Thailand's Novelty Worn Off?

cdnvic

Moss, do you mean "craic"?

Looking back at my post, it would appear I had, 'blown the froth off a couple', Blimey I can see that getting me into trouble too :D I bet you can't find another instance where I spelt it like that :o

Anyway that's how the Brits spell it and it would appear I have been around them too long :D

I will not use them now except for the crack and someone new on the ground.

Meeting new people is always good, but using the crack can land you in a Thai jail for a long time.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean :bah:

Meeting new people is always good, but using the crack can land you in a Thai jail for a long time.

That really depends on whose crack you're using :D

:D

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Moss, do you mean "craic"?

Looking back at my post, it would appear I had, 'blown the froth off a couple', Blimey I can see that getting me into trouble too :D I bet you can't find another instance where I spelt it like that :o

Anyway that's how the Brits spell it and it would appear I have been around them too long :D

I have absolutely no idea what you mean :bah:

That really depends on whose crack you're using :D

:bah:

Good Luck

Moss

went out last night had a great meal bottle of wine looked out to sea ,yes its still the same for me ,great food great people ,great time ,thanks thailand :D

Thailand's novelty had worn off before I came to live here.

I suppose that really helped in the transition, because I wasn't looking for "amazing thailand" around every corner. Anything new & un-expected that I have encountered since has usually been a pleasant surprise, rather than something you are looking for & never quite finding.

Cheers,

Soundman.

If it wasn't for the tax angle and cheap cost of living I wouldn't stay here. However it is convenient at the moment. Nice place for a holiday but the people get on your tits a bit after a while, all the fakery gets boring. Not all I must add before some little queen starts yapping at me like shreks pony, just in general.

If it wasn't for the tax angle and cheap cost of living I wouldn't stay here. However it is convenient at the moment. Nice place for a holiday but the people get on your tits a bit after a while, all the fakery gets boring. Not all I must add before some little queen starts yapping at me like shreks pony, just in general.

:o

Bangkok's novelty value wore off on me very quickly.

Chiang Mai's will not.

I cannot really explain why is just that I feel at home here and am happy that this is my home wheras the mango had nothing to offer me.

I like the fact that our restauant can stay open till 2am and have customers that are well sozzelled but cause absolutley NO trouble whatsoever,(mainly Thai) unfortunatley that would NOT be the case back home and I would need a team of bouncers to deal with the inevitable trouble that ensues from over-imbibing.

LOS has its fair share of problems right now .but personally unless the sky falls in I will stay put

Does everything eventually get old, or are there still parts of Thailand that are as exciting as they were the first time you arrived?

The constant, tiresome (and expensive) visa runs draw from the novelty of living here.

• 1 month later...

After a while I find that Thai people do all the same stuff people do back home, only with less expectation. As someone else said there is great pleasure in going to the open markets and mingling with the people. Thank god I have no idea what they are saying and I want it to stay that way.

If only the tuk tuks would all fly away.

I haven't spent such a lot of time in LoS, perhap year and a half in the last 6 (still gotta work for a living unfortunately), but perhaps the biggest reason I love the place is that almost every time I walk out the door something weird, and often wonderful, happens. This almost never seems to be the case in the "civilized" west.

My first week living in Chiang Mai as a settler, I was fascinated that I could look out my window and see several wats. That's not normal in Texas or Mexico. I hate the food, so that's nothing interesting. The first several elephants were interesting; now they're only an occasional traffic hazard.

But, especially since I can't learn the language, the culture is still fascinating. I wonder what they're saying, doing, making, deciding, etc. I cannot see boredom on the horizon.

Nice place for a holiday but the people get on your tits a bit after a while

Sums up exactly why I would never choose to live in Thailand.

(apart from maybe retiring, and going back down to Samuii with my never ending bucket of SangThip....just to annoy the "locals" :o )

Nice place for a holiday but the people get on your tits a bit after a while

Sums up exactly why I would never choose to live in Thailand.

(apart from maybe retiring, and going back down to Samuii with my never ending bucket of SangThip....just to annoy the "locals" :D )

do expats still drink buckets of sangsom :o

Sangsom buckets? Had about 3 in the first week of being here, none in the following 3+ years... still get an occasional 'sangsom-bucket flash back'...

Moved here in Feb 2004 with no preconceptions of the place. Now, just feel it's time to move on before any negativity kicks in and I start to resent the place, people, tv, culture, face saving etc... I'm sure I'll find mostly the same problems with my next place too after a while - Shame I can't leave me behind and start afresh in a new place with a new me.

Any suggestions on how to do that exactly?

All places lose a little bit of the newness and tourist factor after time. For me, I don't feel excited about the same old places in Thailand, but whenever I visit a new place in Thailand, it's kind of the same old feeling I first got. Nothing beats the first impression of a new country or city, so it's not like that, but it's still good.

The novelty has worn off for me, sad to say. I have lived here with my family for 7+ years now and it has been great for us. We have really enjoyed ourselves and it has been a major learning experience. However, I feel it is time to go home.

I don't like being on my own all the time which is what happens when hubby is away at work for two or three months. I don't like being so far away from my family that it takes 24 hours and heaps of money to get to them.

I am going home but it isn't because I don't like Thailand, it is because the time is right for us.

Thailand's novelty had worn off before I came to live here.

Kinda sorta the same for me. Like many single males I had heard of stories and tall tales of bar-hopping and skirt-chasing in Thailand, but had never done anything to experience it. Then I met and fell for my Thai honey before ever going to the country for the first time. I started learning about her and the culture before ever setting foot in LoS. The first couple of trips were a bit of an experience, going into completely new environments and meeting new people. But there was never really a novelty form my perspective. It was a new culture that situations and experiences had brought me to become a part of and share in. Things became more a matter of what do I do and how do I adapt to this new world. Maybe things will change with more time, but probably not.

I think when living here you get used to it, take it for granted, and forget all the good things and get bored. When you go away then you miss it. There are always new surprises (look at the latest coup, who ever thought that would happen?).

Biggest difference between when I first came here and now is that I am really integrated into the life here, know so many Thais, and have really got into the lives of ordinary Thais and got to understood their problems. Like being a rich, privileged, fly on the wall able to see and sometimes change their lives. Almost like you can bring people out of miserable poverty and give them hope and a future, and they will always remember you and be eternally grateful.

Leading an ordinary life in Thailand is more interesting than being a tourist?

Edited by MaiChai