New opening hours for malls, supermarkets and convenience stores in red zone provinces

Jonathan Fairfield

download.jpeg

Image: Reuters file photo

The Thai Retailers Association on Saturday announced a change to the opening hours of malls,  supermarkets and food courts and convenience stores in red  zone provinces.

Starting Sunday (25 April) the new opening hours will be as follows:

• Shopping malls, community malls: 11am to 8pm
  • Supermarkets, food courts: Close by 9pm
  • Convenience stores: 5am to 10pm.

The new opening hours apply  to all red zone provinces, such as:

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chonburi, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phuket, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Rayong, Sa Kaew, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Songkhla, Suphanburi, Tak and Udon Thani.

The new opening hours will be in place until 2 May  2021.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I don't know where they get their ideas from but the guy who comes up with this rubbish should be fired.

Take a store that's usually open for 24 hours per day and restrict the opening hours.

What happens then?

Instead of the customers being distributed throughout the entire day they are now concentrated into a shorter period of time due to the artificially applied constraint.

The result will be more people in the same indoor places at the same time as each other.

This is the opposite of what they should be attempting to achieve.

Oh...my brain hurts...so much logic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

More restrictions more restrictions until Siam Bioscience comes in and saves all the Thai people's day. 

Indeed. And that was the plan from the beginning, so state propaganda can announce that a certain institution has once again saved the entire nation from certain doom. Alas,  so far it has backfired spectacularly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

so state propaganda can announce that a certain institution has once again saved the entire nation from certain doom

Yep. and save the day will come for sure.

Nothing else matters besides them, their jugheads and what they protect regardless of the smoke and mirrors and evade blame tactics. You can bet that they are all inoculated and safe and the rest is just collateral damage of the peons.. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

More restrictions more restrictions until Siam Bioscience comes in and saves all the Thai people's day. 

and makes loads of money in the process... 

22 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And Prayut will hail himself as the saviour for holding out on vaccines in their favour.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, ukrules said:

I don't know where they get their ideas from but the guy who comes up with this rubbish should be fired.

Take a store that's usually open for 24 hours per day and restrict the opening hours.

What happens then?

Instead of the customers being distributed throughout the entire day they are now concentrated into a shorter period of time due to the artificially applied constraint.

The result will be more people in the same indoor places at the same time as each other.

Edited yesterday at 02:53 PM by ukrules

Exactly,  

Many years ago a man who was one of the investment professionals and I were talking about steps the bank was taking to address loan problems due to failing companies stressed because of falling oil prices.  I looked at what the bank said it was going to do and I said to him, none of these steps do anything to address the problems.  He replied "Most Change Is Initiated To Create The Illusion Of Progress"  

That is exactly what is done here.  The government leaders can't really come up with policies that effectively address the spread of Covid but they are haphazardly adopting all sorts of rules without any thought as to their effectiveness.  Worse yet, many such as crowding people into compressed shopping hours may worsen the problems. 

However, when asked what they are doing, they can proudly point out all the rules and regulations showing how they are combatting the spread of Covid and everyone just nods their heads in agreement as though the policies really do anything. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, ukrules said:

What happens then?

sadly, that's true.

many of thailand's measures seem to be founded on the principle of sacrifice, i.e. hurt yourself and it will help the virus go away.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 2:29 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:
  • Shopping malls, community malls: 11am to 8pm
  • Supermarkets, food courts: Close by 9pm
  • Convenience stores: 5am to 10pm.

For reference, here in Cambodia, most Provinces are currently under curfew from 8pm to 5am, so such business premises are all closed between these hours - no variations as above. Inter Provincial travel was banned on April 7th, just prior to the start of the Khmer New Year (Thai Songkran), and is still in operation to stop people travelling around the country.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:27 PM, chilly07 said:

Better to have ONLY senior citizens disabled and those shielding due to preexisting conditions for a 2hr slot daily and not restrict hours otherwise to reduce serious infections and numbers overall

Some stores in US did this. I think it a great idea.

23 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Hopefully you will be an investor along with all  your other bio science investments and you will make loads of money

I'm pretty sure I don't have the necessary family connections to reap the benefits from this lucrative little deal.