Where to buy Solarcells

After considering to do it by myself or through a contractor, I made the decission to make self my solar cell installation from about 5-5.5 Kwh.

Some items are easy to find, like batterys, I make choice for the lipo4 cells, with a total voltage of 48V with a current of 240Ah.

Also I made choice for the inverter from Goodwe, model GW5048D-ES, I like to make a hybrid system connected to the grid.

But about the solar panels it is more complicated, initially i wanted to use the Longi 450W type, but today i see, there are already 530W models from Longi.

Only, there are available when you order 1000 pieces...it is a bit to much, when you don't need more than 10 until 12 pieces.

My question is, is there somebody, who knows where i can order this amount?

Solarcellcenter.com is a wholesaler, on there website they say they have in stock, but i need a shop.

Thanks in advance.

Solar cell.jpg

Loads of low-cost panels locally on Lazada or even go to Global and the like.

Amorn often have offers if you can visit a store (the website is woefully out of date).

Similarly for inverters, on-grid, off-grid and hybrid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Loads of low-cost panels locally on Lazada or even go to Global and the like.

Amorn often have offers if you can visit a store (the website is woefully out of date).

Similarly for inverters, on-grid, off-grid and hybrid.

Thanks, Crossy, but Lazada don't have bigger than 450W

About Amorn, i don't know who that is, amorn.co.th doesn't exist, but you know more?

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

How big do you want? 350W is a common size, bigger will be premium prices.

Are you strapped for roof space?

Have a look at https://amornsolar.com/ or check for a local store.

Yes I strapped about the roof space, it is 9x3 sqm, it is possible to make 3 rows horizontal from each 4 in line.

So, my mind went out of 450 watts, but after searching I saw solarcellcenter.com has 540, when i start why not the biggest one.

Of course, now i see 'Amorn' famous in LOS, i know them.

How big are the 540W panels, if they are the standard (ish) 2m x 1m format that makes them 27% efficient!!

EDIT the GreenSunSolar ones are 2776mm×1133mm×35mm bigger output but bigger size ???? 

Yeah, loads of places doing Longi panels up to 450W.

It can't hurt to email Longi themselves, they may even sell small quantities direct. The Chinese manufacturers will often sell anything to anyone or at least point you at a local outlet.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, loads of places doing Longi panels up to 450W.

It can't hurt to email Longi themselves, they may even sell small quantities direct. The Chinese manufacturers will often sell anything to anyone or at least point you at a local outlet.

Longi is difficult to reach, maybe I have to make choice for the 450 W panels, are widely available.

But i have another question, i have a 20 kW AVR in use, what do you think how to connect, or maybe total remove.

I don't know how to connect, between the grid and inverter, or the inverter after the AVR, but that looks like not the goodway, if i remember well, you have also a AVR.

How do you connect this?

Our grid-tie is between the under/over voltage trip and the AVR.

I'm not sure how the AVR would react to having power pushed up it's output, not well i suspect.

If you are never going to export then it would likely be OK on the AVR output but I've never tried it.

43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our grid-tie is between the under/over voltage trip and the AVR.

I'm not sure how the AVR would react to having power pushed up it's output, not well i suspect.

If you are never going to export then it would likely be OK on the AVR output but I've never tried it.

Ok, thanks for your explanation, however i like to export too, and i'm aware of the problems it can give about PEA

My advice is to buy your solar panels on Lazada or SHOPEE, they can be just as cheap as buying from China and you get a local service/guarantee.

Buy your inverters from China, I buy from MUST Solar and specify a price delivered door to door all duties and taxes prepaid, it comes out about 50% of the price of buying here.  For example, I paid 49,000 baht delivered for 3 of 5.5Kw Hybrid Inverters with Parallel kits, giving 16.5Kw max in single or 3 phase. At the time the price on Lazada for the same model was 28,500 baht for each inverter plus 3,500 baht for each parallel kit.

I also bought 32 of 272 AHr LiFePo batteries for 75,000 baht delivered from China all duties and taxes prepaid.  Plus another 10,000 baht approx on AliExpress for 2 of ANT BMS and 2 of Active Balancers, then you have a shed load of work assembling the batteries into 48v managed packs of 13KwHrs per pack (26KwHr total).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My advice is to buy your solar panels on Lazada or SHOPEE, they can be just as cheap as buying from China and you get a local service/guarantee.

