Renewing drivers license. Have things changed?

2 hours ago, BangkokAlan said:

Hi there, warning to anyone going to  DLT Chatuchak for Thai license renewal don't bother. I went along this morning they have a full area set up for  foreigners to check all our documents, which they did and were correct but sent every foreigner away and said that we have to contact their call centre 1584 or check their website at DLT.go.th.

Anyway in short got through to the call centre and they have said they are not accepting any foreigners license applications until further notice and according to the announcement we were given at DLT this morning it say you can drive on expired license to that expires between 10th April and 30th June 2021 but the call centre said you can drive on expired license for 1 year. No information on the website.

A complete waste of time going to British embassy for a residence affirmation and to get a medical certificate if only they could just communicate their process to foreign residents. 

And what the point of checking our documents and then stating we cannot apply.

Perhaps its just an issue for Bangkok or dark red zone.

It keeps ten times more government employees on the payroll than they actually need. That's why

Need to renew car and bike licence (5 year ones I have) at end of this month. I know requirement for medical certificate but do I still need the residency certificate from immigration (500 baht I think they charge) as well. ? Have non immigrant O Retirement visa in passport.

Need to renew car and bike licence (5 year ones I have) at end of this month. I know requirement for medical certificate but do I still need the residency certificate from immigration (500 baht I think they charge) as well. ? Have non immigrant O Retirement visa in passport.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:03 AM, BangkokAlan said:

Hi there, warning to anyone going to  DLT Chatuchak for Thai license renewal don't bother. I went along this morning they have a full area set up for  foreigners to check all our documents, which they did and were correct but sent every foreigner away and said that we have to contact their call centre 1584 or check their website at DLT.go.th.

Anyway in short got through to the call centre and they have said they are not accepting any foreigners license applications until further notice and according to the announcement we were given at DLT this morning it say you can drive on expired license to that expires between 10th April and 30th June 2021 but the call centre said you can drive on expired license for 1 year. No information on the website.

It was at Chatuchak I assume as its the only one you can just walk in?
I booked appointment (before this recent lockdown happened) for beginning of June at BangChak office, hope i still can do it (2 to 5 yr)

On 5/13/2021 at 8:07 AM, nchuckle said:

yes you need it

Im sure if you previously booked an appointment it will be ok, the hold on renewals and appointments started 16th April according to the sheet she gave me but they never told anyone that it had changed so people just keep turning up.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:38 AM, BangkokAlan said:

Im sure if you previously booked an appointment it will be ok, the hold on renewals and appointments started 16th April according to the sheet she gave me but they never told anyone that it had changed so people just keep turning up.

I am not sure about it as they suspended all "gathering together" service (watching the video). 

• 2 weeks later...

Went in to our DLT today. Women said easy to do as they not have many people at the moment and they didn't. I had just been to immigration to do my 90 day report and was told had to go back to IO, with the DLT letter, to get a letter from IO. Called IO and they said I need copy of lease, owners Tabien baan etc which made me wonder how I reported my residence status this morning without a copy of my lease but anyhoo...... next step to find a clinic for a med certificate which isn't easy here in the middle of the day. Finally found one, took only blood pressure which I am sure read 156 / 90 but he wrote 120/70 on the report. 100 baht. We were told we had to go to a private driving school to do the test and watch a 1 hour video (In Thai only lol). Went there. Woman made me do thumb scans for 10 minutes. Why I don't know. Then she sort of gazed at my passport and fiddled around for 20 minutes, made several phone calls. Didn't even really see her entering much into the computer. then they sent me in the video room. Sat there for 30 minutes staring at 2 other people. No video, didn't even have the TV turned on. At that point got my Wife to call them and see what time the video started as I had already been there an hour. They said all finished 13.17 lol. How they knew that to the minute I don't know but anyhow. So after about 15 min they called me out and seemed to have all the paperwork done. More thumb scans and done. No video, no color or stopping tests. I can only assume for them the whole purpose of the exercise and the thumbs scans are to prove to DLT you were actually there for a period of time. Off to immigration in the morning to get my Residence letter and back to DLT hopefully to get my new license. 

Edited by Kenny202

• 2 weeks later...

So fyi, I went to DLT Bang Chak (Area 3) yesterday with appointment and all was fine, even though there were signs with "no driver license renewal at the moment"

No video watching, only reaction, depth perception and color test

With me were 3 other foreigners, in and out in <30 mins.

Documents:

Copy of passport and workpermit (with address), medical certificate, expired DL and passport (each 2x, if you do car and motorbike)

Edited by Buuge
  • Like 1