Thais evacuated as fighting continues along Myanmar border

webfact

4f9d7dc9beaf84897b71f2c657a7eed2_small.jpg

By Paphamon Arayasukawat

Mae Hong Son (NNT) - Thai villagers by the Thailand-Myanmar border in Mae Hong Son have again been evacuated as fighting between the KNU and Myanmar military continues near the border.

Around 70 villagers of Baan Tha Ta Fung by the Thailand-Myanmar border in Mae Sariang district of Mae Hong Son were the latest to be evacuated to a safer area, as fighting between the Karen National Union (KNU) and the Myanmar army continues on the Myanmar side of the border.

With most of the evacuees being children, women, and the elderly, the Commander of the 36th Ranger Forces Regiment’s special unit Col Smattachai Pangsai, ordered the civil affairs division to assist officials from the Mae Sariang District Office and Mae Yuam Subdistrict Municipality to carry out the evacuation, as well as deliver essential items to villagers still residing in the area.

An evacuation center has been set up at Huaykongkad School in Sop Moei district, with a mobile clinic on-site to perform health screening and provide medicine to evacuees. The army’s 36th Mobile Development Unit is also supplying drinking water at this shelter.

68 villagers from Myanmar have crossed Salaween River into Thailand as they flee the fighting. They are now settling in at Baan Tha Ta Fung in Mae Sariang district, designated as the intake area.

Thai officials have secured the area of Baan Mae Sam Laeb on the Thai border for greater security. Unauthorized persons are now prohibited from entering the village.

An assessment by Thai security agencies suggests the fighting on the Myanmar side of the border continues, with air raids and gunshots being heard continuously. Thai Ranger Forces stationed along the border are now monitoring the situation closely.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, phil2407 said:

So much for the agreement with ASEAN 

For reference and I quote from today's Yahoo News (AP) May 1st 2021:-

"Schraner Burgener (UN envoy) spoke by video from Bangkok where she returned after traveling to Jakarta to meet participants in the April 24 ministerial meeting of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations known as ASEAN which includes Myanmar and was attended by the junta’s military commander, Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing.

The U.N. envoy said she met the (Burmese) commander-in-chief on the ASEAN sidelines and they agreed “to keep details of the exchange discreet to allow for continued frank and open discussions,” but she assured the council she “amplified” on the statements its 15 members had approved".

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/un-envoy-myanmar-military-faces-175324702.html

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Kudos to the KNU. Many of us wish them great success. And if I could find a way to send them some cash, I would.

Fighting a terrorist and serial killing army is always a great and brave thing to do. 

And perhaps when they finished there , hopefully successfully, they will pop over the border and sort this crowd out ????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, I truly despise the Thai army, what they have done to this nation, the regression they have caused, the political oppression, the press censorship and the daily proclamations, declarations and false promises.

And their utter failure to contain the second wave is something that I think should never be forgiven. The fear of the "optics of a lockdown", in one tiny area, is never a good excuse for gross neglect, and a betrayal of the people. 

However, I suppose we are fortunate to not be facing a serial killing group of terrorists and thugs, like the truly heinous Tatmadaw. 

True. (Expressed through clamped teeth and pressed lips).

13 hours ago, Bradmeister said:

Increase patrols of Army and Navy now, before the new mutation finds its way across our rivers and boarders.....

Beware the conflict to our East. 

You think the Thai military should prevent civilians from fleeing the conflict area and keep them in the cross-fire between the KNU and Tatmadaw, and vulnerable to reprisals by the Tatmadaw?

BTW, Myanmar is west of Thailand.

5 hours ago, BusyB said:

True. (Expressed through clamped teeth and pressed lips).

Yes. Being educated once was enough. I do not need a "re-education", especially from fake puritans. No, he is not the man. Just a high ranked boss. And no, I refuse to keep quiet in the face of persecution, injustice, gross neglect, indifference and continued oppression of the will of the people. 

• Like 1