Buy your inverters from China, I buy from MUST Solar and specify a price delivered door to door all duties and taxes prepaid, it comes out about 50% of the price of buying here.  For example, I paid 49,000 baht delivered for 3 of 5.5Kw Hybrid Inverters with Parallel kits, giving 16.5Kw max in single or 3 phase. At the time the price on Lazada for the same model was 28,500 baht for each inverter plus 3,500 baht for each parallel kit.

I also bought 32 of 272 AHr LiFePo batteries for 75,000 baht delivered from China all duties and taxes prepaid.  Plus another 10,000 baht approx on AliExpress for 2 of ANT BMS and 2 of Active Balancers, then you have a shed load of work assembling the batteries into 48v managed packs of 13KwHrs per pack (26KwHr total).

Thanks for your advice, but to be honestly i'm a bit afraid to order things with a big amount in China/Ali.

My last experience was with a camera for my drone at Ali, of course you'll have to pay in advance, i payed $545, and guess, waiting for more than 3 months nothing arrived.

I got my money back but supposed i do this with the batteries, think about the weight, appr. 100kg, pay in advance.

Yes, i have it considered it more than once but am reluctant to do so.

Also with warranty,  i know, also in Thailand you are not sure if there are problems they will help you but China is much more difficult.

And i like to assemble the battery pack by myself, but i think i pay a 'bit' more and order this (unfortunately) in LOS.

I saw at technosolars.com the Goodwe inverter GW5048 for 69k, and what i mentioned earlier, the 450W panels are average 4,5k each.

You can get the MUST PH18-5548+ inverter from TJ Solar for 25,000 baht.  It’s Hybrid, needs batteries, export or zero export, on-grid or off-grid, 5.5Kw pure sine wave, 48v batteries Lead Acid or Lithium for 25,000 baht.

I have 3 of these direct from the factory at 16,333 baht each including optional parallel kits.

Andy at TJ Solar (Thai Jeen) is a very helpful guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

You can get the MUST PH18-5548+ inverter from TJ Solar for 25,000 baht.  It’s Hybrid, needs batteries, export or zero export, on-grid or off-grid, 5.5Kw pure sine wave, 48v batteries Lead Acid or Lithium for 25,000 baht.

I have 3 of these direct from the factory at 16,333 baht each including optional parallel kits.

Andy at TJ Solar (Thai Jeen) is a very helpful guy.

Thanks for the advice, for sure i'll give it a try.

But do you mean he have lithium 48V for 25,000, let me guess 100Ah?

Because i don't have facebook, i'll try via Lazada.

20 hours ago, Tubulat said:

Thanks for the advice, for sure i'll give it a try.

But do you mean he have lithium 48V for 25,000, let me guess 100Ah?

Because i don't have facebook, i'll try via Lazada.

No, I meant that MUST inverter supports Lithium or Lead Acid batteries, specific tailoring for Lithium, Flooded Lead Acid, AGM etc.  It’s a very flexible inverter but complicated to set up.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, JBChiangRai said:

No, I meant that MUST inverter supports Lithium or Lead Acid batteries, specific tailoring for Lithium, Flooded Lead Acid, AGM etc.  It’s a very flexible inverter but complicated to set up.

This week I order 2 Must inverters, model PH18-5548 Plus to connect parallel, and for the time being 1 BYD batterybank 48V 260Ah

On the internet are mixed experiences about the Must inverter, and you told me too the software is difficult.

Anyway I make the choice for it.

I think, 1 batterybank is not enough, but later if necessary I'll buy a second one.

Also I order 12 Longi panels from each 450W

Only one question, do I need an ATM, or is this in the inverter arranged by the software.

20 hours ago, Tubulat said:

This week I order 2 Must inverters, model PH18-5548 Plus to connect parallel, and for the time being 1 BYD batterybank 48V 260Ah

On the internet are mixed experiences about the Must inverter, and you told me too the software is difficult.

Anyway I make the choice for it.

I think, 1 batterybank is not enough, but later if necessary I'll buy a second one.

Also I order 12 Longi panels from each 450W

Only one question, do I need an ATM, or is this in the inverter arranged by the software.

