Bangkok Residents: Beware Of High-tide

george

Bangkok residents: Beware of high-tide

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Drainage and Sewerage Division Sunday warns residents living along the Chao Phya River to brace for possible flash floods, as high tide will push the river's water level to 1.87 metre above sea level.

Flood victims can call Tel. 0-2248-5115 for help.

-- The Nation

Last Thursday evening, I was working at a place on the banks of the river here in BKK. I got off about 7:00

and came out to see the pier where my work place is, to be completely under water. I had never seen that before. I asked some of the Thai staff if that happens very often; one said, sometimes, I said well how often. He said he's seen it 3 times--in the last 16 years!

We're down the river aways, close to the mouth, so I don't know what it was like closer to the city center.

If this is a silly question then please excuse it...

How high is the normal Bangkok water level compared to sea level?

Perhaps you mean to ask what is the normal sea level.

Um, nope. There are several water 'gates 'around bangkok which keep the water levels fairly consistent.

What I want to know is, if the sea levels rise 1.87 metres, as reported, will the water levels in Bangkok rise the same? Or will the inland water levels be restricted to prevent flooding of my house for example, which is only about 1.3 metres above the highest tide during the night?

If this is a silly question then please excuse it...

How high is the normal Bangkok water level compared to sea level?

Perhaps you mean to ask what is the normal sea level.

Um, nope. There are several water 'gates 'around bangkok which keep the water levels fairly consistent.

What I want to know is, if the sea levels rise 1.87 metres, as reported, will the water levels in Bangkok rise the same? Or will the inland water levels be restricted to prevent flooding of my house for example, which is only about 1.3 metres above the highest tide during the night?

Assuming the use of the "watergates' is effective, and we have a really heavy rainy season, will central Thailand along the Ping, Yom & Nan rivers be allowed to flood massively in order to save Bangkok? . How much of an effect on the flood control situation has the Suvarnabhumi airport had on the flood plains that now lie below the airport. Has airport construction seriously hampered the drainage of water away from the capital via the main east-west klongs?