Yamaha Aerox

Inderpland

1 hour ago, frantick said:

But I wouldn't go back to a step through because the Aerox is just so stable, big bike feel. I just plan my big bag shopping to my last stop before home. It's doable. And if I didn't have my GF's helmet under the seat, most big bags fit easily there.

Sir ! - you obviously havn't riden an ADV 150 - The Aerox, although a very good scooter - rides like a small scooter ...The ADV rides like an auto dirtbike ...has much better suspension and brakes ......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

Sir ! - you obviously havn't riden an ADV 150 - The Aerox, although a very good scooter - rides like a small scooter ...The ADV rides like an auto dirtbike ...has much better suspension and brakes ......

What is the main difference between the ADV and SPX?

Both 150 cc and look very similar,  right?

Screenshot_20210705-211117_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

2 hours ago, piston broke said:

Tried the adv, felt like a boat to me, not light/nimble, but to each his own.

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Yamaha Aerox sound like a good choice.

The R model with ABS is listed at 75,900 baht.

Do they sell at the listed retail price or is there a rebate?

Do dealers give extras? Service?

Might be a good idea to get an extra key.

Screenshot_20210706-042919_Chrome.thumb.jpg.933da253d52672d1dc837d302b61ed4a.jpg

Maybe a bit confusing on Aerox models, but the ABS version is not the R model + ABS, they are very different, R model has better gas shocks at the back but with normal ignition keys, the ABS version has front brake ABS (back brake is drum on both models) plus remote keys, but normal shocks at the back....!

Yamaha went a bit cheap on top model and dropped the gas back shocks.... But I guess if you like the ABS can buy it and just replace the back shocks, not that expensive....

(Ah, nearly forgot, the color schemes are also different for each 3 model - my friend has bought and changed some panels too, to his preferred black, not expensive also).

You can also buy a nearly new, under a year, Aerox for almost 20k baht discount, they have 3 years or 30k km warranty, and if it has warranty card and service book, Yamaha is very good in honoring their warranty in full labor and parts...

By the way, Adv 150 and Aerox 155 are both still small scooters, and feel the same, I've ridden both, not much different than 125cc ones (all good for inner city and traffic of course). I say PCX and Nmax feel a bit more substantial and  give smoother ride and better wind/rain protection on open roads. You want a real big (feel) scooter get on a Forza or Xmax, whole different ball game....!  lol 

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 2

Just be advised, you're talking about the 2020 model year, which I'm sure many dealers still have. The 2021 models have changed shock options, higher price than quoted above, etc. Mine is the '21 model.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

If you are not really dependent on the ABS, Go for the R-Version. Better shocks and avoid the wireless key thing. I'm an electrical engineer and i say its just unnecessary fancy BS with problems waiting to happen.

No one is dependent on ABS, until they need it! And I sure needed it a couple of months ago when an old dear swung into a U turn right in front of me on a country lane. Full on emergency braking was the only thing that was going to save us and my Aerox ABS performed brilliantly. It pulled up in a dead straight line without any fuss or drama.

Until that day I was, like you, somewhat ambivalent about ABS, but not anymore. Thailand should follow the example of India and have ABS fitted to all motorcycles.

I would say go for the ABS version O/P, it could save your life. It's easy to change the rear shocks if you're not happy with them.

P. S. I very much like the keyless feature. I was an electronics engineer for most of my career so I'm very comfortable with it.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, frantick said:

Just be advised, you're talking about the 2020 model year, which I'm sure many dealers still have. The 2021 models have changed shock options, higher price than quoted above, etc. Mine is the '21 model.

Thanks for the info, I just checked on Yamaha website, the new 21 model has only two versions now, standard and ABS, the ABS version also has sub-tank rear shock (as they call it) , and has the automatic stop/start Smart Motor. it's 78.5k baht....

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

Thanks for the info, I just checked on Yamaha website, the new 21 model has only two versions now, standard and ABS, the ABS version also has sub-tank rear shock (as they call it) , and has the automatic stop/start Smart Motor. it's 78.5k baht....

Yeah, I know that auto start thing is on many scooters these days, but I have it turned off. For sure less wear and tear on the starter, and given traffic, I don't want to have an issue if I need a quick getaway for some reason.

8 hours ago, Agusts said:

Maybe a bit confusing on Aerox models, but the ABS version is not the R model + ABS, they are very different, R model has better gas shocks at the back but with normal ignition keys, the ABS version has front brake ABS (back brake is drum on both models) plus remote keys, but normal shocks at the back....!

Yamaha went a bit cheap on top model and dropped the gas back shocks.... But I guess if you like the ABS can buy it and just replace the back shocks, not that expensive....

(Ah, nearly forgot, the color schemes are also different for each 3 model - my friend has bought and changed some panels too, to his preferred black, not expensive also).

You can also buy a nearly new, under a year, Aerox for almost 20k baht discount, they have 3 years or 30k km warranty, and if it has warranty card and service book, Yamaha is very good in honoring their warranty in full labor and parts...

By the way, Adv 150 and Aerox 155 are both still small scooters, and feel the same, I've ridden both, not much different than 125cc ones (all good for inner city and traffic of course). I say PCX and Nmax feel a bit more substantial and  give smoother ride and better wind/rain protection on open roads. You want a real big (feel) scooter get on a Forza or Xmax, whole different ball game....!  lol 

You are right, model R and ABS are two different models, my bad.

78,500 baht for the 2021 ABS model is my front runner for now.

