Thai term 'choke'

bluesofa

i am not sure if they call the choke on the carburator by that same name (many newer models don't even have a manual choke anymore)

BUT  I am sure that when referring to the shocks on a bike or car they use the Thai translation (CHOKE ! ).   Confused me at first....... but now i know      ru maaaak

On 4/27/2021 at 1:17 PM, KeeTua said:

Shock absorber
'choke-up' often shortened to 'choke'
You can paste โช๊ค in Lazada.

As the OP, the first reply to my thread from Kee Tua (pasted above my text here) was the answer I was looking for.

In Thai, it's 'choke' (or might even be 'soke'). it won't be 'shoke', as there's no 'sh' sound in Thai.

I couldn't be clearer when asking, as it wasn't until I saw 'shock absorber' that I realised what it was.

It was from a not-too-clear description from a Thai about an item they had to repair.

Thanks to everyone who replied regarding the English word 'choke'. I apologise if you felt led astray.

That was why i asked about a word the Thais use - and its English translation.

It's another example of the Thai language using an English sounding word to describe something completely different.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As the OP, the first reply to my thread from Kee Tua (pasted above my text here) was the answer I was looking for.

In Thai, it's 'choke' (or might even be 'soke'). it won't be 'shoke', as there's no 'sh' sound in Thai.

I couldn't be clearer when asking, as it wasn't until I saw 'shock absorber' that I realised what it was.

It was from a not-too-clear description from a Thai about an item they had to repair.

Thanks to everyone who replied regarding the English word 'choke'. I apologise if you felt led astray.

That was why i asked about a word the Thais use - and its English translation.

It's another example of the Thai language using an English sounding word to describe something completely different.

Your last sentence Blue.  I thought boom boom was thunder 'til I came out here.

• Haha 2