Can you inform me ( or us ) if the Must unit is loud or not . Theres 2 fans , but as we all know , some you can't hear when you put your ear next to it , while others sound like a jet taking off .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

What is an ATM?

I don’t know how loud they are, we’re a couple of weeks away from commissioning them.

ATM, automatic transfer switch, but I think it is not necessary because there is AC in and Out connection on the inverter so I think it will be aranged by the inverter.

About the noise, I don't know yet because they not arrived yet, I hope to get them begin next week.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, Tubulat said:

ATM, automatic transfer switch, but I think it is not necessary because there is AC in and Out connection on the inverter so I think it will be aranged by the inverter.

About the noise, I don't know yet because they not arrived yet, I hope to get them begin next week.

I think you meant ATS (all Farang are ATM’s here), the inverter does do that switchover automatically.  If you use more power than your solar or batteries can produce (if you’ve set it up that way) it will bypass the inverter and switch all loads to the PEA.  It’s an immensely capable but complicated inverter with some very clever features like only using X% of your batteries except in a power cut when it can use Y%.

The manual on the MUST inverter is better than most, but I’m still not entirely sure of a few things.  Also, if you’re running 3 in parallel as I am doing, I’m not sure whether you set up inverter 1 and it slaves the other 2 or whether I have to set up all 3. 

Hello JB,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes of course it must be an ATS, and I'm awhere in this country, especially to my partner about ATM, however she always working for there own mony, not to much but I can support her.

Yes the inverters are at home, 2 pieces, waiting for the parallel cards, but that is the first thing what surprised me, there is a small mountingplate from about 10x1.5 cm, I can't imagine there have to mount in a parallel card, see pictures.

You make me scare  about adjusting the inverters.

I was under the assumption the inverter take over the ATS (switch) by itself or not? Do I need the separate switch?

The batterybank from 48V 260Ah is also arrived, including assembled balancer/BYD, later I think I buy a second bank.

There is no CDROM included, the shop send me a link to download the file, I did but looks like difficult, but It was including WiFi module, I download the app already.

Another question, I'll mount the 2 inverters down under the carport, and it takes about 15 meter to the electrical box in the house.

I supposed 25 SQ mm is sufficient but can't find this cable, yes only the expansive battery cable from more than 200 thb/m

Anyway, again waiting for the parallel card, after that have to mount 4 solar cells from 450 W, later I'll order 8 more.

Coverplate 1.jpg

Coverplate 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Tubulat said:

Hello JB,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes of course it must be an ATS, and I'm awhere in this country, especially to my partner about ATM, however she always working for there own mony, not to much but I can support her.

Yes the inverters are at home, 2 pieces, waiting for the parallel cards, but that is the first thing what surprised me, there is a small mountingplate from about 10x1.5 cm, I can't imagine there have to mount in a parallel card, see pictures.

I was under the assumption the inverter take over the ATS (switch) by itself or not? Do I need the separate switch?

The batterybank from 48V 260Ah is also arrived, including assembled balancer/BYD, later I think I buy a second bank.

There is no CDROM included, the shop send me a link to download the file, I did but looks like difficult, but It was including WiFi module, I download the app already.

Another question, I'll mount the 2 inverters down under the carport, and it takes about 15 meter to the electrical box in the house.

I supposed 25 SQ mm is sufficient but can't find this cable, yes only the expansive battery cable from more than 200 thb/m

Anyway, again waiting for the parallel card, after that have to mount 4 solar cells from 450 W, later I'll order 8 more.

The cable from battery to inverter needs to be as short as possible , since that 1 is the 1 which draws large amount of amps (5000w @48v is +100Amps ) . The battery bank is not extremely big , can't you put them closer to the inverter ? If not possible , then the cable needs indeed to be very big , i'm not sure what size but would not surprise me if you need bigger then 25sq mm . Did you also check aluminium cables , add up 1 size vs copper , but much cheaper . Also , doubling the cables ( keep length same ) might prove a solution .

