Connecting To Cdma Network

rank stranger

I bought a Nokia 6151 phone last year and used it to connect to the internet by DTAC. I got pretty good Edge service in Bangkok, but out in the country I was only to access the internet by GPRS. Very slowwww.

I'm in the US now but will return to Thailand in July. I plan on living in Hua Hin. If I end up in an area without ADSL, it would be nice to connect with my mobile at a reasonable speed. My phone has 3G broadband network coverage (WCDMA 2100). So, I am wondering if I can connect to either CAT's or Hutch's CDMA network with my mobile. If not, does anyone know if either AIS or DTAC are providing Edge service in Hua Hin?

Hutch only has CDMA 1X, so at a topspeed of 144 kbps it's somewhere between gprs and Edge.

Only CAT is deploying the CDMA EV-DO network, with operational towers in the Phuket area. Not sure if the EV-DO system is the same or compatible with the WCDMA of your phone though, normally for EV-DO you need an aircard, programmed specifically for your local provider...

I'm not sure if Hua Hin is covered by Hutch or Cat (Hutch covers some 25 provinces, CAT the remaining 50 something).