Thailand's Novelty Worn Off?

cdnvic

I imagine there are newcomers to Thailand all the time who get all worked up about tuk-tuks, Buddhas, beaches, elephants, go-go dancers, $1 dvds, etc, etc, but how long does it last until Thailand becomes just another place for you?

Tuk-tuks' novelty wore off fast on me. They just aren't made for tall people. But for a real glimpse into how the iconic things about Thailand can wear out on me I look through my photos, and its strikes me just how much I don't shoot. In over 1000 photos there wasn't a single tuk tuk or samlor, only one elephant, and one monkey. On the other hand I had hundreds of beach, Buddha, and skyline shots. Aside from the Buddhas, I shoot those everywhere I go.

I got the sense that some of the novelties were wearing out on me, yet the food carts, beer gardens, the Chiang Mai traffic wars, and the outdoor markets were as much interest as ever. Probably more so as I've been away for a bit.

Does everything eventually get old, or are there still parts of Thailand that are as exciting as they were the first time you arrived?

I remember telling everyone after my first trip to Thailand about how great Tuk-Tuks were/are and how they must use them for everyday transport, Oh how that changed, I will not use them now except for the crack and someone new on the ground.

Personally, I have love the quietness of Rayong and the empty beaches, same great food, smiles and inconsistent responsiveness, but hey, beats the h-ll out of Oxford.

Just hoping it doesn't change too much by the time I get there for good.

The indoor markets, outdoor markets, whatever markets are still great, so no this hasn't changed.

Moss

The more things change the more they stay the same..

After living here full time for 9 years i would have to say it's still as exciting and unpredictable as it was when i first arrived arrived..

Could never go back to "the other side"..not now.

Nah! I still find new people and things all the time here ....

but the point of having ridden in a tuktuk or on an elephant is valid for me ... btdt

but I still meet great new people and see new things and have as much fun as ever!

I will not use them now except for the crack and someone new on the ground.

Meeting new people is always good, but using the crack can land you in a Thai jail for a long time.

I will not use them now except for the crack and someone new on the ground.

Meeting new people is always good, but using the crack can land you in a Thai jail for a long time.

That really depends on whose crack you're using :o

The more things change the more they stay the same..

After living here full time for 9 years i would have to say it's still as exciting and unpredictable as it was when i first arrived arrived..

Could never go back to "the other side"..not now.

That's the word!

I had to make sure the main reason I got excited about Thailand "got old" before I could move to Thailand.

Now I am making the move. I should be able to live and work a productive life instead of getting drunk most days.

The people I work with don't beleive me. They tell me I'll just only join the zombies. Not by accident but by necessity because I'll be working with them. Let's hope not or I'll be tranferring out or I'll have alot of beach, buddha, and elephant pictures that I'll have no idea where they came from.

I do look forward to being surprised. But maybe I've read too many TV threads and I'll muddle through like its no biggie.

Edited by Head Snake

I have lived here for quite some time and never had the opportunity to be a tourist because I had a job lined up when I got here and started work very shorty after arriving. I'm looking forward to the day I can take some time and explore as of now I have accumulated 21 days of vacation. People at home say "Wow Thailand that's cool" I have no clue to me it's a smaller version of Philadelphia with the same quality of drivers and just like Philly everyone speaks bad English.

I have lived here for quite some time and never had the opportunity to be a tourist because I had a job lined up when I got here and started work very shorty after arriving. I'm looking forward to the day I can take some time and explore as of now I have accumulated 21 days of vacation. People at home say "Wow Thailand that's cool" I have no clue to me it's a smaller version of Philadelphia with the same quality of drivers and just like Philly everyone speaks bad English.

no the novelty hasnt worn off,been here 13 years (all of it in samui) i remember the days of bad roads restaurants and sang thip buckets ,now we have tesco macro ,and soon big c .the changes that have happened are for the better in my opinion ,less backpackers more families ,if i was young this would'nt be the place i would choose to live but im not ,i just wish i had taken a few more photo's of the place when i 1st came to samui. as new xpats who complain about the roads (in the early days they were mud tracks)and the lack of western food (anyone remember when you only had lamdin market) i could show people what it was like ,and maybe they would appriecate how good they have it now .i love samui ,still wake up and feel so lucky i decided to spend my life on this great island,i know there are people out there who will disagree with me ,but thats human nature .but theres more who would swap there lives for mine ,im living my dream ,they are just dreaming it :o

no the novelty hasnt worn off,been here 13 years (all of it in samui) i remember the days of bad roads restaurants and sang thip buckets ,now we have tesco macro ,and soon big c .the changes that have happened are for the better in my opinion ,less backpackers more families ,if i was young this would'nt be the place i would choose to live but im not ,i just wish i had taken a few more photo's of the place when i 1st came to samui. as new xpats who complain about the roads (in the early days they were mud tracks)and the lack of western food (anyone remember when you only had lamdin market) i could show people what it was like ,and maybe they would appriecate how good they have it now .i love samui ,still wake up and feel so lucky i decided to spend my life on this great island,i know there are people out there who will disagree with me ,but thats human nature .but theres more who would swap there lives for mine ,im living my dream ,they are just dreaming it :o

Hi Lazeeboy :D

Whether your lifestyle is everybody's dream is unimportant.

Its LOVELY to read a message from a person who is truly happy and at peace with himself and able to actually live his Dreams.

Good luck to you Lazeeboy, and may your Dream reality be lifelong.

Kind Regards, Dave

Edited by gdhm

I think it does wear off the buzz of being there after a while. I think it was after about 3 years I felt as if it was just another place. However a few days in Bangkok usually cleared my head of that, flashing past in taxis, late clubs, manic shopping trips and the sites and sounds of the crazy mango always helped me revitalise my appreciation of Thailand. You either love it or you hate it!

:o

Ya the novelty wore off for me but I still want to go back.

For me, the novelty is in the new places in Thailand to see that I know about, but haven't seen yet. It's amazing how many places I haven't been yet.

Got tired of 1$ DVDs and street touts from the first time I saw them, street prostitutes from day one, go-go dancers after the first 2 weeks, tuk-tuks took me a few months to get annoyed of, elephants only when some idiot is chasing me with his bananas or other kind of crap while the poor animal...(ever seen the eyes of some elephant when this happens?), I still find Buddhas fascinating though and I have a great deal of respect for these people.

I still love Thailand, but I don't have the same feelings I had when I first came here.

I still find Buddhas fascinating though and I have a great deal of respect for these people.

so you have met some Buddhas? i wonder where one finds them. :o

:D Sorry. I thought the op was talking about the monks.

Long term farang residents may enjoy Thailand if they can accept that there are no welcoming farang communities here, especially in the Northern parts such as Chiang Mai.

Farangs may live here for years without finding people to converse with in their own language on a regular basis. A one big reason why westerners can feel isolated and bored with los after a few years.

None of the pockets of isolated farangs living here is particularly friendly, these are not community minded people.

I have been residing in Chiang Mai for several years and now can't imagine living anywhere else. Managed to adapt to a non communal lifestyle and find my own enjoyment.

This is the lifestyle for farangs living in LOS. If this is acceptable, than Thailand is for you.

For those that are bored, this is as good as it gets, so why are you still here?

Edited by distortedlink