All foreigners now tested entering Phuket

RobMuir

Good morning

On Tuesday I posted the ease of which I got through the Phuket gateway just past the Sarasin bridge.

They have stepped up and now checking all foreigners and anybody from red zone provinces.

Apparently they had a meeting yesterday and this is the result. Annoying, but the right thing to do to stop the spread of the B1.1.7 strain. 

I was prepared to do the test but the Thai who was driving decided he would take me back and dump me at a coffee shop and try his luck getting through without me.

So I don't know if they were charging the 500, I assume so.

Stay safe everyone, be diligent, this UK strain is something else.

IMG20210429073949.jpg

IMG20210429073834.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

Help me to understand better. So the right thing to do to stop the spread of the UK strain is to only stop foreigners and not Thai? So let's say a foreigner was close to a Thai before the checkpoint, the Thai cannot be infected? Or Thai people are immune? Let us understand this logic... If we can speak about logic in this whole nonsense..

Sorry, logic and Thailand are two words not to be found in the same sentence. It's called "Thai Style" for a reason.

• Like 2

this is revolting

I have no words!

I don't understand how the OP "RobMuir" can think that only testing foreigners is "the right thing to do" !!!!

they hope to catch some positive farangs and extort money to send them to hospital for a sick amount of $$$

this is racist money-grabbing! it's not designed to help contain the virus !  protest now!

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tgw said:

this is racist money-grabbing

I think if was a money grab it would be a lot more than a piddly little 500 baht. The tests cost 200 each. With thousands of Thais being tested free pretty sure they are running at a loss.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

They are testing all Thais from red zones

What if the Thai from red zone stopped in cafe Amazon in phangnga and infected 5 Thais from non red zone and those 5 would cross the checkpoint shortly after?Not tested, and infected.

Edited by Sundown
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sundown said:

What if the Thai from red zone stopped in cafe Amazon in phangnga and infected 5 Thais from non red zone?

Yes totally possible, but how many other countries test interstate travellers?

A lot better than nothing and everyone gets temperature tested.

Credit where credit due.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I think if was a money grab it would be a lot more than a piddly little 500 baht. The tests cost 200 each. With thousands of Thais being tested free pretty sure they are running at a loss.

not the test... sending positives to the hospital

59 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I think you misunderstood. I saw over 100 people being tested, all or if not all then the vast majority were Thais (or looked like Thais).I didn't notice any other farangs there when I went through.

All Thais from red zone provinces were tested. They asked for ID cards which has their address.

Definitely the right thing to do, no big deal, better than people dying a horrific death.

don't waste your time, it won't fit their racist agendas..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So... The title of the thread is somewhat off... 

Everyone tested entering Phuket, except those with Thai ID from outside a red zone. 

-------

I agree testing everyone entering the island is a good idea. 

Not testing those whose ID (home) is outside of a red zone is flawed. 

Agree or don’t agree with the charging of foreigners only - testing as many people as possible still helps. 

The Ops ‘friend got through’ perhaps because his ID shows his home not from a Red Zone province, I assume. This highlights the flaw in logical thinking. 

I agree with them doing the testing. Everyone has the right to protect their area from invasion of infectious and sometimes deadly disease like this.

So I guess after 1 July, it'll also be the right thing to do to put anyone coming from Phuket into 14-21 days state quarantine in every other province. To prevent the spread of all the strains that arrivals without quarantine would bring into Phuket.

I don't quite get the scenario, so OP you didn't go through, dropped off at a cafe, for how long, did you ever get through, so where did you go, where is home......!?

How are you sure they would test you if you didn't go through...? Foreigners also register their residence via TM.30 or 90 day reporting etc. , maybe can show a photo or a photocopy of something with address, my Thai license has my address on the back , or they can check on police/immigration computer, not hard ...., so maybe if foreigner is Phuket resident can go through without test ....! 

On 4/29/2021 at 5:29 PM, RobMuir said:

I think you misunderstood. I saw over 100 people being tested, all or if not all then the vast majority were Thais (or looked like Thais).I didn't notice any other farangs there when I went through.

All Thais from red zone provinces were tested. They asked for ID cards which has their address.

Definitely the right thing to do, no big deal, better than people dying a horrific death.

You mean the 300 who have died of Covid (supposedly) or the 30,000 who die every year from road accidents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

You mean the 300 who have died of Covid (supposedly) or the 30,000 who die every year from road accidents.

If they had sit back and done nothing like the UK, USA, Brazil etc etc a lot more than 30,000 would save died. 

3 hours ago, RobMuir said:

If they had sit back and done nothing like the UK, USA, Brazil etc etc a lot more than 30,000 would save died. 

Add 4000+ daily death now in India to that list, though Thai people really follow rules religiously, however, if they let loose completely, who knows...!

@Henryford "Horrific"  if you are after, check news of "black fungus" killing diabetes recoverd two weeks from Covid after steroids use in India..., if that doesn't scare you, nothing will ...!!!? ????

We (me and my wife) travel on a regular basis between Phang Nga and Phuket and we both are getting tested when entering Phuket.

They test everybody regardless where you came from and the test result is valid for 3 days. (you get a small green card with the date on it)

Also Thai's traveling alone have to be tested if they don't have a vaccine certificate or a recent test result.