Complicated issue - Dual Citizen/Different names/Married

leeroll

Will try to keep this as short as possible.

I carry thai/swe citizenships but both carries different first AND last name due to being born in Thailand, moved to Sweden and had my names changed as a child.

My mother remarried in Sweden so by law the man she married became my new father.

Fast forward decades later, I marry the love of my life, with my Swedish name, and I want my wife to be able to stay long term in Thailand.

Here comes the problem, my Thai birth certificate has my biological fathers name which creates a difficulty of changing my Thai name to my Swedish name (which carries my new fathers name) in order to properly register my marriage to my wife in Thailand. The Thai Amphue cannot link me and my new father together in any way to change my last name to his, because Thai birth certificate states my biological fathers name. 

At this point I'm not really sure what to do, my guess is my new father that I grew up with has to adopt me, a 33 years old man, in Thailand, so I can take his last name so my two names will finally match?

40 minutes ago, tgw said:

very interesting.

is the amphoe willing to register your marriage under your Thai name?

Since they are already married, the challenge is to register the existing marriage (using the Swedish surname) in Thailand. Trying to marry again will run into the problem that his wife will not be able to get an affirmation of freedom to marry because she is obviously already married.

Sometimes, the best solution is to employ the services of a well connected Thai family lawyer, and have them sort it out.

• Thanks 1

Are you really sure that in order to change the swedish surname, you need to be adopted by your "new" father?????

To me this seems strange and not in accordance with the law in Sweden??? Isn´t it true that a surname can be changed easily now adays in Sweden and be changed i.e. by reason of "connection"... Meaning that change can be done and will be done if you have a reason for it... Reasons are; a) the present name is a extremely common name like all our "son-names" we have in Sweden  b) criminal activity or other shameful events, that you like to distance yourself from  c) change of identity  and probasbly loads of other reasons...

Have you really explored the possibilities back home in Sweden in a really good way?? To me you certtainly seems to have a very good reason to change name just by being connected to your new fatrher who raised you for a long long time.

Take a chance, and see if the embassy can help you, they work sometimes wonders.. That is if you are here in Thailand just now?? Otherwise recontact the swedish authorities, I am sure this change of surname can be done back home in Sweden if you just try it enough...  Good luck...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, glegolo said:

Are you really sure that in order to change the swedish surname, you need to be adopted by your "new" father?????

To me this seems strange and not in accordance with the law in Sweden??? Isn´t it true that a surname can be changed easily now adays in Sweden and be changed i.e. by reason of "connection"... Meaning that change can be done and will be done if you have a reason for it... Reasons are; a) the present name is a extremely common name like all our "son-names" we have in Sweden  b) criminal activity or other shameful events, that you like to distance yourself from  c) change of identity  and probasbly loads of other reasons...

Have you really explored the possibilities back home in Sweden in a really good way?? To me you certtainly seems to have a very good reason to change name just by being connected to your new fatrher who raised you for a long long time.

Take a chance, and see if the embassy can help you, they work sometimes wonders.. That is if you are here in Thailand just now?? Otherwise recontact the swedish authorities, I am sure this change of surname can be done back home in Sweden if you just try it enough...  Good luck...

glegolo

You misunderstand. I need to change my Thai surname in Thailand, not the Swedish one in Sweden. This has little to do with Sweden and what Sweden can do for me. 

Thai Amphoe need the correct legal papers to change my last name in Thailand and I've been to both Swedish embassy and Some other Swedish authorities. They've tried to give me all the possible papers that they can.

Among it are papers stating that my Thai name and my Swedish are indeed the same person that was changed when I moved to Sweden. However this is not enough for the Amphoe, they need to know how I came to have this last name and requires something stating my legal connection to my new father. Sweden has no such thing they can give, something that says he is my father for example because in Sweden, me moving there and getting a new dad, name just changes automatically by law, it is a natural thing.
So Thailand only has my biological fathers last name in my birth certificate to go on. The suggestion from them is for my father who I grew up with to adopt me in Thailand into his lastname (he is established in Thailand with family visa). In my opinion this is very extreme and odd. 

My Wife’s cousins change their all the time....    One of them, when a boy dumps her, that must be bad luck, she goes to a fortune teller who tells her to changes her name, she does so !

Another, business isn’t doing so weak, she goes goes to a fortune teller who tells her to changes her name, she does so !

Both have changed their names officially at the Amphur Office, changed ID, Passport everything. 

Thus: Op, You can change your Thai official Name to reflect your Western Name - this may be the simplest solution.