10 minutes ago, sezze said:

The cable from battery to inverter needs to be as short as possible , since that 1 is the 1 which draws large amount of amps (5000w @48v is +100Amps ) . The battery bank is not extremely big , can't you put them closer to the inverter ? If not possible , then the cable needs indeed to be very big , i'm not sure what size but would not surprise me if you need bigger then 25sq mm . Did you also check aluminium cables , add up 1 size vs copper , but much cheaper . Also , doubling the cables ( keep length same ) might prove a solution .

Hello Sezze,

it is not the cable from the batterys to the inverter, the batterys stays on the ground, 1 meter below the inverter, so that will be as short as possible.

No, I talking about the the cables to the grid and v.v. it is about 15 mtr into the house, I like to use 25 SQ mm cupper, I don't like aluminium to use for cable.

There is a 'AC input' connection and an 'AC output' connection.

8 hours ago, Tubulat said:

Hello Sezze,

it is not the cable from the batterys to the inverter, the batterys stays on the ground, 1 meter below the inverter, so that will be as short as possible.

No, I talking about the the cables to the grid and v.v. it is about 15 mtr into the house, I like to use 25 SQ mm cupper, I don't like aluminium to use for cable.

There is a 'AC input' connection and an 'AC output' connection.

Did you know that many high power cables these days all over the world use alu instead of copper ?

Also , i did check a calculator to check cable size . It gives me for 40 amps -> 9kW -> 8AWG for copper (10mm2 ) and 6 AWG (16mm2) for alu .

https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2014/04/electrical-wire-cable-size-calculator.html

Nobody is stopping you to buy 25mm2 copper cable , but it is a serious overkill ( it's your money ...) .

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2021 at 5:32 PM, Tubulat said:

Hello JB,

Thanks for your reply,

Coverplate 1.jpg

Coverplate 2.jpg

my inverters came from the factory with parallel cards pre-installed although they didn’t set up the DIP switches.

You don’t need a separate ATS, here’s how I think it works, the manual is not clear.  The inverter sometimes joins the input and output together and optionally boosts the voltage to sell back to the grid, or it can load match ie solar and/or battery providing power in-sync with the grid but not feed back to the grid, or it can power the output on its own disconnecting from the grid in a power cut or it can join the input and output together in bypass mode if battery empty or no solar.

with 2 inverters and assuming they are about 5Kw each, you want cable rated at over 50amps from PEA to inverters and then from inverters to electrical box in the house.  I prefer to leave anything with high current (>10amps) to the experts.

With those MUST inverters, if you buy a 2nd battery assembly, you have to wire them both to a bus bar or equivalent and then from the bus bar to each inverter keeping the cable lengths from bus bar to inverter the same.  Ideally, your batteries should be identical with BMS set the same and same length cables to the bus bar.  The inverters will show an error if the cable lengths from bus bar to inverter are different for your two inverters.

If you’re using the batteries for power cuts, set the inverter to not charge to a SoC higher than 80-90%, they don’t like to be kept at 100%. If you’re cycling them every day a DoD of no more than 80% and (optionally) 100% if grid power not present (my view is that shortening the life of the batteries by fully discharging in an emergency situation is more important and a highly unlikely scenario with sizable batteries).

You can do all the settings without software and a PC. I’ve also fitted a good quality 15/45 spinning meter next to the inverters between PEA and inverters, I just need to make sure that meter has a higher reading on it each month when they come to read the PEA meter 200 meters away outside the (private) Moo Baan.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:08 AM, sezze said:

Did you know that many high power cables these days all over the world use alu instead of copper ?

Also , i did check a calculator to check cable size . It gives me for 40 amps -> 9kW -> 8AWG for copper (10mm2 ) and 6 AWG (16mm2) for alu .

https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2014/04/electrical-wire-cable-size-calculator.html

Nobody is stopping you to buy 25mm2 copper cable , but it is a serious overkill ( it's your money ...) .

I developed our Moo Baan and kept it private so all the individual PEA meters are outside the Moo Baan and we have underground, copper NYY cables I think they’re called to each house.

The Electrician who laid them all, sized each cable up for 100amp continuous, the furthest from the meter have thicker cables.

CAT Telecom were kind enough to give me enough Fibre to lay in the same trench and underneath it all is a water ring main to our own water treatment plant.

On the top is a 24v DC ring main with 50 lights around the perimeter of the 4 rai  lake we get our water from.  

Having no overhead cables and lake perimeter lighting is quite magical.