citizenship and, most importantly, it saves lives !

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg