Phuket officials consider lifting rapid test requirement

webfact

1620362143_1-org.jpg

Phuket Vice Governor Piyapong Choowong (left) explains the rapid antigen test situation while visiting the Phuket Check Point in Tha Chatchai yesterday (May 6). Screenshot: PR Dept

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Phuket officials are conjuring whether to continue the rapid antigen test for people arriving in Phuket at all from May 15, now that it has been announced that it would no longer be free for Thais from that date on.

Phuket Vice Governor Piyapong Choowong announced the move to reconsider lifting the rapid antigen test requirement during a live broadcast interview from the Phuket Check Point at Tha Chatchai yesterday (May 6).

As of Apr 22, all people arriving from ‘red zone’ provinces have been required to prove they are fully vaccinated or had tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours of arriving.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-consider-lifting-rapid-test-requirement-79926.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-05-07

• Confused 2

So it is clear.. Phuket doesn't want foreigners... if they pay they are welcome, but the same rules for Thais.. than we delete the Rapid test.  Afraid that the Thais will stay away, but foreigners can and have to pay.. no exceptions

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: Phuket officials are conjuring whether to continue the rapid antigen test for people arriving in Phuket at all from May 15, now that it has been announced that it would no longer be free for Thais from that date on.

A clear example if you ever needed it of just why Thailand's figures are completely bogus. 

and there it was in the background, the death cry of the sandbox....???? You can just picture it, Thailand encouraging tourists to come to Phuket, selling safety and security whilst thousands of poor and desperate infected Thais pour in to try and make some money from them.....

The Racists in Phuket, now we remember.... if your on a budget from Mogadishu....don't bother coming.

If you're wealthy, and look Asian, yes please come. 

If you're not from Asia we will call you a "foreigner" and force you to be subjected to a swab test.

Oh, yeah.....and at your expense, of the amazingly low Covid 19 sales price of 500baht!

So I should be discriminated, harrassed and extorted because of my nationality, ethnicity or my color when coming to Phuket?

No thank you.  I'll enjoy the rest of Thailand instead. 

It is just not worthwhile the hassle. They had 23 positives at the bridge whereof 5 were false. Under current circumstances, who drives to Phuket anyhow ? Only people who really need to, definitely no tourists, as the place unfortunately is extremly quiet, due to restrictions in place. Get greater BKK finally sorted and let people breathe again.

• Like 2

Where are the Phuket forum folks who supported this extra pricing for foreigners as being justified, and who were calling us cheap Charlies when we were standing on the matter being one of principle.  What will they say now since even Thai's must pay regardless if they pay into the medical system or not.  It is still the principle in my view, and even now with the Phuket Governor wanting to charge Thais, its still the principle since they are covered by the National Health care system and should not be paying as well as those foreigners who pay into the system as well as the migrant workers.   Whose pockets is he trying to fill, since the testing strips can be expended and the province reimbursed through a government plan.  Sillier and sillier this becomes.

• Confused 1

Disorganized with no overall strategy. Would be laughable if consequences not so bad.

I doubt potential foreign tourists care. They are not going to Phuket this year and this does not touch them.

phuket tourism is dead until  December 2021 at best if no explosion of infection.

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

So it is clear.. Phuket doesn't want foreigners... if they pay they are welcome, but the same rules for Thais.. than we delete the Rapid test.  Afraid that the Thais will stay away, but foreigners can and have to pay.. no exceptions

Where in the linked article did it say that foreigners would be treated any differently than Thais with regard to testing and cost after May 15?

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket officials are conjuring whether to continue the rapid antigen test for people arriving in Phuket at all from May 15, now that it has been announced that it would no longer be free for Thais from that date on.

Are they consulting a mor doo (fortune teller)?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't think anyplace wants foreigners who are a burden on the public purse.

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Looks like they don't want anyone coming in and are using the discourage and deter method which is so common here.

I would imagine arrivals are deminimus right now so antigen testing (unreliably) isn't really necessary. I believe visitors still have to show the 72 hr - Covid test for entry.