Good Tailor In Bkk For Thai Traditional Dress

Expat2B

My Fiancee (Thai) and I are looking to Marry in July and after spending a few days in BKK will be heading to Krabi for our ceremony and registration (after sorting out the initial paperwork in BKK). Since we both live in the UK time is of the essence and we are looking to have a Traditional Thai Dress made for her and a Thai Style Suit for me. Given the time that it takes to make a dress we think we will start this process remotely with final fitting and alteration for her when we arrive in BKK. Several dressmakers seem to offer this service but any recommendation would be welcome (especially around the Sukhumvit, Wireless to Asoke area).

It seems far more difficult to locate a decent mens tailor to make an outfit for me. Again I would really welcome any recommendation fo good quality tailors to make this type of thing. I had thought that it should be possible to have something ready for say a Wednesday if I have the first measurements taken on the Sunday we arrive in BKK, but probably would like to start off the process remotely (as per my girlfriend) as a safeguard.

I would really appreciate any recommendations. Cost is far less of an issue than reliability and quality for us.

Try to contact July Tailor, who is near Sala Daeng BTS. They do excellent work and make many of the royal family's clothes. I think they usually take a long time to finish a garment, but if you contact them ahead of time you might be able to get them to prepare everything in advance and free up their schedule when you need them so as to get it done in time. They certainly aren't cheap by any means, but their work can't be beat from what I've seen.

You can hire the suit and dress as well.

Since I knew I would never ever wear the trad thai wedding suit I hired mine for 2K for the full kit which included having it fitted. It was a perfect fit. She could have hired a dress for 2.5K.

My wife had her dress made as she can wear hers to weddings in the Uk etc.

She was quoted 7.5K but did a deal with the dress maker on the side and got her to make it for 5k. I have to say she looked stunning and the dress is beautiful with a lot of hans-stitched bead work.

There are several places around Bkk where you can hire. We used a place outside the centre but easy to get to. PM me if you need the address and I will ask the wife.

You can hire the suit and dress as well.

Since I knew I would never ever wear the trad thai wedding suit I hired mine for 2K for the full kit which included having it fitted. It was a perfect fit. She could have hired a dress for 2.5K.

My wife had her dress made as she can wear hers to weddings in the Uk etc.

She was quoted 7.5K but did a deal with the dress maker on the side and got her to make it for 5k. I have to say she looked stunning and the dress is beautiful with a lot of hans-stitched bead work.

There are several places around Bkk where you can hire. We used a place outside the centre but easy to get to. PM me if you need the address and I will ask the wife.

Thanks for this we know you can hire and that is our fallback option, but we would really prefer to buy.

The issue is we will only be in BKK for a few days before heading off to Krabi with the guests, so turnaround time is key for us. For the future mrs E2B it would be nice to have the dress so she can wear it in the UK when I wear evening dress. I have dropped you a PM, but I think that any location significantly outside central BKK (and I mean Suk really) will make things really difficult since during the same period we also need to sort out the legal paperwork, entertain our guests and I will need to be in regular contact with the UK and do some work.

Regardless of who you choose as your tailor, they ought to be able to come to your hotel room for the fittings I'd think. You may have to visit them the first time at their place of business but if you request that all other fittings be done at your hotel they can likely accommodate you unless the tailor is really busy and has lots of walk-in customers. If you need that service though be sure to specify it in advance so that the tailor can free up their schedule.