My school is sending me to a hospital - seems the last place I want to go right now!

I may have developed a serious disease (like elehpantitis) since my visit last year but I'm pretty sure I'm good. Work permit time and more ridiculous procedures - am I being forced to jump through silly hoops (at expense) again in a time that only one disease seems pertinent. Am I being thrown into a hornets' nest by sitting in a waiting room of coughers.  Yikes.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hospitals are not full of coughing people in their waiting rooms. Least of all in the sections that do physical check ups.

if anything they are emptier than usual.

And no need to go to a hospital for a work permit physical, clinics can do them. Where in Thailand are you?

Chiang Mai - I guess my coughing people reference was more a precautionary concern to my point of having to go to one - I hope you are right. I feel I am wasting the time of our blessed frontline with nonsense. I am bound to the hospital as our school has a business account with them.

1 hour ago, Madgee said:

Disagree. 

The two schools that I have been associated with were both told that I needed  the physical check up at a local hospital. The results had to be on official hospital headed paper signed by a senior doctor. The labour office insisted on this as a condition of obtaining a work permit. I believe this has been the norm for the past few years.

Same senior Doctor has private clinic also where he/she can sign you what ever paper! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Various provinces will have different rules.  If the school has told you to go to a hospital, then that is what you should do.  We had to get our medical from a hospital and we were required to get a syphilis test.   We had a couple of teachers who decided to save money and go to a clinic.  Their medical certificate was rejected and it slowed the entire process down for them -- and ultimately cost them more.

Schools, especially if they have a history of having foreign teachers and a working relationship with the various government agencies will know what is acceptable and what isn't. 

• Like 1

Find a different country to teach in or teach in the private sector.
Public schools are low pay and no respect.  If you're willing to take a ration of **** from a school, at least get paid well.  Saudi Arabia, Korea, Japan...  It's a joke here.  Speaking as a guy with three years of teaching under my belt.  Never again in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, connda said:

Find a different country to teach in or teach in the private sector.
Public schools are low pay and no respect.  If you're willing to take a ration of **** from a school, at least get paid well.  Saudi Arabia, Korea, Japan...  It's a joke here.  Speaking as a guy with three years of teaching under my belt.  Never again in Thailand.

Actually, I am teaching in the private sector and am paid well enough to be sustainable - not getting richer mind you!  I have worked in the public sector too and agree the pay was terrible and certainly not something any experienced and qualified teacher should bother with unless they aren't in it for the money but more the pleasure of experiencing Thailand. 

Anyway, the post really wasn't about salaries. 

Edited by thenewgoo

12 hours ago, thenewgoo said:

Chiang Mai - I guess my coughing people reference was more a precautionary concern to my point of having to go to one - I hope you are right. I feel I am wasting the time of our blessed frontline with nonsense. I am bound to the hospital as our school has a business account with them.

Go to the correct clinic at Chiang Mai Ram. Very cheap and quick you will have very little contact but with

nice Nurses and a phlebotomist who brags about her smooth skills.

I am going to echo Sheryl's comment:

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Hospitals are not full of coughing people in their waiting rooms. Least of all in the sections that do physical check ups.

20 hours ago, thenewgoo said:

I am bound to the hospital as our school has a business account with them.

Get on with it. Wear your mask and social distance. Carry your own pens (and hand sanitizer if you're that worried about it). (I'd rather go to a hospital than a clinic. Hospitals have very good screening methods to keep the coughing folks at bay ????)

20 hours ago, Scott said:

Various provinces will have different rules.  If the school has told you to go to a hospital, then that is what you should do.  We had to get our medical from a hospital and we were required to get a syphilis test.   We had a couple of teachers who decided to save money and go to a clinic.  Their medical certificate was rejected and it slowed the entire process down for them -- and ultimately cost them more.

Schools, especially if they have a history of having foreign teachers and a working relationship with the various government agencies will know what is acceptable and what isn't. 

How much more expensive to do at a hospital?

22 hours ago, Madgee said:

Disagree. 

The two schools that I have been associated with were both told that I needed  the physical check up at a local hospital. The results had to be on official hospital headed paper signed by a senior doctor. The labour office insisted on this as a condition of obtaining a work permit. I believe this has been the norm for the past few years.

Have you heard of dual pricing?  There is also dual standards?  ????

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

How much more expensive to do at a hospital?

I actually don't remember the cost.  My regular hospital was not particularly expensive.  Some years back, when BKK had the massive floods, I was not able to get there easily and I went to a nearby hospital which charged substantially more.  The doctor insisted that in addition to everything else, they had to do a drug test.  So in addition of to waiting for the syphilis test, I had to wait for the drug test.   The cost wasn't onerous, maybe Baht 2,000 or so more than my regular hospital. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, Sheryl said:

if anything they are emptier than usual.

And no need to go to a hospital for a work permit physical, clinics can do them. Where in Thailand are you?

Don’t let facts get in the way of someones paranoid delusions and need to complain........ ????

Op: Have you also complained about the elevated risks you face when travelling to your medical check up? - Thailands road fatalities are high, you shouldn’t be taking any unnecessary travel risks !!!!.... ????

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t let facts get in the way of someones paranoid delusions and need to complain........ ????

Op: Have you also complained about the elevated risks you face when travelling to your medical check up? - Thailands road fatalities are high, you shouldn’t be taking any unnecessary travel risks !!!!.... ????

I'm sure my blood pressure was higher after that U-turn !