Johnson and Johnson for Thailand?

Jingthing

News from the U.S. is that for totally irrational reasons, a significant majority of Americans will refuse the Johnson and Johnson vaccine in favor of Pfizer and Moderna. (Astra Zenica isn't even approved for emergency use there yet.)

Could this be an opportunity for Thailand? 

Johnson and Johnson is easy to store and it takes only ONE dose!

As Americans are snubbing it, won't they have production capacity for exports?

So the question is why isn't Johnson and Johnson on the menu here in Thailand?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Thailand will have to get in line behind dozens of other countries that have already placed orders for the JnJ vaccine months ago.  Maybe Thailand could get some this time next year if they order soon.

That makes sense but it's recent news that Americans don't want it. So I'm assuming J and J was planning on supplying many millions to Americans that won't be going to Americans anymore. So maybe that is a source of "new" supply?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

So the question is why isn't Johnson and Johnson on the menu here in Thailand?

Agreed, they should be working around the clock to secure any new inventory which becomes available.

Whatever works........

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

News from the U.S. is that for totally irrational reasons, a significant majority of Americans will refuse the Johnson and Johnson

In who's opinion - yours, did they not consult you first for clarification?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pmbkk said:

In who's opinion - yours, did they not consult you first for clarification?

I think that people not wanting this Vaccine because 6 women died out of 6.8 million doses given, qualifies as 'totally irrational'.

What do you think?

But to address JT's question.

J&J have 9 million one shot doses 'ready to go' & if American people don't want it, Thailand should get in there & buy the flipping stuff.

Don't just be an 'Action Man' prayut, do something proven to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That makes sense but it's recent news that Americans don't want it. So I'm assuming J and J was planning on supplying many millions to Americans that won't be going to Americans anymore. So maybe that is a source of "new" supply?

Yup, the J&J vaccine will be available in huge available supplies, as well as the Astra Zeneca. Americans have been mostly vaccinated with Moderna and Pfizer.  As I posted in another thread, Biden has made a big announcement today that all the surplus Astra Zeneca doses will be given or sold to other countries, so if Thailand can get some diplomatic efforts underway, there could be a flood of vaccines available soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The US has given no indication they will give up their jnj vaccine.  They have already bought and paid for the vaccine.  They are planning on maintaining a vaccine surplus because booster shots will soon be needed.  It would be politically devastating if they gave it away, and then it was later needed for a booster or because of some new variant.  

8 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

The US has given no indication they will give up their jnj vaccine.  They have already bought and paid for the vaccine.  They are planning on maintaining a vaccine surplus because booster shots will soon be needed.  It would be politically devastating if they gave it away, and then it was later needed for a booster or because of some new variant.  

That sounds logical, however, remember than J&J has tremendous supply chain ability globally, so I tend to think this will not be a big issue. The bigger issue today is whether the US will use this vaccine-diplomacy approach like China and Russia have. The advantage is the J&J vaccine is much more effective than those two. 

• Like 1

Hopefully, we'll see this jab by the end of the year.  But doubt any time sooner.  In the end, I'll take pretty much whatever is offered.  Considering a followup jab will be required shortly anyway.

Biden just announced they'll be shipping 60 million doses of AZ in the next few months to other countries.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7809540/johnson-johnson-covid-vaccine-canada/

Johnson & Johnson vaccine is coming to Canada.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-vaccine-johnson-johnson-begins-shipments-to-eu/a-57169645

COVID vaccine: Johnson & Johnson begins shipments to EU

The US-based company is sending 50 million single-shot vaccines to the European bloc over the next few months.

• Like 1