Choice of color is a bit limited from the factory.

Are the below models custom made?

The Forza is a bit too big for my needs. I just need the extra power to zip up this 50% slope.

Where do you find the used bikes you mention? 

Screenshot_20210705-191743_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-191804_Google.jpg

6 hours ago, frantick said:

Did you pay the sticker price or is it common to negotiate some rebate?

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You are right, model R and ABS are two different models, my bad.

78,500 baht for the 2021 ABS model is my front runner for now.

Choice of color is a bit limited from the factory.

Are the below models custom made?

The Forza is a bit too big for my needs. I just need the extra power to zip up this 50% slope.

Where do you find the used bikes you mention? 

Screenshot_20210705-191743_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-191804_Google.jpg

You can try Facebook marketplace in city where you are, or Kaidee.com (need Google translator for this). Or try bahtsold.com that is in English.

Always haggle and check documents, if in doubt buy from a used dealer shop, they are very good helping with registration and at least a business/shop to refer to if something goes really wrong, a nearly new low mileage small scooter should be fine ....

If in Pattaya try this shop, they have some Aerox and ADV now and I have bought from them once before ...., they also advertise in bahtsold, here is two recent ones:

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/03-2020-yamaha-aerox-155-4xxxkm-49-900-easy-finance-by-shop-433323

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/03-2021-yamaha-aerox-155-1xxxkm-53-900-easy-finance-by-shop-433324

You can change side panels for different colors easily, I think a few hundred bahts each...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Did you pay the sticker price or is it common to negotiate some rebate?

I suck at haggling, so I don't. Supposedly I got a discount. Paid 82,500 all in with 2 cheap helmets and 2 years of first class insurance.

I wanted the white/gold model, but only available in the Philippines. Just ended up taking the only 2021 they had on the floor; blue/gray.

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

You can try Facebook marketplace in city where you are, or Kaidee.com (need Google translator for this). Or try bahtsold.com that is in English.

Always haggle and check documents, if in doubt buy from a used dealer shop, they are very good helping with registration and at least a business/shop to refer to if something goes really wrong, a nearly new low mileage small scooter should be fine ....

If in Pattaya try this shop, they have some Aerox and ADV now and I have bought from them once before ...., they also advertise in bahtsold, here is two recent ones:

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/03-2020-yamaha-aerox-155-4xxxkm-49-900-easy-finance-by-shop-433323

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/03-2021-yamaha-aerox-155-1xxxkm-53-900-easy-finance-by-shop-433324

You can change side panels for different colors easily, I think a few hundred bahts each...

That first listing is a good deal especially since you can rent first. A week is plenty of time to know if there are any surprise issues.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Agusts said:

Agusts, you are the man!

That 2020 model looks great. I love the colors.

They don't say what model it is, so most likely it is the 2020 standard model, originally listed at 65,400 baht.

I am in Koh Tao, but I guess it is possible to ship it. With the rental offer and from the pictures I am willing to take it unseen. 

Just in case you see other similar models online, please share. 

14 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Forza is a bit too big for my needs.

My Forza is the same width as my PCX at the mirrors - the widest part.

Only 10cm longer - 4 inches

No difference in lane splitting, etc. And a LOT more power

56 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I did have a quick look at the Forza, but it a bit too much like a real motorcycle. I just need a scooter and since I need to climb a 50% hill, the logic was to move from the Click to the PCX/Aerox models.

Since you have a PCX, maybe you can answer why the PCX is 14 kg heavier than the Aerox?

Is the Aerox flimsy?

When Aerox first came out I rented one on a trip to Pattaya.

Those pointy sides of the front fairing struck me in the knees all the time.

No Go for me.

Why is it more heavy ? Unknown

But everybody compares the - (fill in name here) - to the PCX. Why ? Because it is on top.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

When Aerox first came out I rented one on a trip to Pattaya.

Those pointy sides of the front fairing struck me in the knees all the time.

No Go for me.

Why is it more heavy ? Unknown

But everybody compares the - (fill in name here) - to the PCX. Why ? Because it is on top.

I didn't want the pointy sides either, that's one reason I waited for the '21 model which are not pointy.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 9:15 PM, piston broke said:

test ride them both and you will be enlightened !

The adv has a good suspension and the aerox does not.  However, going from a step through could make one believe the aerox has a good suspension. 

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I did have a quick look at the Forza, but it a bit too much like a real motorcycle. I just need a scooter and since I need to climb a 50% hill, the logic was to move from the Click to the PCX/Aerox models.

Since you have a PCX, maybe you can answer why the PCX is 14 kg heavier than the Aerox?

Is the Aerox flimsy?

Yup.  The suspension is not up to the power of the engine or the speed it can generate.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:04 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Which bike will best climb a steep 50% incline?

Honda PCX?

Honda Click 150?

Yahama Aerox?

Any of these bikes will climb if not  just put a lighter roller weight in them and a 110 can do it.

The Aerox is certainly more sporty and focused, but I find that Yamaha engine unrefined and would choose a newer ABS PCX every time. The Aerox looks cool, but be sure to spend a day riding each before buying. For me, the PCX every time...

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 9:11 AM, canthai55 said:

I liked the look of the new Forzas - much more like the PCX, right until I tried sitting on one. The Forza's seat is huge, incredibly wide. It really doesn't work for me, but for a bigger person it may work well?

Anyone considering a Forza needs to go and try it for size. True for all bikes, but the Forza's seat width is very unusual.