Jomtien: Pick-up ends up in the sea after swerving to miss motorcycle on "dark" beach road

webfact

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

In Britain we are taught never to swerve fo any reason; just brake application in a straight line, as swerving can cause death and destruction on a much greater scale.

It is a natural instinct to swerve to avoid hitting anything or anyone. Many years ago I took my advanced driving test in the UK and for that you are taught how to swerve.  Swerving in wet weather is a totally different thing, but again it is about understanding what happens to the car in that situation and reacting accordingly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

So they must have removed the speed bumps for him, otherwise your comment makes zero sense

Should have added, too many speed bumps to go any faster, safely.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

In Britain we are taught never to swerve fo any reason; just brake application in a straight line, as swerving can cause death and destruction on a much greater scale.

Same same for the US. If there is a deer in front of you it is advised to try to brake but if not just hit it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Same same for the US. If there is a deer in front of you it is advised to try to brake but if not just hit it.

I will keep that in mind for next time a deer bounds in front of me on Jomtien Beach Road.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

"Still must have been going a fair rate of knots." is pure speculation.

I can see the incident as described being entirely plausible even at such a slow speed of 40km/h....

Should I  jump on the "all Thai's are idiot drivers" bandwagon instead ?

Plausible = speculative. ie, my guess is as good as yours.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I'm sure the motorcyclist is greatfull the driver was not British... and the good news is the beach will recover after treatment.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I'm sure the motorcyclist is greatfull the driver was not British... and the good news is the beach will recover after treatment.

A fairly valid point though... 

How many of ‘those’ videos have we seen of a ‘culprit’ vehicle causing an accident then driving / riding off completely untouched while a completely innocent passing vehicle or bystander gets cleaned out and caught up in a terrible mess, or worse.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

"Still must have been going a fair rate of knots." is pure speculation.

I can see the incident as described being entirely plausible even at such a slow speed of 40km/h....

Should I  jump on the "all Thai's are idiot drivers" bandwagon instead ?

You really think that he couldn't have braked at 40km/h and didn't have to park his car in the water ???? please . He probably had something to drink and much to dark windows . I have driven there many times and would have to be a reaaaaally strange event to make you end up where he was . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Utterly nonsense!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago,  trainman34014 said: 

12 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Easier said than done for sure.

Not if you are driving a train as the username would suggest!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

My friend, driving in London braked sharply and caused a 3 car pile up, the

chap behind asked angrily 'why did you brake? Friend replied 'there was a

pigeon in the road'.  Sometimes its best not to brake at all.

21 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I'm pretty sure we were not taught never to swerve, rather that braking in a straight line is the safest option if possible. 

If I hadn't swerved pretty violently on the A51 in Cheshire many years ago I would have had a head-on collision with an army guy on a home visit from Germany who had 'forgotten' which country he was in.

Edited by Moonlover

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats a valid point... 

Nearly every time I drive I save a motorcyclists by braking.... (or it feels like that).

They simply cut in front of me or pull out from a side road without looking - IF didn’t brake I’d hit them or it would be very close. 

When riding my bike its worse, they still pull out forcing me to brake. 

Yep , a mate who lives just a few kilometres away had the same as me 4 days ago.

We both had scooters pull out from the right across our paths , no other traffic about but no intention of looking or waiting.  The one who was stopped over to my right  was just looking straight over the road , not left nor right , then after he pulled across the road he got a blast from my horn and he wobbled from left to right in the middle of the road. To think one day if he lives long enough he will get a pick up.

10 hours ago, talahtnut said:

My friend, driving in London braked sharply and caused a 3 car pile up, the

chap behind asked angrily 'why did you brake? Friend replied 'there was a

pigeon in the road'.  Sometimes its best not to brake at all.

Ah; but the pile up wasn't your friends fault, the Morons behind him were not 'driving within a safe braking distance'....something else we are taught !     If you hit anyone from behind in Britain it's always you who is liable, Indeed; you can be charged with Careless Driving.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, Andy from Kent said:

Avoiding excessive speed, if that's the case, will diminish the need for either braking or swerving.

The OP said the m'bike cut in front. If that was the case one would have to be almost stationary to avoid braking or swerving.

IMO if a m'bike rider is so stupid they have to accept responsibility if it all goes wrong.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, Moonlover said:

If I hadn't swerved pretty violently on the A51 in Cheshire many years ago I would have had a head-on collision with an army guy on a home visit from Germany who had 'forgotten' which country he was in.

Reminds me of the time American troops were on exercise in NZ. I was driving a 5 ton truck and thought to sound the horn before going round a blind corner on a narrow road. On the other side was a jeep with 4 very pale US soldiers that had forgotten to drive on the left.